ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Wedding (with Pictures this time) & a Story

I attended my cousin's wedding this weekend and got drafted as the official photographer five minutes before the start. They had lined up a friend to shoot with a 35mm SLR, but someone else was tasked with bringing the film and forgot it.

This was my second wedding. I've done a couple of events, too, so I felt somewhat comfortable, but it really helped to think of some of the good shots I've seen here. The couple was great, too. Very game and playful with elegance in their posing.

I'd really love to hear what you think of these...

Last edited by Lava Lamp; 09-13-2005 at 01:36 PM.

Re: Wedding (with Pictures this time) & a Story

Well I think that they are great. When you consider the amount of prep time you had it's scarry. I hate getting thrown into situations like that, but it looks like you responded with a lot of creativity and professionalism. Very nice job. Love that backdrop of the ocean, made for some wonderful images.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Nice work - only comments I'd have are that the horizon isn't level in most of the shots. In the last shot, it doesn't matter and looks great like it is. Also, with the shot of the bride by herself a fill flash might have been good. But with 5 minutes of prep, you pulled it together and have some nice shots!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Nice work - only comments I'd have are that the horizon isn't level in most of the shots. In the last shot, it doesn't matter and looks great like it is. Also, with the shot of the bride by herself a fill flash might have been good. But with 5 minutes of prep, you pulled it together and have some nice shots!
    Thanks. Inoticed that with the horizon -- though not at the time -- but didn't like it when straighted in PS. Maybe it's more dynamic.

Liz

Cool Great job Lava Lamp!

These are very nice images. They are sharp, great color - and a pleasure to look at. These are the kind of shots that people will enjoy forever. You captured some great images. Thanks for sharing them with us. I like the framing too.

My favorites in order = No. 3 and No. 2

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Thanks. Inoticed that with the horizon -- though not at the time -- but didn't like it when straighted in PS. Maybe it's more dynamic.

Watching the horizon in a case like this is really tough. And, having your bride & groom at the right angle is definately more important anyway. Guess I'm used to too much tripod stuff... I think you're right about turning them in PS - plus you'd end up cropping a lot out.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

If these are the quality of a good number of shots...... YOU did them a GREAT SERVICE by stepping up to the plate! Me personally..... I would have ran for film myself and done backups ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    If these are the quality of a good number of shots...... YOU did them a GREAT SERVICE by stepping up to the plate! Me personally..... I would have ran for film myself and done backups ;)
    Thanks a lot, Paul. I shot over 300 pictures and cut it down to the best 75 to be printed (and to give them on CD. Maybe two thirds of them are pretty good. The rest are okay photographically, but important because of the people in them. The group photos were the most problematic. There was always at least one person with closed eyes, or looking the wrong way.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

HAHAHA... I was ONNED into doing my fathers wedding and the group had atleast 40 people in it!!!

I shot , NO KIDDING, 12 frames film and 27 frames digital to get ONE frame my stepmother liked!!!!!

I shot 2 film bodies and my 1D for a total of 4 rolls and 1.4 gigs. We printed all the film obviously, but only 40 or so files!

NOTE TO SELF.... Never get conned into another family wedding because the headache that followed wasn't worth it ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Great job, those last two are really wonderful!
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thread Information