• 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
    Speed
    1 Attachment(s)
    When I Woke Up This Morning...
    I had no idea that I would have a new lens this afternoon.

A pro photographer we know bought a D200 early last year. He couldn't find the body only, so he bought one with the 18-70mm kit lens. He tried the lens and decided he didn't particuarly like it. Now he's going through a divorce, and could use some "positive cash flow". On the way to work this morning, Dawn asks if I know if he has any photo gear he doesn't use that I could use.

A quick visit to his office this morning, researched the price on KEH, met at lunch, and I now have a Nikon 18-70mm lens.

Any day above ground is a good day. But any day you get new gear is a great day!
  • 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM
    Old Timer
    Re: When I Woke Up This Morning...
    Good deal. I think the 18-70mm gets a bad rap. I have gotten what I think are some very good results with it. Great little walking around lens when you want to go light. I think your going to like having it in the stable. Enjoy!!!
  • 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
    mtbbrian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    Any day above ground is a good day. But any day you get new gear is a great day!

Well said my friend!
    Brian

:thumbsup:
  • 03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
    another view
    Very nice! With that thread title, I thought you were writing a blues song... :)
  • 03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
    Speed
    Good deal.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Good deal. I think the 18-70mm gets a bad rap. I have gotten what I think are some very good results with it. Great little walking around lens when you want to go light. I think your going to like having it in the stable. Enjoy!!!

Thanks Old Timer. I know several folks on PR have stated that they like this lens, and that it is a very capable lens.

The pro I bought the lens from has a 17-35mm f2.8, and I would imagine there is a difference between a $1500 lens and a $350 lens. He kept the 18-70mm as a backup, just in case.

I really want the Tamron 17-50mm f 2.8, but not having $450, I'll keep on wanting it. But since my 28-70mm f 2.8 is now effectively a 42-105mm on my D200, I really wanted something wider. This will fill the bill until I can get that f 2.8 I want. I'm going to Cape Lookout this Saturday, so the new lens should get a good workout this weekend.
  • 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM
    Speed
    Well said my friend!
    Thank you, thank you.

:-D
  • 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
    Speed
    I thought you were writing a blues song...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    Very nice! With that thread title, I thought you were writing a blues song... :)

As if! I'm nowhere near that artistically inclined!

Hehehe.

But I like where your head's at!

• 03-29-2007, 07:37 AM
    Speed
    This One Is For Steve (Another View)
    When I woke up this morning,
    I was feeling kinda blue,
    But now I’m so happy,
    And it’s because of you.

When I woke up this morning,
    I didn’t have a clue,
    That I’d have a new lens,
    Before the day was through.

Thanks to my baby…
    For seeing me through…
    You know I love you baby…
    For all that you do!

I told you I didn't have any artistic talent!
  • 03-29-2007, 09:53 AM
    Frog
    Maybe you could sell that song to Sanjiah.
    Congrats on the lens!
  • 03-29-2007, 09:59 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

I had no idea that I would have a new lens this afternoon.

A pro photographer we know bought a D200 early last year. He couldn't find the body only, so he bought one with the 18-70mm kit lens. He tried the lens and decided he didn't particuarly like it. Now he's going through a divorce, and could use some "positive cash flow". On the way to work this morning, Dawn asks if I know if he has any photo gear he doesn't use that I could use.

A quick visit to his office this morning, researched the price on KEH, met at lunch, and I now have a Nikon 18-70mm lens.

I really like the 18-70 DX lens, My only problem is it's NOT fast, at least for low light. That is why I have a 50mm F1.4.
  • 03-29-2007, 10:07 AM
    photophorous
    Hi Speed,

Congrats on the new lens. I have that lens, and I think it is very good, considering the price. The f3.5-4.5 max aperture is my only complaint.

Enjoy!

Paul
  • 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
    Speed
    Maybe you could sell that song to Sanjiah.
    I don't watch American Idol, but I've heard about the current round on the radio and at work. Apparently this kid has no talent, but keeps getting enough votes to stay on. I doubt my feeble attempt at lyrics would make a difference.

"Congrats on the lens!"

Thank you for the comments. It is always great to get new gear.
  • 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
    Speed
    That is why I have a 50mm F1.4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freygr
    I really like the 18-70 DX lens, My only problem is it's NOT fast, at least for low light. That is why I have a 50mm F1.4.

I hear you! I LOVE my 50mm f 1.4!

I also love fast lenses. And while the 18-70mm isn't a fast lens, it goes give me a wide angle with my D200. It will have to suffice until I can afford that 17-50mm f 2.8 I want.

;-)

So far I have been impressed with the lens. I intend to give it a workout this weekend, and get a feel for what it can do.

