• 03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
    WeirdPICS
    What do YOU do for a living? OR What keeps the film / camera's in you're hands?
    Masonry

I have a long list of clients and cities I cover in Texas... from Waco - San Antonio.

My clients are mostly large mass scale builders, and my company probably bricks / stones about 2,000 homes a year through out all our markets.

You're turn!
  • 03-22-2007, 05:36 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Re: What do YOU do for a living? OR What keeps the film / camera's in you're hands?
    An interesting subject, and one that pops up pretty often. But...not off-topic. In fact, this is very much on-topic for this site.

This thread really should be moved to View Finder... :idea:
  • 03-22-2007, 05:41 AM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Re: What do YOU do for a living? OR What keeps the film / camera's in you're hands?
    there is actually a recent one in the nature and wildlife .... probably still 1st page ... why it stuck there is beyond me ...
  • 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
    adina
    I'm attempting to move it...
  • 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
    adina
    HA HA! I did it!

at this point, photography is self sustaining. So photography keeps me in film, so to speak. Keeps me in shoes and coffee as well.

Before I was to this point, dh footed the bill, with a smile, I might add...
  • 03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
    Frog
    Personally, I don't have time to work for a living. Limits my ability to buy toys but more time to use the ones I do have.
    Actually I was sort of forced to retire.
  • 03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
    Lionheart
    Dentist. 90% of my gear is expensed out as a DAC (directly allocated cost) to me, because I use most of my gear at the office for the practice's photo needs (which is a LOT-we probably have taken about 50000+ photos in the 5 years I've been here between 6 DSLR's). I just happen to be able to use it for my personal photography on weekends too-what a deal. I only own one of the DSLR's (the 1D mk II), but most of the lenses are mine, but everyone shares the my equipment during the week, and I get to take it home for personal use when I need to since they've been expensed directly to me rather than as an overhead shared expense.
  • 03-22-2007, 04:51 PM
    Ronnoco
    The answer to that is constantly subject to change and my careers have taken some weird turns due to extremely unusual circumstances. Aside from the usual photo and video and journalism activities, my main job at the moment, is learning neural psychiatry and law on the fly, so-to-speak, and I am somewhat surprised that I find both quite interesting.

Ronnoco
  • 03-22-2007, 05:05 PM
    megan
    For 35 hours a week, I work for a Big Corporation (investment bank, and that's about as specific as I should really get online) doing graphic design - pretty bar charts (and other stuff, but it's nothing cutting edge.) I'm also building a freelance photography business, but I'm not at the point yet where I can even consider leaving Day Job. I will get there, though!
  • 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM
    ken1953
    Like Frog, I was forced into retirement about 15 years ago. My kids and grandkids have been my life. I began photography about 4 years ago with a point and shoot and last year upgraded to a Pentax DSLR. Professionally, I have recently made a whopping $37.00 USD with my photography. Thank goodness for Social Security checks. :-)
    Ken
  • 03-22-2007, 07:04 PM
    yogestee
    Photographer for the last 27 years..At the moment I'm studying a course in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)..My wife Amanda work is in Development Aid and we plan to move to Indochina hopefully Laos in the next 6 months,,,Amanda to further her career, I to teach English..We could be away for 5 years..

Midlife crisis??

Jurgen
    Australia
  • 03-22-2007, 07:41 PM
    BMOORE
    Im an electrical lineman by day and a high school football/baseball coach after hours.
    In my day job we work from 120 volts to 230,000 volts. Anywhere from underground to 130ft. towers.
  • 03-23-2007, 05:41 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Speaking of which...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionheart
    Dentist. 90% of my gear is expensed out as a DAC (directly allocated cost) to me, because I use most of my gear at the office for the practice's photo needs...

Leon, my dentist asked me for advice on buying a camera for his office to take macro, or at least closeup shots of before and after patients. He doesn't want to go the DSLR route.

Anything that you know of cheaper that can do the trick? Thanks...
  • 03-23-2007, 05:59 AM
    readingr
    Re: Speaking of which...
    I'm in IT which keeps me busy; sometimes like this point in time, too busy.

It allows me to do two hobbies Sailing and Photography which seem to go well together. Travel in the boat, and then take pics. Yes life is good.

Roger
  • 03-24-2007, 09:05 AM
    Lionheart
    There are many solutions for a p/s setup. I haven't looked into them of late at the last couple of conventions I've been to, but I have seen them. They usually consist of a current, higher end p/s digital camera with a slaved ring light or custom fabricated light diffuser. Cost wise, it is a cheaper alternative to having a dedicated slr and macro set up, but it does require a fairly capable p/s that hopefully allows for manual control of the aperture. The big advantage for a p/s is that they tend to have a fairly good depth of field at all apertures compared to a dedicated macro lens. The ability to shoot in RAW mode is something to consider also when picking out a non dslr solution. It's a more inexpensive way to start (unless you let yourself get sucked into buying an all-in-one package, hardware and software-like what the Kodak vendors sell at dental conventions) but if your dentist gets to the point where photography becomes an integral part of his practice, he will probably need to think about a dslr and dedicated macro setup.
  • 03-24-2007, 09:09 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Thanks, Leon. That's a big help...
  • 03-24-2007, 09:56 AM
    benjikan
    Hello All...I am a photographer, creative directoe and pop/rock music composer;..oh yeah and Father of three lovely daughters..I am divorced!
  • 03-25-2007, 02:01 PM
    MJS
    I currently run a Media Studies department at a private high school in Miami. Video/Film/Broadcast journalism and photography all rolled into one 3 tier program. Ialso teach underwater video and photography through our SCUBA club that I advise.
  • 03-25-2007, 02:10 PM
    livin4lax09
    Photography. Both with my company and freelance work. Unfortunately being a student doesn't pay the bills.
  • 03-25-2007, 02:11 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Let's not forget...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    I currently run a Media Studies department at a private high school in Miami...

...retired competative shotgun, er...SHOOTER! :D
  • 03-25-2007, 02:12 PM
    mwfanelli
    I have had several different major careers in my life (none photographic!) but right now I teach physics, math, and physical sciences at a community college here in Cecil County, Maryland. Best job I ever had for the least amount of money I've ever made as an adult.
  • 03-25-2007, 04:53 PM
    Jaedon
    I am a Transit Operator (I drive a Bus) for the second largest transportation system in North America, in Toronto Canada. It's mind-numbingly boring but it give me the oportunity to see the entire city, both the good and the bad.

It pays the bills and gives me a vantage point on the city that most people never see.
  • 03-25-2007, 08:59 PM
    Dock Master
    I too have had a few careers along the way. I did dealership accounting for a while, was a sailor in the US Navy, and currently am back to book keeping for a thriving landscape firm. However, the book keeping does not come close to paying the bills, but it does buy some photography toys. My wonderful husband, the Submariner earns the $$ to pay the bills and buy the really good stuff. For the most part, I am a stay at home mom, part time secretary.It's all good.
  • 03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
    Greg McCary
    Electrician, I worked the first 14 years in the industrial side, building control panels and now work for the local school system. I work on fire/security, cctv, cameras and dvrs, and some networking.
  • 03-29-2007, 05:52 AM
    cyberlord
    I have worked the last 14 years, 2 months, 21 days, 7 hours, and 45 minutes, (yes I'm counting days till I can retire) for the US Air Force. I actually enjoy it a lot but I'm not getting my hands dirty working on the systems anymore, I'm more middle management and run a small office. I miss working with the communications systems. I miss being able to just leave when the work day is over and go do my own thing.

Time has flown by and I hope the last 5+ years go as fast!