• 07-07-2004, 06:16 AM
    r3dline
    What's chances of career in photography?
    I'm just curious, how many of you out there actually do photography (or at least are in a related field) for a living? If so, how did you get to where you are today? And what other tasks are you responsible for, other than taking good pictures?

And how many of you just shoot photographs for a hobby?

I'm just curious as to the chance of actually being able to shoot for a living. Would it be possible, with todays digital slrs, to get into such a career field with one of todays entry level DSLR cameras, say a D70 or DRebel?

Also, would it be absolutely neccassary for formal training in the field, such as college, for example? I know anything is possible really, but I'm certainly curious...
  • 07-07-2004, 07:18 AM
    Outdoorsman
    As for me, I do photography for a hobby. I should confess, I had an ulterior motive for getting into it. I am slowly working my way through my tiny community college with the intent to eventually transfer to a state university to major in journalism and minor in photography. I figure that since I want to write for a living, it would be beneficial to my future boss that I be just as capable with a camera as with words. This line of thinking assumes I will be working for a smaller paper somewhere, similar to my local paper here. They have no photographer; the reporters are expected to get their own shots. I would be working locally, but since this area's population is so totally dysfunctional, I have been very intentionally denied that opportunity due to my insistence on high ethical standards and high standards of professional conduct. In other words, I try to operate like professionals would in a a normal city, but the yokels here don't like being pushed into more-than-mediocre job performance.
    Anyway, I have seen what they're giving these local reporters to shoot, and I'm pretty surprised to see that they are the Nikon D-series SLRs for amateurs/intermediate. They used to have a pro photog, but he didn't make the switch to pro Nikon digital until about a year ago. And then he quit for health reasons. I guess what I'm saying is that it's a matter of your particular situation. I've asked the same question of a few pros, and they all tell me that for press work, digital is where it's at, but for anything else, pro transparency film shot on pro equipment is still the standard. I knew this when I bought a new camera this year. I had a choice of film vs digital, and I picked film, for quality reasons.
    It depends, I think, on what your chosen photographic field will be. Hope this helps.
  • 07-07-2004, 07:26 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by r3dline
    I'm just curious, how many of you out there actually do photography (or at least are in a related field) for a living? If so, how did you get to where you are today? And what other tasks are you responsible for, other than taking good pictures?

And how many of you just shoot photographs for a hobby?

I'm just curious as to the chance of actually being able to shoot for a living. Would it be possible, with todays digital slrs, to get into such a career field with one of todays entry level DSLR cameras, say a D70 or DRebel?

Also, would it be absolutely neccassary for formal training in the field, such as college, for example? I know anything is possible really, but I'm certainly curious...

Well, I can only answer the gear part of your question with any sort of certainty, due to how different the career paths can be, due to skill, networking and local situations.

A D70, a DRebel and any sort of flexible system, can be used very successfully in a pro setting, you'll just have to work harder. I know many people shootig professionally with D100s, 10Ds with D70s, and Rebels. It's the guy behind the camera that counts, if you know what you are doing, you can create first-class images with any of those. The key is knowing wat you're doing...
  • 07-07-2004, 10:45 AM
    Janie
    It all depends - I create fine art photography and sell them in stores, little shops and restaurants. I also do photography for bands and local business people (you can go to real estate offices offering your services too). I have a variety of cameras depending on what i'm shooting. I have a canon rebel with a bunch of lenses as well as a Nikon Coolpix 4300 with a bunch of lenses - I love both (although my rebel has a black blip in side that I can't find!).
  • 07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
    another view
    I think I'm like a lot of people here - I have a day job but make a few bucks from photography. By few, I mean few! It's a tough way to make a living but it's not impossible.

I've been told that you should be more concerned about other photographers who are better at marketing than you are, not better shooters. You'll spend more time marketing yourself and running your business than shooting. Going to school probably isn't necessary, but workshops and seminars can be very helpful. People skills, professionalism and a good portfolio are also needed.

The equipment is a long ways down the list of what's important. Sure, if you're hoping to shoot for Sports Illustrated you might have a hard time with those but you should still be able to get some decent shots. Shoot with the equipment you have, when you need to replace or add a piece of equipment you'll know why you need it.
  • 07-07-2004, 11:13 AM
    Janie
    BTW - the real estate market here has been crazy so I go and take digital photos of houses and put the images on CD for clients and even upload them to their various websites, then charge them with paypal. I charge $40 p/hour. That makes for good money!

Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I think I'm like a lot of people here - I have a day job but make a few bucks from photography. By few, I mean few! It's a tough way to make a living but it's not impossible.

I've been told that you should be more concerned about other photographers who are better at marketing than you are, not better shooters. You'll spend more time marketing yourself and running your business than shooting. Going to school probably isn't necessary, but workshops and seminars can be very helpful. People skills, professionalism and a good portfolio are also needed.

The equipment is a long ways down the list of what's important. Sure, if you're hoping to shoot for Sports Illustrated you might have a hard time with those but you should still be able to get some decent shots. Shoot with the equipment you have, when you need to replace or add a piece of equipment you'll know why you need it.

• 07-07-2004, 11:55 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Janie
    BTW - the real estate market here has been crazy so I go and take digital photos of houses and put the images on CD for clients and even upload them to their various websites, then charge them with paypal. I charge $40 p/hour. That makes for good money!

Janie, that's a great idea - you're creating your own market with people you already know. Maybe they don't have the knowledge or just don't want to bother with it, and you're offering to do it for a very reasonable amount of money. Heck, I'll bet you could get away with charging more, your work is worth it. Being creative not just with your photography but in looking for ways to get jobs is how you'll pay the bills. I need to follow my own advice...:rolleyes: !
  • 07-07-2004, 08:28 PM
    Cowgirl
    Just like any other field - if you set your mind to it then you can do it! You can succeed in photography! It is tough, your upfront costs are very high. Once you start improving, you'll always want better equipment - faster sharper lenses, faster bodies. Be prepared to spend a lot of money. I certainly do... :D

I agree with the others...not only do you have to take great photos, you MUST be able to market yourself!

Many full time Pro's are self taught. Taking workshops, or studying/working with a full time Pro is a great way for hands on experience. I strongely recommend working for a Pro in your area - instead of, or in addition to your college courses.

Good Luck!

Kathy