ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Reloading

Reloading

Here's a couple of shots I took the other day while I was reloading some .223 ammo.

Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
    Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

Re: Reloading

Very nice. Love the DOF & the reflections!
    Chris

Current Gear:
    Olympus E-3
    Zuiko 14-54 mk II f2.8-3.5
    FL50R flash
    HLD-4 Battery grip
    RM-CB1 remote cable release
    Vanguard Alta+ 264AP tripod with PH-32 head
    Cullmann Ministativ DIGI-POD long (50008) tripod
    E-System Pro Backpack

Great shots, the nice close angles give them a wonderful feel. Be careful, a former state policeman here in KY was killed last week while working with black powder. After years of experience a small mistake took his life that of a friend and seriously injured his wife.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Talking Re: Reloading

Gorgeous shots. Great angles, fantastic lighting, and I love the DOF.

I see the FMJ in the first one. Did you leave the bullet seated that far out for photographic purposes, or are you seating them out to touch the lands? JHP's in the next two shots. Varmint loads or target loads? And since that's a progressive press, and I see blue on the edges, I'm guessing you load with a Dillon?

I have three rifles in .223, and have more .223 brass than anything else. I load on my original press, an RCBS single stage RC2. I have one .223 load - 25 grains of H335, CCI 550 primer, and Winchester 55 grain PSP's. My Sporter Varmint will put that load into less than 6/10 of an inch at 100 meters. So what are your favorite loads?
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Gorgeous shots. Great angles, fantastic lighting, and I love the DOF.

I see the FMJ in the first one. Did you leave the bullet seated that far out for photographic purposes, or are you seating them out to touch the lands? JHP's in the next two shots. Varmint loads or target loads? And since that's a progressive press, and I see blue on the edges, I'm guessing you load with a Dillon?

I have three rifles in .223, and have more .223 brass than anything else. I load on my original press, an RCBS single stage RC2. I have one .223 load - 25 grains of H335, CCI 550 primer, and Winchester 55 grain PSP's. My Sporter Varmint will put that load into less than 6/10 of an inch at 100 meters. So what are your favorite loads?
    That's a good eye, the first shot is some M193 FMJBT that's just a plinking round. The bullet in the foreground has not been seated yet just setting on top on the case. The HP's are some 69gr Sierra HPBT, just want to try something a bit heavier and found these on sale.

Yep, it's a Dillon 550b. I just recently started reloading rifle when I built 2 AR's so I really don't have a favorite load yet still experimenting. I just won an auction for 1000 once fired for $35 so I'll be busy for a while.
    Olympus Evolt E-510
    Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
    Olympus 40-150mm F4.0-5.6
    Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5
    Sony DSC-HX5V

My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    That's a good eye, the first shot is some M193 FMJBT that's just a plinking round. The bullet in the foreground has not been seated yet just setting on top on the case. The HP's are some 69gr Sierra HPBT, just want to try something a bit heavier and found these on sale.

Yep, it's a Dillon 550b. I just recently started reloading rifle when I built 2 AR's so I really don't have a favorite load yet still experimenting. I just won an auction for 1000 once fired for $35 so I'll be busy for a while.
    I used to use the 55 grain FMJ's for my plinking rounds too! I used IMR 4198 powder to keep costs down, as it only took about 20 grains. I eventually decided to just standardize my .223 load to keep it simple. It works well in my varmint rifle, and shoots well in the AR's too. H335 is a ball powder, so it flows quite nicely through a powder measure. I am hooked on it. There are a lot of good powders out there today though, so by all means experiment.

I am impressed that you built your AR's. That is awesome. The 69 grain Sierra ought to do quite nicely in a fast twist barrel. 1000 once fired cases for $35 is an incredible buy! That will keep you busy for a while. Keep your powder dry and keep posting such nice photo's.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information