Who would be Interested

Printable View

• 09-07-2006, 07:49 PM
    another view
    Re: Who would be Interested
    Isn't Lone Star actually made by Pabst? Touche! :D

Plenty of other beer opportunities in Milwaukee. Austin is really a great place to be too especially with spring in the hill country. I'm not helping, am I?
  • 09-07-2006, 08:35 PM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    Okay, we in Milwaukee don't actually count that one as beer. It's one of those "trick name" things.

Don't worry, we have one of those trick names down here too...Texas Pride. It's nothing of the sort.
  • 09-07-2006, 08:55 PM
    photophorous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Isn't Lone Star actually made by Pabst? Touche! :D

Plenty of other beer opportunities in Milwaukee. Austin is really a great place to be too especially with spring in the hill country. I'm not helping, am I?

I didn't know that, but you're right. :eek: They also make Old Milwaukee. :D

I know most people probably don't think of Texas as being a good place for microbrews, but we really have some good ones here.
  • 09-07-2006, 09:28 PM
    Dylan8i
    all those places listed in the west are hundreds if not thousands of miles apart.

the 3 days i spent in the smokies made me swear i'd return. and hopefully will next summer. but there isn't much around except the park.
  • 09-08-2006, 07:26 PM
    zrfraser
    The Biltmore house is extremely nice and is in the Smokies. There is a place on the property that you can see three states I believe and is simply breathtaking. Not sure if you can do photograohy inside the house (I know its no flash just not sure about photography), but you can shoot around the grounds all you want. Plus, there is wine tasting and you can even stay on the grounds I believe. Just another suggestion to the people who want to go to the Smokies.

Z
  • 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM
    walterick
    Since Nashville and Gatlinburg seem fairly close, this is what I envisioned today:

Friday night: meeting and dinner in Nashville
    Saturday: do Nashville
    Sunday: drive to Gatlinburg and do the Smokies.

Anyone interested in staying longer could stay a few extra days in the Smokies. Anyone with a limited amount of time could travel back to Nashville Sunday night.

Just a thought!
  • 09-08-2006, 09:00 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zrfraser
    The Biltmore house... Not sure if you can do photograohy inside the house

Nope, just outside but there are great shots to be had there (at least a few years ago). Only problem is with time of day for quality of light and flocks of tourists in your shot... You can check your camera inside the front door of the mansion (I didn't) or it's a long trip back to the car - or skip it, of course. But it's an amazing place, four acres of floor space I think.
  • 09-08-2006, 09:58 PM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Nashville :idea: Nashville :idea:

that is where all the country music is played

:9: :17:

I guess all the country music talk changed your mind walter ? no more arizona talk ??

:2:
  • 09-10-2006, 11:30 AM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Since Nashville and Gatlinburg seem fairly close, this is what I envisioned today:

Friday night: meeting and dinner in Nashville
    Saturday: do Nashville
    Sunday: drive to Gatlinburg and do the Smokies.

Anyone interested in staying longer could stay a few extra days in the Smokies. Anyone with a limited amount of time could travel back to Nashville Sunday night.

Just a thought!

Not abad idea --- It averages about $20 a person with about 20-30 to charter a bus to drive us there and back (Smokies) as opposed to people renting cars....also an idea for another destination....
  • 09-10-2006, 12:21 PM
    adina
    2 Attachment(s)
    Biltmore estate...which is in North Carolina, so it might be a bit of a drive from Nashville, it's like 5 hours. That'd be a bit of a hike after everyone had already travelled to get there.
  • 09-10-2006, 03:34 PM
    walterick
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    I guess all the country music talk changed your mind walter ? no more arizona talk ??

Ha! The Arizona movement has gone underground. Don't you worry, it will resurface when you least expect it :D
  • 09-10-2006, 08:19 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Now this is truly WEIRD...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    but Nashville has Broadway which is the downtown area with lots of bars/music...

Ok, is this kismet, or what? I for one would really like to visit Nashville, mainly to network a bit for music photo work, and who do you suppose has also expressed interested among this informal group?

Lets' see. Sebastian, Adina, Michael, and Steve. And what pray tell do we all have in common???

CHI-CA-GO... :thumbsup:

I think we should start our own thread...:cool:
  • 09-11-2006, 06:05 AM
    adina
    HaHa!!!!!!!

