ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

:( So bummed.......

Well, I had my Santa shoot today...... after a few hundred dollars and a week of almost no sleep, I am sad to report that I had a total of 3 customers....... :cryin:

Of course the blizzard going on outside could have something to do with it.....

I made less then $60 total and I am beyond exhausted...... oh well.... I guess there is always next year......right???
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: :( So bummed.......

Man, that bites. I hope you have better luck next go.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

So sorry. That's a bummer.

I know I've had shoots like that and I'm sure to have more.

Hang in there!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Hey don't feel bad, I'm fighting a newly wed couple that I've sent to collections for a wedding that they refuse to pay for after I spend 2 months getting prepared for and shot for 16 hours straight, hired a second photographer out of the money I expected to get from them, bought equipment on a credit card I expected to pay off from the money I was to get from them, and have about 1000 shots that I edited for it. (no they don't have the photos), but at least you made something from it, and most of us that have been around longer than a day have had this same problem, keep your head up and your next one will prob be better than you expected that's business
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

yeah, I am being optimistic that next year will go well.... hopefully we will have better weather.... Plus I had to deal with 5 other 'santas' going on this same weekend... they were not as elaborate as my set up... but they also didn't hardly charge(some for free)...... so, I guess I am just going to have to do more planning for next year...
    In the meantime, I will be out getting pics of this wonderful blizzard....... make the best out of it!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

I don't understand this thread. Without saying what you did and where you were working and what your strategies were to help pull the punters in, I can't see how anyone could answer this commercial dilemma.

There is still nearly 2 weeks to go until Christmas. That gives many days of shooting still. Don't ever expect to pull the punters in on day one, that is being commercially naieve. You need to foster your business. By day 10 you will be subcontracting the shoots ... and looking forward to a Christmas break.

Warren.

I wasn't looking for answers so much as complaining....lol

I live in a little town and I do not have a studio set up yet, so being limited to utilizing a different persons business, I only had one day... but that is how everyone around here does Santa shoots. In bigger cities, they have local malls where Santa is there from Nov. until christmas eve... that doesn't happen here. It would be nice if I could afford that...... maybe when my studio gets finished but not this year.
    I got my expectations up hearing that last year one of the photo shoots had over 200 people in one day, but I found out today(that same persons santa shoot was today) that they only got 5-6 people....
    The weather is just too bad here. It is seriously cold and bitter....

Again, it wasn't so much a looking for an answer as me just whining......sorry about that! ;)
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Thread Information