ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You might be catching up to the Deckcadet.

Don't have a clue. What I do know is that Deckcadet has some top of the line cameras and lenses. And the know-how to use them!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: When I Woke Up This Morning...

Congrats Speed! I love the 18-70 lens and I don't think it gets too bad a rap. Every time I recommend someone starting out a Nikon DSLR, I tell them 18-70 DX. I started out with it myself and had nothing but great results. I found it surprisingly sharp at all apertures, and although somewhat slow, it still has 2/3 stop on the lower grade consumer lenses. I see pros using them all the time, actually, and I used it for my first paid assignment- I never regretted it- the range and quality of the lens were perfect... plus the size. I would have gotten tired then if I'd had the 17-55.

It would be interesting to see who has the most gear though, I think i'm racing forward at breakneck...er... speed.

I do have to say, though, that Nikon must really love us. We're like crack addicts!
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Nikon must really love us.

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Congrats Speed! I love the 18-70 lens and I don't think it gets too bad a rap. Every time I recommend someone starting out a Nikon DSLR, I tell them 18-70 DX. I started out with it myself and had nothing but great results. I found it surprisingly sharp at all apertures, and although somewhat slow, it still has 2/3 stop on the lower grade consumer lenses. I see pros using them all the time, actually, and I used it for my first paid assignment- I never regretted it- the range and quality of the lens were perfect... plus the size. I would have gotten tired then if I'd had the 17-55.

It would be interesting to see who has the most gear though, I think i'm racing forward at breakneck...er... speed.

I do have to say, though, that Nikon must really love us. We're like crack addicts!

I'm sure they do. And they love some of us more than others. Like Old Timer. That man has accumulated quite a collection of Nikon gear over the years. I don't even come close. I have four Nikon cameras, three Nikon lenses, and three Nikon compatible Sigma lenses.

"It would be interesting to see who has the most gear though, I think i'm racing forward at breakneck...er... speed."

Have at it buddy! While I'd love to have more Nikon gear (D2X, 400mm f2.8, etc) what I have certainly fulfills my needs. I keep adding gear as my budget allows.

I certainly can't fault the quality of the Nikon 18-70mm. And like you, I do appreciate that it's a f 3.5 - 4.5 instead of an f 4.0 - 5.6! That does make a difference.

I gave the lens a good workout this weekend. I took it to Cape Lookout where I took about 100 shots, mostly with the 18-70, then I took some shots of my wife and mother before they went to a "High Tea" at our church. Last by not least, I used the 18-70 for a bunch of shots of the kids at our church's youth group last night. All told, I have 294 images on the CF card, most shot with the 18-70. I'll be spending most of this week processing them, but I'll be sure to post a few when I'm done.

So far I am really impressed with this lens. It is bright, clear, and there's practically no distortion at the wide end (pincushioning, etc). The only thing I can possibly find fault with is that the autofocus is a little slow - especially compared to my f 2.8 lenses. But I don't plan on shooting sports with this lens, so it's a non-issue for me.

Thanks for the comments and the mini-review of the 18-70. And good luck on your never ending quest for more Nikon gear!

"With Nikon, enough is never enough!"

Paraphrased from Over The Hedge.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Nikon must really love us.

I never started out to have this many Nikon I just sort of happened. I am going to sell a Nikon for the first time however. With the D200 now the camera of choice the D70 will find a new home shortly. It's going to a fellow PRer. I know it will have a good home and get used the way it should. That will leave me with the D200 and The D2h which should give me all the fire power I need on the digital side. As for the stable of Nikon film cameras most are in moth balls and I consider myself a collector. I could never bring myself to sell or trade a Nikon I aways became to attached to them. Each was unique and had it's own function. With film I always carried two camera (different ISO films or b&w and color.). Just didn't go out to shot with just one. So when Joy and I were both shooting that meant at least four cameras were in use at once. I will have to say that none of the Nikons have ever been as close to my heart as the first one. The F bought in 1971 is still in good working order and is one that is now in moth balls but is kept ready for action.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I never started out to have this many Nikons

"It just sort of happened."

I understand my friend. While I don't anticipate ever acquiring quite the extensive collection you have, I do look forward to adding to my Nikon arsenal.

I also know it must be hard to part with a Nikon. I can't imagine selling my N80 or F5. The N80 was my first Nikon, and my first SLR. The F5 is such a phenominal piece of equipment, I can't imagine not having it sitting in the safe, ready to go. Both of those cameras sat in my safe for about eight months before I finally took the batteries out of them.

The D200 is an awesome piece of equipment, and the only reason I would want a D2X (and I do) is for the quicker autofocus. From what I've read, it rivals the F5, and that is reason enough to own one!

Hope your D70 continues to see lots of use, and I'm waiting to see some of your D200 shots.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

yes...I was eying the Nikon 12-24 lens...then I saw the price...2500.00. urk.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I was eying the Nikon 12-24 lens

"...then I saw the price...2500.00. urk."

Exactly!

