ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Went ahead and took the plunge. . .

After lurking around on this forum for some time, I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a DSLR. I've been playing around with an Olympus 5060 but wanted to try something a little bit better. I went to our town's one and only camera store and decided to go with the Canon EOS 30D. I think I read about everything on this site I could find along with all the reviews on the internet I could handle reading. It was a hard choice, but finally decided on the Canon due to availability (wanted to purchase locally) and decent reviews. The shop was all out of Canon lenses (I wanted the IS but it would have taken a while to get one) and the shop talked me into getting a Sigma DC 18-125 3.5-5.6 to start with. I know the camera far exceeds my present capabilities but I'm hoping to grow into it. I've only had the camera a couple of days but got to play around during my sister's wedding only about 2 hours after buying it. Here's a pic from the wedding using a circular polarizer with the only editing being a slight crop (still have to learn photoshop too). I've got a lot to learn, but what the heck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Went ahead and took the plunge. . .-photopost1.jpg  

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: Went ahead and took the plunge. . .

Very cute shot!

Tahoe?

Congratulations on the new camera! I'm sure it will serve you well.

Is that a Tahoe wedding?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hey glad to hear you took the plunge. Now stick around here and be more than a lurker. share your images with the gang here and you will get more feed back and advice than you will probably want. Nice kick off image with the 30D.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Congrats...and the camera doesn't exceed your present capabilities. The 30D will provide a great platform to learn and take photos.

I think Sigma make fine lenses too.

Congrats on the purchase and feel free to use this board to learn on..I did!!

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Re: Tahoe?

Yep, Tahoe. I live about 20 minutes away. My sister lives in Reno. Great place for pics and weddings.

Thread Information