ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Dedicated Film Forum??

With all of the interest in digital photography, we've created a lot of digital specific forums. Also, it seems that many of the threads in the general photography (help files, viewfinder, etc.) discussions are digital oriented. I'm wondering if users would support the creation of a film photography forum.

Any thoughts on this?

--Jeff

Talking Digital Schmigital

35 rules!! Count me in
    <font color=blue>A picture says a thousand words, but a thousand words take up a lot less space on your harddrive.</font>

This has been covered many times over, and the group has always decided against it. Can you list some specific reasons for creating a new forum? The reasoning for the digital forums was that there are so many areas that digital photography encompasses that seperate forums would help concentrate the focus and keep each forum relatively clean of distractions.

The feeling was that film photography is so specific, that it can easily be covered by the existing forums. We do get occasional film posts in the forums, but they are shrinking in number and I personaly don't see the need to add another forum, one that will be used less and less, when the current setup is way more than adequate.

Interested in hearing other thoughts on this.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I second what Sebastian said. In terms of shooting photos, I don't differentiate between film and digital. Where digital deviates, for me, is in the post processing. Talk about printers, monitor calibration, workflow, etc.

I actually think we have way too many forums as is. There isn't alot of activity in any one forum.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love the forums, but I hate the number. I hate hate hate hate HATE forums that are divided out into more than 3 or 4 different areas.

Then again, I'd never check into a film forum anyways, so it doesn't matter to me.

I never never never check anything but the Viewfinder forum, the critique forum, and the digital imaging forum.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I love the forums, but I hate the number. I hate hate hate hate HATE forums that are divided out into more than 3 or 4 different areas.

Then again, I'd never check into a film forum anyways, so it doesn't matter to me.

I never never never check anything but the Viewfinder forum, the critique forum, and the digital imaging forum.
    Sean,

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? ;)

The beauftiful thing about having sperate forums is that even if they don't get much activity, if I need to find lighting help, I can go tot he lighting forum without needing to search through all the posts in the other forums. Same with imaging, video, etc. The same would be true for a film forum, so i can see that reasoning. I still wonder if there's enough LONG TERM interest and value in it though.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Seb,

First, as a clarification, I'm talking about a forum dedicated to 35mm film photography, not just film. I really don't want to open up a hornets nest with this. What I've noticed in the forums is that so much emphasis is being placed on digital photography (probably in response to user interest), that it would be nice to have a forum to cover just film photography. Since we already have four forums specifically dedicated to digital, and since digital questions represent a large proportion of the questions posted on the "Help Forum", it would be nice for those of us that have no interest in digitial SLRs to have a dedicated forum.

It's really not a big deal, I'm just interested in finding out if there are others like myself that would appreciate an option like this.

--Jeff

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Help Forum is alive and well...

As Sebastian said and a few other echoed, we have talked about a FILM FORUM before, most recently when the site switched over to the new format...

For reasons already listed, it was felt there wouldn't be enough activity to justify having a seperate forum. IOW, all film topics are nicely covered by the forums that aready exist.

General photography issues are the same regardless of the technology of the camera used. Viewfinder and Critique are already well suited for discussions about these topics and the threads benefit all shooters. Lighting and Studio issues are also universal. Film-specific problems are handled in the Help Forum.

I can relate to film shooters feeling like they're in the minority now. They are. But I think there is still a surprising amount of enthusiasm here for film images and issues, and those who post in the existing forums are respected by the group as a whole and their film topics and information easily found by others...

BTW, if perchance we were to have a film only forum, I can pretty much guarantee it WOULDN'T be confined to just 35mm film. That would be kind of silly, don't you think?...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82
    Seb,

First, as a clarification, I'm talking about a forum dedicated to 35mm film photography, not just film. I really don't want to open up a hornets nest with this. What I've noticed in the forums is that so much emphasis is being placed on digital photography (probably in response to user interest), that it would be nice to have a forum to cover just film photography. Since we already have four forums specifically dedicated to digital, and since digital questions represent a large proportion of the questions posted on the "Help Forum", it would be nice for those of us that have no interest in digitial SLRs to have a dedicated forum.

