ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

In Progress - My new website

Hello,
    I'm in the process of having somebody design my new site and I would like to get people's thoughts on the site.

Does it take long to load?
    What about the site itself? Layout?

http://home.pacbell.net/avergara/LCPhoto2/

It's still being developed, but this is a good ideal of the site.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Well...

Loren,
    It is great to see that you are revamping your site..
    I like the older version, but it looks like the other one will be a great evolution.

You might get some better responses in the Web Design Forum, you should cross post this there, if you already haven't..

It loaded quickly.
    The layout?
    It seems a bit big, that is the resolution you have it at, versus the resolution on the partcular monitor I am on caused me to scroll over a lot.

Good luck!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Wow, I love it. I don't have any comments on what I would change, it's pretty awesome. The text is pretty small and hard to read, but if it was maybe darker a little, I think it'd be pretty well done overall.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

It looks nice and loads quickly but I think your services, contact info, e-mail, and home button need to be up more - I couldn't find it on the bottom of the screen - it's teeny! Also, you need a call to action -
    Below are a few of the services I provide:

• Digital retouching
    • Film scanning
    • Editorial assignment
    • Location/studio portraits
    • Stock photography

For any questions or inquiries regarding any of the above services, please fill out the form on the contact page.

Why make them go find the contact page? Why not have your number on this page to call or e-mail? That was confusing for me.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Loren

Glad to giveyou some feedback, buddy:

Like someone else mentioned, it's a little too light on my screen. Particularly, the text. It took a little squinting for me to see it.

Like someone else also said, I had to scroll a little more than I like to - particularly when looking at pictures in landscape format.

Everything loaded quickly.

Your links to "South America" and "Asia" turned up not working - I guess that's under construction still.

Overall, very nice! I like the airey, pastel feel overall. And, is that a picture of Trevor and PJ in your "Personal" section?

Keep up the good work!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

As others have mentioned, it is too light, the text is too small. I was wondering what the little square was next to the small image bottom left.

Looks good and clean though.

One more quick important comment - where are you located? I didn't see that on the site!

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Good comments everybody

I sent the comments to my web designer so he can incorporate them before the change.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the advice.

Best regards,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Hi Loren,
    Great site, but links from "travel" do not seem to work correctly on my Macintosh. I mean, there is no way to ckick on "america", "latin america", or "asia_europe".

those links not up yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Irakly Shanidze
    Hi Loren,
    Great site, but links from "travel" do not seem to work correctly on my Macintosh. I mean, there is no way to ckick on "america", "latin america", or "asia_europe".
    Hey Irakly,

Thanks for the comments. Those are the last of the links to go up. I want to make sure the site reflects the changes that I need to make, and to incorporate the changes from those who responded from PR.com

Hopefully those links will be up and running in a week.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Thanks Janie

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    It looks nice and loads quickly but I think your services, contact info, e-mail, and home button need to be up more - I couldn't find it on the bottom of the screen - it's teeny! Also, you need a call to action -
    Below are a few of the services I provide:

• Digital retouching
    • Film scanning
    • Editorial assignment
    • Location/studio portraits
    • Stock photography

For any questions or inquiries regarding any of the above services, please fill out the form on the contact page.

Why make them go find the contact page? Why not have your number on this page to call or e-mail? That was confusing for me.
    I've sent your response to my web designer to incorporate these suggestions. I really appreciate your ideals.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Really nice Loren!

I agree with the suggestions here, but don't think they are 100% necessary. Good stuff overall.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Excellent so far...

Loren,

I can't add too much to what's already been mentioned. We all know these web site animals are CONSTANTLY being tweaked...

My one picky comment is also about your "services" page. Small matter, but you probably should list your services in their order of importance. There is bound to be a subtle perception based on how these are listed.

IOW, you list Digital retouching first. Whether you want them to or not, many viewers are going to think that's your main thing and what YOU think you do best. Now if that's true, cool, but if it were me, I would always list SHOOTING services first, starting with Editorial (btw, I would add AND ADVERTISING), then Location/studio, etc...

Oh, and since you've listed more than three services, you should really change "a few" to "some"...

BTW, I don't mind the smaller type at all. That's pretty standard now with pro flash and html sites. I have 1024x768 and have no problem reading it. Lower resolutions will show the type even larger. A personal choice to be sure, but normally lots of large type is the mark of an amateurish site...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

My point about the small type was that it was important (contact info!) and was at the bottom of the page. I look at the visual area - the visual area of a website (the part you see first) it THE most important part of a webpage - and if people have to look for your contact info, guess what, they may not contact you! Statistically speaking, people like to click, but people do not like to scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Loren,

I can't add too much to what's already been mentioned. We all know these web site animals are CONSTANTLY being tweaked...

My one picky comment is also about your "services" page. Small matter, but you probably should list your services in their order of importance. There is bound to be a subtle perception based on how these are listed.

IOW, you list Digital retouching first. Whether you want them to or not, many viewers are going to think that's your main thing and what YOU think you do best. Now if that's true, cool, but if it were me, I would always list SHOOTING services first, starting with Editorial (btw, I would add AND ADVERTISING), then Location/studio, etc...

Oh, and since you've listed more than three services, you should really change "a few" to "some"...

BTW, I don't mind the smaller type at all. That's pretty standard now with pro flash and html sites. I have 1024x768 and have no problem reading it. Lower resolutions will show the type even larger. A personal choice to be sure, but normally lots of large type is the mark of an amateurish site...

Member:

Thanks Steve and Sebastian

Hey Steve and Sebastian,

I really appreciate your comments, and encouragement. The site wasn't cheap, especially when I was unemployed, but I'm happy with the results as of now. It's nice to know that you feel good about it. I am going to switch the categories on the services page, and luckily it's text so I can always add to it later.

Hopefully the site will be done in the next week and uploaded to my server which should be faster.

Thanks again,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Thread Information