ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Best for Newbie.

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manual SLR

2 9.52%
  • Modern SLR

1 4.76%
  • DSLR

1 4.76%
  • Digital Compact

11 52.38%
  • Rangfinder

0 0%
  • Film Compact

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
  • not Sure / Depends

6 28.57%

Thread: Best For newbie

Red face Best For newbie

What would you say is the best camera for an ABSOLOUTE Newbie?

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Best For newbie

Not sure. I mean, my first camera was a 1969 Minolta Hi-Matic 7s rangefinder. We'd actually need more information. I take it you haven't used any camera seriously before....

So let me see....
    If you want to seriously learn how to compose shots, learn how all the settings work together, go with an old school manual SLR. At the start just work with a 50mm f/1.7 or faster lens.

If you just want to go out and shoot like crazy, Digital Compact.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

i started with a 5 mega pixel point and shoot. You need to work on taking shots and not worry about focus, depth of field, shutter, f-stops , film speed - just take alot of pictures of the same object and try out different settings then get some books and learn as much as you can about that camera then when you have felt you have almost mastered it see how much you really enjoy it before you speed alot of money on expensive cameras

I chose the "not sure/depends" (lack of an) answer.

I know most beginning photo classes use manual 35mm cameras and teach you technique as well as how to develop film, etc. I do think having technical knowledge is important. Being able to look at a situation, decide what you want to do, then set the camera up for it and shoot on auto is a really great way to work. If you didn't have the technical knowledge, for example, you might not think of doing a blurred motion shot. Even if you thought of it, you'd need to have a guess of what the shutter speed needs to be to get the effect you want.

OTOH, having only technical knowledge can make boring images that could be uninspiring to the photographer. Having some fun with program mode, and only thinking about the other thousand or so variables (quality and angle of light, composition...) is a good idea too for beginners.

Wink Digital=Picture.....Film=Photography....for you

If you want to take a picture buy Digital.

Take 500 photos of the same object with no worry of film/developing expenses while adjusting the settings for each shot. Make sure you dont record any settings you have done.

Wade thru the photos on your destop.

Adjust the selected images using photoshop by removing unwanted items that you didnt want in the photo in the first place. ie buildings and or people..even the sun if its in the way.

Blur out certain objects to enhance the subject matter.
    Maybe add a moose or quaile if you want it to be like an outdoors/wildlife like image.
    Add a building if its an urban theme...maybe superimpose a carjacking or something like that.

Then show your friends what a great photographer you are with that one amazing shot and dont tell them that you set the camera on auto and fired it a quadtrillion times and still not being satisfied hacked it in photoshop.

Presto you have a great picture.

If you want a to learn photography.

Buy a manual film camera with prime lenses and because of the expense of developing and not seeing the immediate results, you will think about a great many things like

focus
    depth of field
    subject matter
    lighting
    composition

your first few roll will most likely be a disaster.

out of focus
    no fill flash
    camera shake
    fast moving objects blur in the picture for some reason

and unlike a digital camera you cannot just delete the image and move to the next one of the million pictures that you took.

you will then start to learn photography.

you may be able to make this happen with a digital camera but most of us do not have the discipline...

then maybe a couple years later buy the digital camera

you can get great like new used film equipment really cheap

just an opinion

Andreas

ps
    that canon 5d with the 24mm to 105mm L series is looking damn good
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. Isaac Asimov

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Digital=Picture.....Film=Photography....for you

Newbie to newbie...Although I've been shooting pics for about 3 years, it wasn't until about 5 months ago that I actually started learning what I am doing. I use a 3.0 mp point and shoot Kodak. The positives to this are "over 20000" pictures and very little cost. Some of the negatives are a lack of knowledge of dof, white balance, f-stops, etc....IMHO, get a top of the line p/s that offers some manual contol. These provide some of both worlds. However, you can't go wrong with a Rebel or D70 if you decide to go DSLR. Finally, if you decide to go a film SLR, you have to seriously consider the cost of development and film. Although there are costs involved in digital, you're not paying for bad shots. That is my logic and only my personal opinion as there are solid arguments for both sides...
    Now that I've totally confused you...regardless of which you choose, you'll be able to learn a ton by actively participating here in the forums and you'll find a ton of support and advice from everyone here.
    Good Luck!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Put it this way

if you learn to a foreign languauge you have to learn vocabulary and grammar. There's both important for effective communication, but it's no use have perfect grammar but a very limited vocabulary. you will get further with good vocabulary and limited grammar.