It's really not a big deal, I'm just interested in finding out if there are others like myself that would appreciate an option like this.

--Jeff
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Seb,

--Jeff
    Jeff,

I know exactly what you meant. These are questions that would be asked anyway if a new forum was to be created, and this sort of dicussion would probably happen no matter what.

It might not be a big deal, but that's no reason not to explore it. This community is based around us, and we need to explore and discuss ideas that will make it better for everyone. I like the idea of specific forums, but only if they bring value to the community. That's why I am asking for input, what good reasons do we have for conisdering something like this? I came up with one, I would think others would too. If there's enough interest and good reasons for it, PJ will go ahead with it. Whenever we feel some change will help we sort of throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. That's what you're doing, and there's nothing wrong with it at all.
    -Seb

My website

Seb,

Sounds good. Mostly, I want to avoid my question turning into a film vs. digital argument. My feeling is that if there is enough of an indication of interest, the establishment of a seperate forum may be warranted. If not, then not.

--Jeff

Specific Reasons?

Jeff-
    There are a few reasons for the digital-specific forums. One is the level of interest. The other, and more important reason, is that there are a lot of digital-specific issues, techniques, and equipment, as well as a big learning curve for digital beginners. A lot of people really need help figuring out how to handle their digital files and digital cameras.

I don't think the same can really be said of film. This is going to sound strange, but film is simpler. You buy it, put it in your camera, shoot it, and drop it off at the lab. There really aren't very many people developing and printing their own film. If there were, I'd have a darkroom forum. But I just can't see that a deidicated film forum would have much to offer besides a place for film users to call their own. And that's not a good enough reason to add a new forum. There should be as much mixing of different types of photographers as possible so that we can all learn from each other.

If you can give me a list of specific issues a film users forum would address, and there is enough interest, I will add it. But so far I haven't seen anything that really justifies it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Seb,

Sounds good. Mostly, I want to avoid my question turning into a film vs. digital argument. My feeling is that if there is enough of an indication of interest, the establishment of a seperate forum may be warranted. If not, then not.

--Jeff
    I'm mostly digital, but still shoot film. There are some times I just prefer it, but I don't want to try to turn this into any more of a digital vs film argument (again!)! Like Photo John says, a darkroom forum - for all film formats - might not be a bad idea if there was enough interest.

I personally spend some time on another website's B&W film processing forum, but then there's a lot of people there who have done their own developing for a lot of years. That's one area where many people could care less about digital capture, and seems like they stick together. We don't have more than a handful of people here who are really into B&W - Gerry Widen, Megan and Charles Hess sticking out in my mind. I've learned a ton about film just from doing a little processing by following other people's recommendations. That's certainly specific to film, but with only a few people that might use it I don't know if it deserves it's own forum.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    We don't have more than a handful of people here who are really into B&W - Gerry Widen, Megan and Charles Hess sticking out in my mind.
    There's black and white and then there's black and white. Most of the real issues are darkroom issues. I wonder how many people we have on the site who are still processing their own film, and/or doing their own printing. Taking black and white pictures and actually doing your own processing are worlds apart. Like I said, if we have enough people who are interested, I'd add the forum. I think it would be great. I have a lot of darkroom experience, even though I'm more than happy not to be around chemicals anymore.
    Photo-John

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

To add to that...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    This is going to sound strange, but film is simpler. You buy it, put it in your camera, shoot it, and drop it off at the lab. There really aren't very many people developing and printing their own film
    Actually, processing film is very simple, too. The most challenging non-shooting aspect of film photography is definitely printing. So yeah, like you say, this film only forum would in reality need to be a darkroom forum...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

It's the image that counts...