Thanks for the comments!
  • 03-29-2007, 11:50 AM
    Speed
    The f3.5-4.5 max aperture is my only complaint
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photophorous
    Hi Speed,

Congrats on the new lens. I have that lens, and I think it is very good, considering the price. The f3.5-4.5 max aperture is my only complaint.

Enjoy!

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I agree with you 100%. In my limited use of it so far, I like it. While I like my fast lenses, at least it's a 3.4 to 4.5 - instead of the dreaded 4.0 to 5.6. Hey, I'll take every photon of light I can get!

• 03-29-2007, 11:52 AM
    another view
    Re: Maybe you could sell that song to Sanjiah.
    Quote:

I don't watch American Idol

I don't watch American Idle :) either... But you're a poet and didn't even knowit (knowet...).
  • 03-29-2007, 12:24 PM
    Axle
    that is an awesome lens, i have one myself it is my second favourite lens (next to my 50 f/1.8) and the one that spends the most time on my camera, great for my Urban Exploration trips.

Congrats!
  • 03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
    Speed
    that is an awesome lens
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle
    that is an awesome lens, i have one myself it is my second favourite lens (next to my 50 f/1.8) and the one that spends the most time on my camera, great for my Urban Exploration trips.

Congrats!

Thank you Axle! Glad to know that you enjoy your lens. I'm looking forward to using this one a lot more.

There IS something about a 50mm...

• 03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
    Speed
    I don't watch American [I]Idle[/I]
    "But you're a poet and didn't even knowit (knowet...)."

No I'm not. And I don't play one on TV either!

If you've ever seen Adventures In Babysitting, then imagine the tune from the Blues Bar with the above lyrics...
  • 03-29-2007, 11:21 PM
    walterick
    Hey Speedy, congrats on the new delivery! You're chasing Larry down as He Who Owns Most Nikon Stuff. Any new Nikon is a good Nikon, I say! :D The real test is, how well does it render your wife?!
  • 03-30-2007, 05:21 AM
    Speed
    The real test is, how well does it render your wife?!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey Speedy, congrats on the new delivery! You're chasing Larry down as He Who Owns Most Nikon Stuff. Any new Nikon is a good Nikon, I say! :D The real test is, how well does it render your wife?!

EXCELLENT point my friend! I will have to put it to the test.

Thanks for the congrats, I appreciate it. It is always great to get new Nikon stuff.

I don't see myself even in the same catagory as Larry! He's got too many years head start on me. And I'm not about to try to play catch up. I'm just happy to have a new lens that fills a need.
  • 03-30-2007, 05:47 AM
    Old Timer
    Re: The real test is, how well does it render your wife?!
    Just for the record my stable grew by one this week with the arrival of the D200. Can't wait to put it through it's paces.
  • 03-30-2007, 06:50 AM
    Speed
    Just for the record
    Quote:

Just for the record my stable grew by one this week with the arrival of the D200. Can't wait to put it through it's paces.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

You are going to LOVE this camera!

That brings you to 14 Nikon cameras?

See Rick, there is no catching Larry!
  • 03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
    walterick
    Re: Just for the record
    Yeah, looks like he has it planned out to stay one step ahead of ya ;)
  • 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
    MJS
    You might be catching up to the Deckcadet.
  • 03-30-2007, 12:18 PM
    Speed
    Yeah, looks like he has it planned out to stay one step ahead of ya
    He can have it!

I'm not into keeping up with the Jones. I'd go bankrupt trying to catch up to Larry.

But he is my hero!

A true Nikon Samurai!!!
  • 03-30-2007, 12:21 PM
    Speed
    You might be catching up to the Deckcadet.
    Don't have a clue. What I do know is that Deckcadet has some top of the line cameras and lenses. And the know-how to use them!
  • 03-31-2007, 05:19 AM
    deckcadet
    Congrats Speed! I love the 18-70 lens and I don't think it gets too bad a rap. Every time I recommend someone starting out a Nikon DSLR, I tell them 18-70 DX. I started out with it myself and had nothing but great results. I found it surprisingly sharp at all apertures, and although somewhat slow, it still has 2/3 stop on the lower grade consumer lenses. I see pros using them all the time, actually, and I used it for my first paid assignment- I never regretted it- the range and quality of the lens were perfect... plus the size. I would have gotten tired then if I'd had the 17-55.

It would be interesting to see who has the most gear though, I think i'm racing forward at breakneck...er... speed.