With photography, you have to an eye for the picture as well as good technique. A good techinique is of liitle use unless you have the eye for the picture, so that's what you have to work on first, you can develop the technique later. I think a digital compact is good because it gives you the instant feedback. If you find you have the eye, can always get a more advanced camera that gives you more control to develop the technique.
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Re: Put it this way

OK, one more openion. I favor the Compact P & S type camera for a beginner, A nice simple camera will let you start to produce nice simple photo's right to start with. A good positive thing for a beginning photographers. You'll find that most of the digital cameras today will have some "mode" settings on them for varying conditions that will allow some experimentation and learning by doing. The best advantage is the zero cost of making the pictures.

Some famous instructors once told me the least expensive thing you use is film -- and now with digital, that expense has virtually vanished. What they were saying is shoot pictures! Look and see what works and dosn't work, what you like and do not like. Learn to "see" the photograph, learn composition and lighting ----- then see how much improvement you can make with a more sophisticated camera.
    Aaron

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Digital=Picture.....Film=Photography....for you

Digital is the way to go, a good P&S is the way to start.

There are no advantages to film. One poster gives a silly scenario for digital to conclude that film is superior for learning. Not true.

For a newbie who wants to learn, the ability to try many different methods with the digital camera for free is remarkable. You get instant results. Change the f/stop, the shutter speed, the focus point, the focal length, etc. and IMMEDIATELY see the results. This guides you through the try and retry so necessary for learning.

With digital, you don't have to wait to see what you have. With print film, was it you or the printer tech that produced the final result? There are no extensive notes to take, its all recorded in the EXIF data for easy later retirevals. You don't have to mortgage the house to pay for expensive film and developing. You have the images right there to look at, no expensive scanning and further storage required.

Even with film cameras, some people would just take lots and lots of snapshots with no concern for what they were doing. They were limited only by the money they had to spend. With a newbie and digital, the choice can be made to shoot that same way or to actually learn about what is going on. In either case, its still photography. For most people, photographs are about the memories, not the shutter speed.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Hi folks, it's been awhile. I had to post on this one for some reason. Here is my experience. First camera was a Nikon 3200 (compact digi), it helped in composition, and "seeing" subject matter. Then I tried a film SLR, and found I wasn't ready for the cost, and didn't know the tech stuff, so I traded it for a Kodak Dx7630 (compact digi with manual controls). That camera has since broken, and now my plan is to buy a Nikon N series, or a Minolta slr film set-up. The Kodak helped alot in learning about manual settings, and now I feel comfy going to film. I would agree about starting with a compact digital, and then moving as you learn and depending on your style, and budget. The reason I have decided to goto film personally, is because the cost of DSLRs and (i am going to get beat for this) I really like the look of slide film lately. That isn't tp say it is better, but I believe it will fit my style, and personality better. Either film or digital is great, the most important thing is what works for you and what you like.

You can typically get a Nikon, or Canon (film slr) at a pawnshop for about $100-200, so if your budget allows, after some learning maybe you could try both.

Digital compact, When I say newbie to photography I don't mean somone who has never owned a camera before and wants one to go on holiday.

Then what do you mean?? If you already have camera and photo knowledge, you should know (especially after the film vs. digital post) that it is basically agreed here that a camera is a tool, the real difference is the photographer.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    What would you say is the best camera for an ABSOLOUTE Newbie?
    In our minds (at least in mine) an ABSOLUTE Newbie is someone looking to get into photography including a new/first camera.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Talking Re: Best For newbie

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    Then what do you mean?? If you already have camera and photo knowledge, you should know (especially after the film vs. digital post) that it is basically agreed here that a camera is a tool, the real difference is the photographer.

Sorry Agree with your point But I do think that maybe I didn't quite word it right at the start of the thread, my gripe isn't with digital cameras its really with Digital P&S cameras, however you may be please to hear that my first camera was a Digital P&S, From using that I thought that changing the apeture did male a lot of difference and to stay away from anything ISO 400+ then I bought a film SLR becuase it was cheap and I couldn't afford a DSLR.

I'm pleased to know you have/had a camera and did some shooting period, no matter what kind. I am going to film myself, due to the price of DSLRs, and my digi P&S broke. I think the question you want to ask is what kind for getting into serious work. If that is your question, the answer is simple, whatever works best and feels best to you. The local newspaper photog laughed at me at an event a while back, he had an F1 and I had a Kodak DX7630. In the end, his editor purchased and used one of my images, as well as one of his.

Other photos from the Kodak have been used for:

Decor (private buyer)
    2 CD covers
    2 news articles
    a succesful stock portfolio

Again, the camera is just a tool. By the way, my experience level is extremely low, only 5 months or so.

Red face Re: Best For newbie

Youve been doing photography for 5 months?

Thread Information