It's the image that counts on all PR's forums not the equipment. I was a film photographer for 35 years before I got the first digital, but what I look for and try to achieve with my images is the same today as it was 35 years ago. Digital has made it much easier for me to share my images on the internet. I was a lurker here at PR for over a year before I got my first digital and became able to post images. Since that time I hope that I have evolved into a worthwhile contributor to the site. I suspect that there are a lot of very loyal PR lurkers out there that were just like me and checked out PR everyday and may have ask question on the help forum or contributed answers to newbies, but are not posting pictures because they like me lacked the means to do so with film. I love having the ability to be a contributor and digital has allowed me to be that, but I still own 7 film cameras and will propably never get rid of them. In a very round about way what I want to say is that film and digital photographers both have a home here and the days of arguing the merit one over the other should be over. Post your photos, ask your questions and share your ideas that is what PR is for. Have fun and learn to be a better photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    It's the image that counts on all PR's forums not the equipment...Post your photos, ask your questions and share your ideas that is what PR is for. Have fun and learn to be a better photographer.
    Very good, Old Timer. We're here to help, whether you're using film or digital.

If you have film or other "analog" questions, ask them. There are a bunch of us here who have a huge amount of knowledge about silver processes. Even though I shoot all digital now, I used to do all my own darkroom work and I was a custom printer for years. I'm happy to help with any film or darkroom-related questions. Don't be afraid to ask about anything. The answers are here.
    Photo-John

Well, Now That This Has Been Answered...

Quite ably by Seb, Steve, Photo John and others, I still want to throw my two cents in.

I shoot primarily film, and mostly Fuji film to be specific. I own a Nikon N80 and a Pentax K1000. My dream camera is still a Nikon F5. (Pardon me while I drool...)

I do shoot digital at work Currently I shoot a Nikon Coolpix 5700. It's more convenient for what I do, and it's cheaper in the long run for the county. And I have been giving some serious thought to getting a D70 one day (but keep that to yourself - I don't want word of THAT to get out).

While a lot of photog's have switched to digital, the vast majority of them started with film. Seb and Paul both started with Nikon Film camera's. Somewhere along the way, they gave in to the dark side and went to Canon Digital thingy's. The priniciples stay the same, even though the medium has changed - for some.

When I've had specific questions regarding film, I've always had them answered. I'm still trying new films. I recently shot my first roll of Provia 100F. I'm taking it to the lab Saturday. I've got some Provia 400F I'm dying to try as well. Velvia (the original) rocks, and I can hardly wait to try Velvia 100. Film is alive and well! Ask your questions, post your photo's, and share your thoughts. You will get a response.

A fellow 35mm film shooter.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    I recently shot my first roll of Provia 100F. I'm taking it to the lab Saturday. I've got some Provia 400F I'm dying to try as well. Velvia (the original) rocks, and I can hardly wait to try Velvia 100.
    You're going to be blown away by Provia 400F for star trail shots. I'm looking forward to a trip in July to the middle of nowhere so I can do some more of this, and that's the film to use. If you've used any fast slide films (like 200+) then you'll be surprised how good it actually is. Try a frame or two in bright lighting, I did with no expectations but was impressed here too. Provia 100F is a great all-purpose film too - saturated colors and good skin tones. Never cared for Velvia 100F, let me know what you think.

You're going to be blown away by Provia 400F

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    You're going to be blown away by Provia 400F for star trail shots. I'm looking forward to a trip in July to the middle of nowhere so I can do some more of this, and that's the film to use. If you've used any fast slide films (like 200+) then you'll be surprised how good it actually is. Try a frame or two in bright lighting, I did with no expectations but was impressed here too. Provia 100F is a great all-purpose film too - saturated colors and good skin tones. Never cared for Velvia 100F, let me know what you think.

I am looking forward to shooting it! I bought three rolls of Provia 100F and two rolls of Provia 400F for my recent trip to the mountains. We were planning on shooting day landscapes, night landscapes, and some star trails over the mountains. The moon was between first quarter and full, so the the lighting would have been perfect. The weather prevented that (cloudy, foggy, rainy), so I brought back most of my film.

So far I've only shot 50 and 100 speed slide film. (Velvia and Sensia, and now Provia 100F). I've read great things about Provia 400F, and I'm looking forward to shooting some on a nice dark night. I'll be sure to post any decent shots I get.

Thanks for the comments!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information