ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Brick or Bulk for film purchase?

I want to get some more Velvia 50 before it's gone for good. I only discovered this stuff
    within the last year, so I want to get as much experience using it as I can while it's still
    available. I have been buying it in bulk 100' rolls, and loading it myself, but I'm wondering
    if I'm saving anything by doing it this way. B&H sells the bulk roll for about $100, they
    also sell 20 rolls for the same price, give or take a few pennies. I haven't kept track of
    how many rolls I get out of the 100' roll so I don't really have much to compare. I do
    know that my new film camera will only let me shoot 36 pics before it rewinds, so if I
    spool enough film for 40 pics, I'm loosing 4 frames. If I'm not saving anything, the it
    would be much more convenient to by a brick.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Brick or Bulk for film purchase?

Let's see if we can figure this out... Each frame is 1.5" wide, X 36 = 54". Add a few inches on each end and you're probably about 62-64" total. Let's figure 60" which is 5' and that works out to 20 rolls, and maybe more like 19 depending on the leaders.

Go for the brick. ;)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Brick or Bulk for film purchase?

That was easy enough. Thanks Steve.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information