ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Wasatch Sunset - Courtesy Of Canon EOS-1D Mk IV

Last night I shot a nice Wasatch sunset with the new Canon EOS-1D Mark IV and 70-200 f/4L IS lens. It was a nice combo. Between the great high ISO image quality and the light, image-stabilized lens, I could shoot the whole thing without a tripod. Nice, for a lazy photographer

As you'd expect, at ISO 100, the 1D Mk IV is super smooth and beautiful. I also shot one at ISO 1600, well after the sun was down, just to see how the noise would look. I pushed that one over one stop in Lightroom and I think it still looks pretty damn good. I will upload it to the gallery at 100% so the pixel peepers can take a closer look. I'll post an ISO 100 sunset photo at 100% in the gallery, too.

If you want to see more Canon EOS-1D Mark IV sample photos, take a look at the high-res studio samples taken at all ISO settings. You can also look at all Canon EOS-1D Mark IV photos in the gallery. There aren't many yet. I'm just getting started with this camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wasatch Sunset - Courtesy Of Canon EOS-1D Mk IV-_04c0134.jpg   Wasatch Sunset - Courtesy Of Canon EOS-1D Mk IV-_04c0152.jpg   Wasatch Sunset - Courtesy Of Canon EOS-1D Mk IV-_04c0150.jpg   Wasatch Sunset - Courtesy Of Canon EOS-1D Mk IV-_04c0176.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Wasatch Sunset - Courtesy Of Canon EOS-1D Mk IV

Personally I think the contrast is a bit off...this may be attributed to the high ISO?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I would expect the contrast to decrease as the light dims after sunset, which is when the ISO will go up past 1600. So it looks about right to me.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

awesome! simply awesome views

Quote Originally Posted by nobodeuno
    Personally I think the contrast is a bit off...this may be attributed to the high ISO?
    Because it's so flat? Paul is right, the sun is well past down so the light is really soft. This is pretty accurate. I did pump it up a bit in Lightroom just for art's sake. But once the sun goes down, you're not going to see much contrast.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by nobodeuno
    That looks good to me according to light conditions and ISO setting.

IŽll take a look at the gallery version for some Pixel hunting

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Thread Information