I'm sure the Nikon 17-55mm f 2.8 is a great lens. But at $1200, I don't see one in my camera bag. But, the Tamron 17-50mm f 2.8 at $450...could be.

While some look down on kit lenses, I have high regard for the Nikon 18-70mm lens. The autofocus could be faster, and I love my fast lenses, but for the money, this is a great lens. It is bright and clear, the images are sharp, bright and well saturated, and it gets me back to the 35mm equivalent of 28mm, so I'm good to go on landscapes, interior shots, etc. No complaints from me about this one.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I've heard lotsa great things about the Tamron 17-50mm, and it is SMALL compared to the 17-55 DX. Tokina has a 16-50 2.8 due out soon, sigma already has their 18-50 EX 2.8.

I love my 17-55 though.

Remember, buying (lightly) used can be your friend! I've bought every Nikon brand lens I own currently used. In fact, I've bought precisely *one* brand new- the 18-70 with the D70 kit.

All told, I saved myself many thousands of dollars. On my 400/2.8, I saved a good $3,000 from buying new, $2000 or so off market value. On my 200/2.0, I saved a solid $1000. My 17-55 i got for almost $300 below the retail price, barely used.

That is probably the secret behind my gear collection- buy lightly used and wait for the right deal to come by, then snap it up before you think too hard.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Remember, buying (lightly) used can be your friend!

"That is probably the secret behind my gear collection- buy lightly used and wait for the right deal to come by, then snap it up before you think too hard."

I heard that! Of the eight Nikon mount lenses I've owned, three were bought new. The other five were used. All of my Pentax mount lenses (five) were used, as was my K1000, and a couple of my flashes. I am not opposed to buying used equipment.

I knew the 18-70mm was used very little. The guy I bought it from got it with his D200 (he couldn't find the body only when he bought it). He tried it a couple of times in his studio and decided he preferred his Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 and Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 to cover those focal lengths. Which worked out well for me!

I am jealous of your collection! I'd love to have a 400mm f2.8! And a D2X to mount it on. And the 200mm f2.0 sounds like just the ticket for concerts, dance recitals, etc. Hey, I can dream...

:-D
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    That is probably the secret behind my gear collection- buy lightly used and wait for the right deal to come by, then snap it up before you think too hard.

Sounds like you have made some very good buys. My 105mm f2.8 Micro and the 28-70 f2.8 were both bought the same way. I sure don't regret either of those decisions. Since my 18-70 is going in the package deal with the D70 I'm in the market for a wider lens as well. The Tamron sound interesting but I would like to stay all Nikkor if I can. I know KEH is a good source for lightly used. Do you have any other suggestions?

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I know KEH is a good source for lightly used.

"Do you have any other suggestions?"

While KEH seems to be THE source for quality used gear, I know B&H and Adorama also carry used gear. They don't seem to carry as much as KEH, but check the lens you are looking for, and on the B&H site, it will have "Buy It Used" and the used price listed under the price of the new lens.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

I cannot begin to tell you how relieved this picture wasn't of early morning wood.. I was very concerned about that and almost didn't open this thread. ;)

That lens reminds me of my 17-55 f2.8G, but a bit smaller. I've seen some nice images made with the 18-70 and I'm sure you will produce keepers with yours as well.

~B

PS. Your Nikon Samurai "badge" isn't showing up on my screen.. Is it just me, or is the link dead?
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

I was very concerned about that...

"...and almost didn't open this thread. ;)"

Now Brian, you know I would never post a photo like that! At least not on this site! ;-)

Besides, I do post WARNINGS on my photo's that I think others might find shocking, revealing, not suitable for all audiences.

Speed - NUDE!!! (Not For The Faint Of Heart)

"That lens reminds me of my 17-55 f2.8G, but a bit smaller. I've seen some nice images made with the 18-70 and I'm sure you will produce keepers with yours as well."

That's what I've heard - it's a smaller, lighter lens. While I'd love to have the Nikon 17-55mm, the price is kind of steep for me. Maybe one day... In the meantime, I like the 18-70mm and I'm looking forward to using it in the mountains later this year.

"PS. Your Nikon Samurai "badge" isn't showing up on my screen.. Is it just me, or is the link dead?"

Yes, the link I was using no longer exists. I haven't taken the time to fix it yet. I need to do that one day soon.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    The Tamron sound interesting but I would like to stay all Nikkor if I can. I know KEH is a good source for lightly used. Do you have any other suggestions?
    I used a friend's Nikkor 12-24 and it's a great lens but more than I wanted to spend. I've been very happy with the Sigma 10-20 which is just crazy wide and about half the cost. I looked for a used one when I bought mine last year, but the few that were out there were almost the same price as new. Midwest Photo Exchange has a lot of used gear too, but I have no experience dealing with them.

Thanks for the advice on used equipment sites. I had my heart set on a nice long lens this summer but if I sell the 18-70mm my priority will change to getting a better wide. Thanks for the helpful hints. That Sigma 10-20 sound very interesting.

Nikon Samurai #13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information