Take that Arizona!
  • 09-11-2006, 06:58 AM
    dmm96452
    I've lived near Nashville before. Nice town. It would be cool to go back.
  • 09-11-2006, 07:52 AM
    walterick
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    HaHa!!!!!!!

Take that Arizona!

Watch it, missy! I'll make shreaded cheez out of your Milwaukee gathering with my spiney cacti!
  • 09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    They also make Old Milwaukee. :D

In college we used to call it Old Mill Water... :D
  • 09-11-2006, 10:36 AM
    brianc
    1 Attachment(s)
    Picking up on the why AZ
    can you say 6.8% of frothy goodness.

(plus I could lead a MTB photo day....)
  • 09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
    Pepper523
    At Old Timer's request:
    Things of interest in and around Nashville, TN.
    1. Lower Broad--Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, Ernest Tubb Record Shop, Robert's Western World, Hatch Show Print and all the buskers trying to make a living (my husband included).
    2. The Ryman Auditorium-- The mother church of country music--still (or again) the place for live music. (Been there twice--it's amazing!) Tours of the famous stage and a museum are available on a daily basis.
    3. Opryland Hotel and Convention Center-- A lesson in extravagance. With a running river through the hotel, waterfalls and indoor gardens, it's worth a look.
    4. The new Schermerhorn Symphony Hall-- The new home of the Nashville Symphony. The hall opened just last Saturday and appears to be magnificent.
    5. Fort Nashborough-- Located on the Cumberland River right off of Lower Broad.
    6. The Parthenon at Centennial Park-- Our Parthenon was built as a part of Tennessee's 100th anniversary of statehood. It also houses an art gallery.
    7. Several Civil War Sites-- including Stones River National Battlefield (a little southeast of Nashville between Smyrna and Murfreesboro).
    8. The Gibson Guitar Factory-- Free tours, but reservations are required.
    9. Germantown-- Oktoberfest (since I think you're planning an October trip). They have beer. :)
    10. And if anyone just can't go to TN without seeing Graceland, Memphis is only 3 hours away.

If I think of more, I'll be sure to let you know.

Stephanie

Oh, and about the Waffle House on every corner, skip Waffle House and head for the Pancake Pantry over on 21st. I think it's one of Garth Brooks' favorite places.
  • 09-11-2006, 12:13 PM
    adina
    Nashville it is!

That's still my vote.
  • 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
    Old Timer
    Thanks Steph. I think this will help people know what there is to see, do and photograph in Nashville. If you know a good web site for the Nashville area you might add that too.
  • 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper523
    At Old Timer's request:
    Things of interest in and around Nashville, TN.
    1. Lower Broad--Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, Ernest Tubb Record Shop, Robert's Western World, Hatch Show Print and all the buskers trying to make a living (my husband included).
    2. The Ryman Auditorium-- The mother church of country music--still (or again) the place for live music. (Been there twice--it's amazing!) Tours of the famous stage and a museum are available on a daily basis.
    3. Opryland Hotel and Convention Center-- A lesson in extravagance. With a running river through the hotel, waterfalls and indoor gardens, it's worth a look.
    4. The new Schermerhorn Symphony Hall-- The new home of the Nashville Symphony. The hall opened just last Saturday and appears to be magnificent.
    5. Fort Nashborough-- Located on the Cumberland River right off of Lower Broad.
    6. The Parthenon at Centennial Park-- Our Parthenon was built as a part of Tennessee's 100th anniversary of statehood. It also houses an art gallery.
    7. Several Civil War Sites-- including Stones River National Battlefield (a little southeast of Nashville between Smyrna and Murfreesboro).
    8. The Gibson Guitar Factory-- Free tours, but reservations are required.
    9. Germantown-- Oktoberfest (since I think you're planning an October trip). They have beer. :)
    10. And if anyone just can't go to TN without seeing Graceland, Memphis is only 3 hours away.

If I think of more, I'll be sure to let you know.

Stephanie

Oh, and about the Waffle House on every corner, skip Waffle House and head for the Pancake Pantry over on 21st. I think it's one of Garth Brooks' favorite places.

Thnak You that's awesome! Number 9 works for me---not a beer drinker but always willing to learn new skills----:D

this website is worth checking out---lots and lots of info..http://www.visitmusiccity.com/
  • 09-18-2006, 07:55 AM
    natatbeach
    trying to keep this fresh...and keep it from disappearing