ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Has the bubble burst? Why are camera sales in No. America down 43%?

This is an interesting read: The Visual Science Lab.: Has the bubble burst? Is that why camera sales in N. America are down by 43%?

A couple propositions are made; the saturated camera market is being taken over by smartphones with cameras and, the art genre of photography is being revealed as a dead-end. While both may be happening (I believe the former more than the latter), one would think these would lead to a gradual erosion of camera sales. However, in the past year there has been a huge decline in sales, a decline unprecedented in recent history.

I certainly can see that smartphone cameras have improved to the level that the occasional picture-taker might decide not to purchase a dedicated camera. While I use my iPhone 5 to take random snaps here and there, it would be the last tool I'd reach for if I wanted to record a lasting memory, like the kids graduation, etc. I don't know what to make of the "dead-end" proposition. The "art" that I practice is primarily for my personal gratification, no different that if my hobby was target shooting, bowling, or wood-carving. Each could put a little change in my pocket, but the passion would be the driving factor.

So I am curious how other photography enthusiasts and "real photographers" (ie, primary income from photography) might explain what has happened to the market.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Re: Has the bubble burst? Why are camera sales in No. America down 43%?

I can't see anything wrong with the article, except the title. My resumé:

- the vast majority of people just like to take photos without ever having the idea of producing "art".
    - these people just want snapshots that they can share (maybe not even keep)
    - their preferred way of showing their photos is via the web (FB)
    - they are in love with their smartphone and are delighted to use it
    - the results from smartphones have improved in the last two years so you can now take a reasonably good image with some of them, if you're lucky

So the market for cameras that these people used to buy - basic point-and-shoot - disappears. These things don't even have a connection to Internet, they are no fun, no prestige, who would want to buy one nowadays?

Superzoom bridge cameras, mirrorless and DSLR's survive because they are bought by people who want more than just casual snapshots

Manufacturers move up-market with products that produce really impressive results at higher margins (example: Full frame)

The situation with point-and-shoots doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not a casual snapshooter.

We should be pleased that more photos are being taken now (and shared) than ever before. Even the enthusiasts are coming out and showing more, thanks to new technology. In the past three months I've seen books produced by complete non-technicians and several shows put on by non-professionals (including me) with a minimum of effort.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I don't disagree with anything you mention, Charles. But has the smartphone camera technology improved so much in the last two years to cause the sharp decline in dedicated camera sales seen in the past year? If so, I can see the impact on point and shoot cameras, but the drop in DSLR sales was big as well, and I have a harder time believing that smartphones are cutting into DSLR sales to that degree.

Maybe John Q. Public simply doesn't perceive the "improvements" in DSLR technology over the past couple years as significant enough to upgrade or replace their current gear? Perhaps they are happy with what they have and don't see any need to change?
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by ksbryan0 View Post
    I don't disagree with anything you mention, Charles. But has the smartphone camera technology improved so much in the last two years to cause the sharp decline in dedicated camera sales seen in the past year? If so, I can see the impact on point and shoot cameras, but the drop in DSLR sales was big as well, and I have a harder time believing that smartphones are cutting into DSLR sales to that degree.

Maybe John Q. Public simply doesn't perceive the "improvements" in DSLR technology over the past couple years as significant enough to upgrade or replace their current gear? Perhaps they are happy with what they have and don't see any need to change?
    I see the slump in 'DSLR' sales as mere market saturation. The low price digital SLR put the ability to own and operate the SLR into the hands of a huge number of new shooters. The vast majority have now bought one with the kit lens and either are using it or, more likely, gave up on it. The upgrade market alone cannot support the numbers that have been sold in the last few years.
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Looking more closely, I notice:

- the CIPA figures talk about camera shipments, not sales
    - the CIPA figures are from June 2013 and the article is from August 2013
    - DSLR and mirrorless shipments are down 18% after growing every year since 2003

So this information is to be taken with prudence.

I think that DSLR's have reached a high level of performance and upgrading brings you benefits only if you only push things to the limit. I kept the D70 two years then the D200 two years then the D300 for six years. The only thing that DSLR's do badly is video (but who cares about video - sorry, John Q. Public probably does)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Phone cameras have improved tremendously, and the connected aspect to phones and instant share is something people are getting used to, and they see it as "missing" with actual cameras, whether P&S or dSLR.

Besides instant share, you have instant access. EVERYONE has their phone on them at ALL TIMES. OK, maybe not in the shower.... So when little Susie spits up on Grandma's brand new Sunday dress it's easy to record forever and share instantly. A "real" camera would not have been handy, and the pic would have to have been uploaded to the PC before sharing, by which time the "moment" has passed.

For John Q. Public that's all that matters. He can take a picture anytime he wants and everybody in the Universe can see it right the *bleep* now. How good the picture is has no bearing at all. So yeah, the folks that used to by cheap-ish cameras to record the lives of baby dolls growing up don't need to any more.

I just wish people really knew the limitations. I took this picture a couple of years ago at an air show. It's easy to predict how many of these people got anything even resembling a useful image or video....

As for dSLR sales slowing down, I think the improvement in them has slowed down. I went from a used D50 to a D5000 then to a D7000 pretty quickly. I have no reason to keep upgrading now. And there's no point in upgrading unless I spend a LOT of money, because a much better camera (i.e. worth upgrading to) is going to exceed the capability of my mid-range glass. Being a hobbyist, not a pro, that's where I'm at.

Thread Information