I do have to say, though, that Nikon must really love us. We're like crack addicts!
  • 04-02-2007, 05:46 AM
    Speed
    Nikon must really love us.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Congrats Speed! I love the 18-70 lens and I don't think it gets too bad a rap. Every time I recommend someone starting out a Nikon DSLR, I tell them 18-70 DX. I started out with it myself and had nothing but great results. I found it surprisingly sharp at all apertures, and although somewhat slow, it still has 2/3 stop on the lower grade consumer lenses. I see pros using them all the time, actually, and I used it for my first paid assignment- I never regretted it- the range and quality of the lens were perfect... plus the size. I would have gotten tired then if I'd had the 17-55.

It would be interesting to see who has the most gear though, I think i'm racing forward at breakneck...er... speed.

I do have to say, though, that Nikon must really love us. We're like crack addicts!

I'm sure they do. And they love some of us more than others. Like Old Timer. That man has accumulated quite a collection of Nikon gear over the years. I don't even come close. I have four Nikon cameras, three Nikon lenses, and three Nikon compatible Sigma lenses.

"It would be interesting to see who has the most gear though, I think i'm racing forward at breakneck...er... speed."

Have at it buddy! While I'd love to have more Nikon gear (D2X, 400mm f2.8, etc) what I have certainly fulfills my needs. I keep adding gear as my budget allows.

I certainly can't fault the quality of the Nikon 18-70mm. And like you, I do appreciate that it's a f 3.5 - 4.5 instead of an f 4.0 - 5.6! That does make a difference.

I gave the lens a good workout this weekend. I took it to Cape Lookout where I took about 100 shots, mostly with the 18-70, then I took some shots of my wife and mother before they went to a "High Tea" at our church. Last by not least, I used the 18-70 for a bunch of shots of the kids at our church's youth group last night. All told, I have 294 images on the CF card, most shot with the 18-70. I'll be spending most of this week processing them, but I'll be sure to post a few when I'm done.

So far I am really impressed with this lens. It is bright, clear, and there's practically no distortion at the wide end (pincushioning, etc). The only thing I can possibly find fault with is that the autofocus is a little slow - especially compared to my f 2.8 lenses. But I don't plan on shooting sports with this lens, so it's a non-issue for me.

Thanks for the comments and the mini-review of the 18-70. And good luck on your never ending quest for more Nikon gear!

"With Nikon, enough is never enough!"

Paraphrased from Over The Hedge.
  • 04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
    Old Timer
    Re: Nikon must really love us.
    I never started out to have this many Nikon I just sort of happened. I am going to sell a Nikon for the first time however. With the D200 now the camera of choice the D70 will find a new home shortly. It's going to a fellow PRer. I know it will have a good home and get used the way it should. That will leave me with the D200 and The D2h which should give me all the fire power I need on the digital side. As for the stable of Nikon film cameras most are in moth balls and I consider myself a collector. I could never bring myself to sell or trade a Nikon I aways became to attached to them. Each was unique and had it's own function. With film I always carried two camera (different ISO films or b&w and color.). Just didn't go out to shot with just one. So when Joy and I were both shooting that meant at least four cameras were in use at once. I will have to say that none of the Nikons have ever been as close to my heart as the first one. The F bought in 1971 is still in good working order and is one that is now in moth balls but is kept ready for action.
  • 04-02-2007, 01:29 PM
    Speed
    I never started out to have this many Nikons
    "It just sort of happened."

I understand my friend. While I don't anticipate ever acquiring quite the extensive collection you have, I do look forward to adding to my Nikon arsenal.

I also know it must be hard to part with a Nikon. I can't imagine selling my N80 or F5. The N80 was my first Nikon, and my first SLR. The F5 is such a phenominal piece of equipment, I can't imagine not having it sitting in the safe, ready to go. Both of those cameras sat in my safe for about eight months before I finally took the batteries out of them.

The D200 is an awesome piece of equipment, and the only reason I would want a D2X (and I do) is for the quicker autofocus. From what I've read, it rivals the F5, and that is reason enough to own one!

Hope your D70 continues to see lots of use, and I'm waiting to see some of your D200 shots.
  • 04-02-2007, 01:42 PM
    Axle
    yes...I was eying the Nikon 12-24 lens...then I saw the price...2500.00. urk.
  • 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM
    Speed
    I was eying the Nikon 12-24 lens
    "...then I saw the price...2500.00. urk."

Exactly!

I'm sure the Nikon 17-55mm f 2.8 is a great lens. But at $1200, I don't see one in my camera bag. But, the Tamron 17-50mm f 2.8 at $450...could be.

While some look down on kit lenses, I have high regard for the Nikon 18-70mm lens. The autofocus could be faster, and I love my fast lenses, but for the money, this is a great lens. It is bright and clear, the images are sharp, bright and well saturated, and it gets me back to the 35mm equivalent of 28mm, so I'm good to go on landscapes, interior shots, etc. No complaints from me about this one.
  • 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM
    deckcadet
    I've heard lotsa great things about the Tamron 17-50mm, and it is SMALL compared to the 17-55 DX. Tokina has a 16-50 2.8 due out soon, sigma already has their 18-50 EX 2.8.

