ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Use LCD flat screen?

Hi to all from a newbie here. I've had a Iiyana 19" CRT for a number of years and am pretty happy with it. However, I'm about to move to Mexico, and would rather not truck it down with me. Are there LCD flat-screens which are suitable for use in PhotoShop/ PaintShop Pro? I've always heard that CRTs are more accurate than flat screens.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Of course...

Kevin,

This whole discussion was recently held somewhere around here, so you might want to do a forum search .

I've been a CRT man for many years (even with the onlsaught of cheaper and cheaper LCD models), but when I decided to get a new main monitor recently, I thought I'd finally give flat screen a try.

Well, I got a 19" Samsung SyncMaster, and so far I love it. It seems quite a bit brighter than the CRT, but I know some of that was because the old monitor was, well OLD and most certainly dimmed over the years.

Bottom line is I do a lot of critical photoshop work, and am currently editing and printing photos for an upcoming exhibition, and the LCD has been fine to work with. Taking into account the brightness of the screen, my prints are coming very close to matching what I see on the monitor (of course close attention to color profiling is crucial too).

I haven't really compared brands or anything, but I would probably stick with name brand monitors that have a track record of high quality...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Use LCD flat screen?

Stay away from the strange bands. I have a Viewsonic and it's a very nice LCD.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Well freygr and Steve, both Viewsonic and Samsung Synchmaster have excellent reputations in both their CRTs and many of their LCDs .....

However to complicate things, OLEDs are coming in very fast and they are brighter than LCDs, handle motion very much better and use less power. Sanyo already has a camera out that uses an OLED viewfinder and Canon is to follow very quickly. They also have a 160 degree view in bright lighting conditions which most LCDs cannot match. LCD screens will be replaced by OLEDs. The only issue is time but it has already begun.

Ronnoco

I was only looking at this the other day after receiving a computer email with reviews etc on LCD monitors. Two that were mentioned there are Viewsonic and Sasung as being quite good for Gamers etc and also mentioned it was really good for Photographers as well.

It basically comes down to money. If you have $3,500 to spare and want the best LCD there is for Photography or don't have that kind of money, then start by having a look at this link http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2662 for reviews and hopefully that will help you make an informed decision.

There has been a big discussion about this recently as well, Steve mentioned that above.

Digitally Challenged - Bonkers Kaelastreet's Avatar

Yes, stay away from strange brands, offers, and special mark-downs. Monitors are two a penny. Good Monitors, they can come expensive.

Whats the difference?

A good monitor comes with software that allows you to modify the image as seen and still hold a reference. As we get older, our colour perception changes, our optical linearity changes. A good monitopr can compensate without distortion and enable you to either see things how they are, or, see things how you want to without spoiling the image for others.
    My advise, FWIW, shop around, see it in use and most important, buy on a credit card for purchase protection.
    Its a case of You get what you pay for, and you have to pay for what you get.
    Google search for comparisons. Avoid eBay.

Kizz
    Now this, this is a egg, see, and this is how you suck it........ (sorry ...)

Nothing is ever as it seems to be

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Well freygr and Steve, both Viewsonic and Samsung Synchmaster have excellent reputations in both their CRTs and many of their LCDs .....

However to complicate things, OLEDs are coming in very fast and they are brighter than LCDs, handle motion very much better and use less power. Sanyo already has a camera out that uses an OLED viewfinder and Canon is to follow very quickly. They also have a 160 degree view in bright lighting conditions which most LCDs cannot match. LCD screens will be replaced by OLEDs. The only issue is time but it has already begun.

Ronnoco
    Sorry but Kodak had an OLED on one of there models last year....
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

I wouldn't mind have some spare change to drop on new LCD monitors. I think the technology is plenty advanced now that you can get great results from either style. All I know is I run three 19" monitors and ya need a lot of physical desktop space to give you a lot of virtual desktop space

Thread Information