ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Inspires You?

Managing this site means I spend a lot of time thinking about and pushing new camera gear. But cameras are only tools. They don't make the photos and it can be easy to let the equipment become a distraction. I was thinking tonight about passion and inspiration. I wanted to take a moment to put aside the gear obsession and put the focus on the art and the inspiration.

So what inspires you? What makes you want to take better pictures? What's behind your photo passion?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: What Inspires You?

When I see a photo of a person or people that tell a more or less universal story of the condition of man, I am inspired.
    This can happen without a person in the shot in the case of some architecture or scenics, too. I want something that tells a story. I am inspired when I see photos that do but, unfortunately, am seldom able to catch such photos myself.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Can't talk here about my favorite Creator of Inspiration...................

which inspires my passion for art -- color, texture, detail, expression and beauty - life. A camera is a paint brush of sorts, and I am awed by the creativity of the people who are the photographers here at PR.

What is especially intriguing to watch here is that whole synergy thing -- the creativity, generosity and knowledge of one inspires others to stretch their boundaries which comes back to further inspire the one to reach yet farther.....and on it goes.

I, personally, have been kindly pushed to work harder for a greater skill level on all fronts than I ever would have on my own. I like this plan.

My personal thanks to you, Photo-John. You run a great ship, Captain.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

n8

the sound of the shutter. the notion that I might have gotten an image to be proud of...kind of like hunting without all the blood. the hope that I might get a shot that my dad the pro will say "good job. that's as deep as I'm getting.

Great thread John!
    What is behind my photo passion is the same thing behind my passion for architecture and music,all forms of art. Art as I see it is our human approach for creation, a constant search to greater self. Art as I see it is the best way to express human emotion in all extents. Better than words. I can feel the hole range of human emotions thanks to art and thus I itent to express what I feel through it.
    Talking about photography....watching a single image, a single fraction of a second of a complex series of events froze in time, an image you wont be able to live again. That for me is awesome.
    So many things happen around us that is impossible to appreciate them, a picture freezes time for you to enjoy and revive that...a single frame of the movie we call life.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

It is a complex process, but I try to visualize what I want to show, do the technical stuff, and take the shot. Then after developing the film seeing if I got what I wanted, and then compare what I have with the work of others to see if I am coming close to the high bar set by some of the great photographers here on PR. I am especially impressed and inspired by some of the nature, and street photography.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

I have given this a lot of thought. It's not an easy question to answer, but for me I think it is the fact that when I press that shutter release I am capturing and instant that would not have been seen. Less than a second of time that I stretch into infinity so that it can be seen by thousands. I shoot a lot of subjects, and they all have their own muses, so to speak, but the knowledge that I have grabbed a moment from time that no one else would have seen, and saved it for many to see, that keeps me going.

There is also a rush factor when I get the image I was going for. Apart from that, I am most passionate about nature. Its beauty, and hidden sites. It was my original love in photography, and it continues to be my greatest.

Great topic John!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

trigger happy geriatric.

at this time, sinking in the depths of swine flu, nothing is inspiring me. Sorry.

Dave

Pretty girls
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I guess I'm much more the technician than the artist or merely still at a technical stage in learning to 'see'. What really makes me work hard at making a better image is when someone shows me something in my photos that could be better. I thrive on criticism. – TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

What inspires me...

Beauty in Ruin

Joy in Emotion, catching the spirit of the event

Catching a smile of a pretty girl.

Seeing others works makes me want to improve, looking at a photo and thinking, yes! I can do that, and then add my own personal flare to the idea.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Nature images is my highest motivation into photography

Following the work kindly shared by the PR members is a constant pull into improving my techniques , along with the constructive C&C to the photos I have shared

Hard question to answer for me because it has evolved and changed over the years. The one constant through the years however has been the pleasure that I get from seeing others appreciate and enjoy the images I create. I guess that is one of the reasons that many of my Christmas gifts this year are framed prints of some of my resent work.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I agree with OT. Most of my inspiration comes from other photographers works. Most of them are right here at PR. Seeing pictures from all over the world and learning how they are taken.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Pretty girls
    Good answer

But how come you don't post photos of them?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Good answer

I could have said that too, but it is so rare that I have the chance to shoot one. But I know when I see certian females, I wish I had my camera, and a release form...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Bad photos. Every time I take a bad photo it inspires me to try harder to get it right the next time. I have no shortage of inspiration.

Other photographers work also inspires me to get out and explore new places and to try new techniques.

My passion comes from being out in nature. I love to sit and wait for something spectacular to unfold in front of me. It could be a beautiful sunset, or a drop of water hitting the surface of a pond. Finding that special moment in great light is what drives me to get out and make photographs.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The result. The mountain west is my passion, living in NC has dampened my spirit almost completely. I feel the same as MJS: I am happiest when I am out before the sunrise or just before the sunset, standing in the quiet, watching nature put on a show. The subtle changes in light, nature waking up or going to sleep.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Making the common and mundane exciting.

I enjoy taking a subject that most people would otherwise ignore and showing it in a way that stimulates the mind and evokes an emotion.

My images are simple and not difficult to understand. Whether a person is 7 or 70, male or female, or live in the eastern hemisphere or western, if they all “get it” at a glance, I got it.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    The result. The mountain west is my passion, living in NC has dampened my spirit almost completely. I feel the same as MJS: I am happiest when I am out before the sunrise or just before the sunset, standing in the quiet, watching nature put on a show. The subtle changes in light, nature waking up or going to sleep.
    I think you better find a way to move back. I know I feel the same when I leave the lush, green East for the mostly parched, brown West. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Liz

Great thread - thanks John!

When I think about what has inspired me these past years, I can think of many different things.

I'm always inspired when I view those "take my breath away" works of art that others have shared (here). Viewing other photographers work inspires me to take the challenge and be more creative myself.

I'm inspired when at times, I've been happily surprised when I have looked at my own work - and find an image that "takes my breath away." I am encouraged to work harder to capture more of these images.

I'm inspired when I'm out with my camera and favorite lens to looks more closely at the mundane, everyday life of people or things - and find something worthy of shooting. It brings out my creativity.

I'm inspired when I can capture a special moment in someone's life - especially when it's a surprise, something I hadn't planned on.

I'm ALWAYS inspired when I go into NYC. I love street photography - and there are more opportunities in NYC than anywhere else I've been - you know the saying "only in NY." :thumbsup:

I'm always inspired when I share my photos with others and visa versa - here on PR - one of my favorite places to be.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Making the common and mundane exciting.
    I´m keeping that sentence. :thumbsup:

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Great thread, John. I think we all get caught up in the gear race and the technical side of the craft, more than what is necessary.

I have always been inspired by the greatness in the little things that we seem to pass up in our search for the big picture.

I would say that I am mostly inspired by visuals as opposed to story or deep commentary.

I am inspired by the play of light on objects as well as the mysteries that darkness holds for us in our imaginations.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Great thread, John. I think we all get caught up in the gear race and the technical side of the craft, more than what is necessary.

I have always been inspired by the greatness in the little things that we seem to pass up in our search for the big picture.

I would say that I am mostly inspired by visuals as opposed to story or deep commentary.

I am inspired by the play of light on objects as well as the mysteries that darkness holds for us in our imaginations.
    This is my favorite post so far.

Thanks Gary!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Good answer

It's model shoot season again - days are short, weather is bad, just right for a studio shoot. I did TWO last week but I haven't finished working on them yet. Wait till I get back from England after Christmas. The ropes and plastic sheet session was exceptional.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information