I love my 17-55 though.

Remember, buying (lightly) used can be your friend! I've bought every Nikon brand lens I own currently used. In fact, I've bought precisely *one* brand new- the 18-70 with the D70 kit.

All told, I saved myself many thousands of dollars. On my 400/2.8, I saved a good $3,000 from buying new, $2000 or so off market value. On my 200/2.0, I saved a solid $1000. My 17-55 i got for almost $300 below the retail price, barely used.

That is probably the secret behind my gear collection- buy lightly used and wait for the right deal to come by, then snap it up before you think too hard.
  • 04-03-2007, 05:45 AM
    Speed
    Remember, buying (lightly) used can be your friend!
    "That is probably the secret behind my gear collection- buy lightly used and wait for the right deal to come by, then snap it up before you think too hard."

I heard that! Of the eight Nikon mount lenses I've owned, three were bought new. The other five were used. All of my Pentax mount lenses (five) were used, as was my K1000, and a couple of my flashes. I am not opposed to buying used equipment.

I knew the 18-70mm was used very little. The guy I bought it from got it with his D200 (he couldn't find the body only when he bought it). He tried it a couple of times in his studio and decided he preferred his Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 and Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 to cover those focal lengths. Which worked out well for me!

I am jealous of your collection! I'd love to have a 400mm f2.8! And a D2X to mount it on. And the 200mm f2.0 sounds like just the ticket for concerts, dance recitals, etc. Hey, I can dream...

• 04-03-2007, 05:56 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deckcadet
    That is probably the secret behind my gear collection- buy lightly used and wait for the right deal to come by, then snap it up before you think too hard.

Sounds like you have made some very good buys. My 105mm f2.8 Micro and the 28-70 f2.8 were both bought the same way. I sure don't regret either of those decisions. Since my 18-70 is going in the package deal with the D70 I'm in the market for a wider lens as well. The Tamron sound interesting but I would like to stay all Nikkor if I can. I know KEH is a good source for lightly used. Do you have any other suggestions?
  • 04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
    Speed
    I know KEH is a good source for lightly used.
    "Do you have any other suggestions?"

While KEH seems to be THE source for quality used gear, I know B&H and Adorama also carry used gear. They don't seem to carry as much as KEH, but check the lens you are looking for, and on the B&H site, it will have "Buy It Used" and the used price listed under the price of the new lens.
  • 04-03-2007, 02:28 PM
    Kokopeli
    I cannot begin to tell you how relieved this picture wasn't of early morning wood.. I was very concerned about that and almost didn't open this thread. ;)

That lens reminds me of my 17-55 f2.8G, but a bit smaller. I've seen some nice images made with the 18-70 and I'm sure you will produce keepers with yours as well.

~B

PS. Your Nikon Samurai "badge" isn't showing up on my screen.. Is it just me, or is the link dead?
  • 04-04-2007, 05:15 AM
    Speed
    I was very concerned about that...
    "...and almost didn't open this thread. ;)"

Now Brian, you know I would never post a photo like that! At least not on this site! ;-)

Besides, I do post WARNINGS on my photo's that I think others might find shocking, revealing, not suitable for all audiences.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=17928

"That lens reminds me of my 17-55 f2.8G, but a bit smaller. I've seen some nice images made with the 18-70 and I'm sure you will produce keepers with yours as well."

That's what I've heard - it's a smaller, lighter lens. While I'd love to have the Nikon 17-55mm, the price is kind of steep for me. Maybe one day... In the meantime, I like the 18-70mm and I'm looking forward to using it in the mountains later this year.

"PS. Your Nikon Samurai "badge" isn't showing up on my screen.. Is it just me, or is the link dead?"

Yes, the link I was using no longer exists. I haven't taken the time to fix it yet. I need to do that one day soon.
  • 04-04-2007, 05:53 AM
    another view
    Quote:

The Tamron sound interesting but I would like to stay all Nikkor if I can. I know KEH is a good source for lightly used. Do you have any other suggestions?

I used a friend's Nikkor 12-24 and it's a great lens but more than I wanted to spend. I've been very happy with the Sigma 10-20 which is just crazy wide and about half the cost. I looked for a used one when I bought mine last year, but the few that were out there were almost the same price as new. Midwest Photo Exchange has a lot of used gear too, but I have no experience dealing with them.
  • 04-04-2007, 06:00 AM
    Old Timer
    Thanks for the advice on used equipment sites. I had my heart set on a nice long lens this summer but if I sell the 18-70mm my priority will change to getting a better wide. Thanks for the helpful hints. That Sigma 10-20 sound very interesting.