ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: What do you think our business name should be?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ken & Kim Photography

2 16.67%
  • Photography by Ken & Kim

5 41.67%
  • 2fer Photography (2 fer the price of 1)

0 0%
  • K2 (for K-squared) Photography

5 41.67%
  • They all suck!

0 0%
    Pentax Forum Moderator

Help! What sounds better

Kim and I have been tossing around some ideas for a name for our Photography business. The top 4 names are:
    1. Ken and Kim Photography
    2. Photography by Ken and Kim
    3. 2fer Photographry (2 fer the price of one)
    4. K2 (for K squared) Photography
    We are the worlds worst at coming up with nicks, etc. and naming our photography business is even harder. So, I thought I'd offer it up to our friends here on PR.

What do you folks think???

Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Help! What sounds better

I like K2 (with the 2 in the exponent position) the best. I might also play with a "K & K" logo or something like that. See if you can create something visually interesting.

I'm sure you'll find the right name!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I've never seen it done with a couple before, but usually I'd vote for using your own name - as in I'm Steve Muntz Photography (well, I'm really not trying to do it as a business...). Photography by Ken and Kim is simple and to the point, or you could add your last name but that's totally your choice. My only other comment is that hopefully the two for the price of one is a joke - you should both be making money at this.

What about Double K Photography? Double the Service; Double the Quality.
    John

I'm usually for keeping it simple. Don't confuse the customer. My vote goes for Photography by Ken and Kim.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

It's hurricane season... again...

I'm with OT on this one. Either Photography by Ken & Kim, or maybe K & K Photography? Simplicity works. Good luck!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

If the name needs explanation then it should be skipped.

I voted for Ken and Kim Photography.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    My only other comment is that hopefully the two for the price of one is a joke - you should both be making money at this.
    Hi AV, Thanx for the comments. I'm replying to this first since it seems to have struck a nerve with you.

It's not a joke and yes, we will do things seperately at times, but Kim and I complement each other to such an extent that when we work together, we produce much better works. That goes not only for photography, but for everything from everyday chores to any business dealings we are involved with.

At 53, I've learned a lot about myself and have failed at literally everything I ever tried to do on my own. Why? I don't know. But since I've gotten together with Kim, I have had a lot of success and I don't want anything to jinx that.

We will naturally be "making" our own pictures and each picture will sell itself, so in a way, we will be making money seperately, but together. She has her strengths and I have mine and together, we make a whole. Also, there will be times when I am her "assistant" and vice versa. Also, she prefers doing portraits and studio type of work more, whereas I enjoy the outdoor stuff more, so she will be doing more of that type of work for her own and I will be out shooting motorcycle and car rally's with a lot of nature/landscape shots thrown in.
    Anyway, to answer your concerns, it's not a joke, but we will work together as a team, but both with our seperate strengths and interests and of course (from NYIP) our individual "Photographic Eye"! :thumbsup: As a team, we can offer different perspectives to our clients and get more opportunities for sales.

I do appreciate your concern and respect your thoughts.
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

What about your last name? ____ photography?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    It's not a joke and yes, we will do things seperately at times, but Kim and I complement each other to such an extent that when we work together, we produce much better works. That goes not only for photography, but for everything from everyday chores to any business dealings we are involved with.
    Ken, all I'm saying is that if you're doing a job by yourself getting $xx per hour (or however you base your rates), then you should be getting more if Kim is with you. How much more depends on a lot of things - whether she's assisting or shooting would be different, and I guess what your client has for a budget also needs to be considered. Having two people instead of one is worth more to your client and hopefully you're getting more money because of it.

I've assisted a friend for free at a couple of weddings just to see how he worked. But I've also been paid pretty well to assist him too on a corporate job. He didn't need my help at the weddings (really for my own education) but did need an assistant at the corporate shoot, and he took into account an assistant's pay in the price he bid to his client.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Ken, all I'm saying is that if you're doing a job by yourself getting $xx per hour (or however you base your rates), then you should be getting more if Kim is with you. How much more depends on a lot of things - whether she's assisting or shooting would be different, and I guess what your client has for a budget also needs to be considered. Having two people instead of one is worth more to your client and hopefully you're getting more money because of it.

I've assisted a friend for free at a couple of weddings just to see how he worked. But I've also been paid pretty well to assist him too on a corporate job. He didn't need my help at the weddings (really for my own education) but did need an assistant at the corporate shoot, and he took into account an assistant's pay in the price he bid to his client.
    AHA...now I understand what your were getting at. Actually, I guess if we were doing a wedding shoot or something along those lines, I can see your point!!! My mind was still on the VROC rally where I am selling the pictures seperately or as a compilation. We weren't working by the hour. I was asked to do this by Chunk for experience and to help his VROC friends get good pictures at a reasonable rate. With Chunks help and some research on my own, I've come up with a set of rates for copies of the our photos. But, I will definitely keep in mind your wise counsel. Thanx!!1
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Banner Logo

So, I've put something together based on all of your responses. I've been working on this for the last 2 days and here is a final draft for your perusal.
    What do you think???? Although this isn't the "critique" forum, I would like some feedback on what people think, good or bad, because I really respect all of your opinions!!!
    Thanx,
    Ken (and Kim)

Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Hey Ken, I'm not great with coming up with logos and graphics so I don't have much to say about your over all design other than I think it looks nice.

One thing that did stand out to me was the dif. between your company name, and your website. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's much easier to remember a website name when it's the same as the company name. In this case, when I think of Photography by Ken & Kim I would find it easier to remember www.photographybyken&kim.com VS www.sundwallphotography.com. Not a problem as long as the customer has your card, or letterhead with the address on it, but easier to remember for those who don't have that info.

Just a thought.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I agree with what Michael said, for the sake of keeping things simple. I understand your example, Ken - and with two people shooting you may have more potential for print sales based on the fact that two people can cover more than one. It all works out!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I'll have to go with K2 because well it just sounds cool.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Pentax Forum Moderator

Thanks all!!!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all of your comments and suggestions. After the poll and some of your suggestions, I think we'll go with "Sundwall Photography", although "Photography by Ken and Kim" is an awful close second. My decision was based on the logic you all offered about getting our name out there. I have a tendency to "overthink" an idea and need to be reined in all the time.
    The logo will remain very similar, but with the "Sundwall Photography" replacing the title. I will also add our names under our pics.
    I've decided to go with www.web.com as our host site. They seem to have a good monthly rate, amount of storage, paypal and other options and the gentleman I spoke with yesterday was very friendly and helpful.
    I will let you all know when the initial site goes online.
    Again...I appreciate each and everyone of you. Your help in the past year has been invaluable beyond all expectations.
    Thanx,
    Ken (and Kim)
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

I don't think the squared 2 after the K needs explaining. I voted K squared. There are two Ks, Ken and Kim. The Ken and Kim's name sounds Mom and Poppy, which is ok if you're catering to an older demographic.

I think that a majority of the people who don't know what the squared two means are the types who will go into gas stations, buy a dispsable camera and then take it to Walgreens for prints.

Call it K squared and your logo is the K, squared.

I'm not a big fan of old timey mom and pop names unles you are an old timey mom and pop outfit or you're target market is older folks.
    Jupiter,
    god of olympus

Thread Information