ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Virtual 30 Mega Pixel Camera Technique

Upsizing your 10 megapixels to 30 mp sort of...
    Pro Applications..Making 10.2 megapixels in to 30.6 mega pixels, sort of...
    There are ways to improve the rendition of the K10D that will give it similar resolution to a Pro Back of 31.6 megpaixels. I will be shortly doing an Ad Campaign with the K10D where I could have opted for a Digital Back. I will shoot in RAW and introduce three layers with a microscopic shift on each of the layers. After doing so I will sharpen the layers at between 0.3 and 0.5 pixels at 240 to 300 percent. I "Free Transform" the two duplicate layers by "1" Pixel each and I do not "Flatten" the image. It works quite well. What I do is use two colour layers and one B&W layer. I still use the "Soft Light" setting. I am effectively getting the impression of a 30.6 megapixel image. The pixels are all slightly offset. It really does work quite well.

One more pointer.

You take the original for example, I don't know let's say 2400 x 3600 as the original layer. The first duplicate I would make 2399 x 3599 and the second 2401x3601 and when applying Unsharp Mask I would sharpen at 0.3 to 0.5 pixels at 240 to 300 percent to compensate for the offset. Do not Flatten the layers as that would negate the size of the file.

Thought I would share that with you. Theoretically it is not 31.6 mega pixels, but it sure looks like it.

Here is a sample using "Free Transform" to offset the image "1" pixel per layer. What you are seeing is a crop of about 66 percent from the original that can be viewed on one of my sites under the series name "Divine Inspiration".

Ben
    http://anashcreation.com/thenashgall...closeup?full=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Virtual 30 Mega Pixel Camera Technique-attachment.php.jpg  

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Re: Virtual 30 Mega Pixel Camera Technique

Other than amazing, I lack the knowledge to say anything else.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Thankyou for sharing the knowledge. Not sure I have the patience to try but you never know. I'm with MW but looks like I could figure it out eventually.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks, thats a great tip. May be a bit too much for someone like me though. Does it work with all camera's? And are our monitors capable of making a visual difference between 10.2 and 31.6? Come to that, are our eyes even capable of knowing the diff?

:thumbsup:

Thread Information