Up Close and Personal

Printable View

• 03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
    Old Timer
    4 Attachment(s)
    Up Close and Personal
    Here is some action from a couple of recent High School basketball games. These were attemps to capture expression and tight action.
  • 03-07-2005, 11:11 AM
    Axle
    Re: Up Close and Personal
    Nicely done! I think you captured exactly what you wanted.
  • 03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
    Old Timer
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle
    Nicely done! I think you captured exactly what you wanted.

Thanks Axle. These were all shot from the end zone with the D70 and 80-200 f2.8 Here is one from the same position and with the same setup but with the action on the other end of the floor.
  • 03-07-2005, 01:47 PM
    Speed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Here is some action from a couple of recent High School basketball games. These were attemps to capture expression and tight action.

Awesome OT!!!!

It's not as easy as you think! And you did a great job of catching the action!

Very well done. Love the expressions you captured as well!
  • 03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    Awesome OT!!!!

It's not as easy as you think! And you did a great job of catching the action!

Very well done. Love the expressions you captured as well!

Thanks Speed. This is my first basketball season with the D70 and I have struggled most of the season with poorly lighted gyms and had very little to show for my time. These shots are from a district tournment game in a larger better lighted fieldhouse. I shot most at 1600 ISO at 250th and f2.8, some I used 1250 ISO at 320th at f2.8 with the SB800 on 1/64th power to put a little pop in the eyes. I was pleased with most of the results. I still was able to shoot in three shot burst with the flash at 1/64 power with out losing much. Glad you like the images.
  • 03-07-2005, 03:08 PM
    OldSchool
    Hey ya other old-guy,

Looks like your D70 is coming through... Great shots -- especially given Gym challenges (florescent lights and all). Did you use a custom white-balance or one of the D70 presets?

Cheers,
    OldSchool
    (aka Tim)
  • 03-07-2005, 03:14 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hey ya other old-guy,

Looks like your D70 is coming through... Great shots -- especially given Gym challenges (florescent lights and all). Did you use a custom white-balance or one of the D70 presets?

Cheers,
    OldSchool
    (aka Tim)

I let the camera do the thinking for me. Kept it on auto w/b and for the most part it did pretty well. I did a little color adjust in PS but not much. I do love the D70. I have 7 Nikons and I would have to say that the D70 was the easiest one since the F in 1972 to fall in love with.
  • 03-08-2005, 03:27 PM
    coachgns
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I let the camera do the thinking for me. Kept it on auto w/b and for the most part it did pretty well. I did a little color adjust in PS but not much. I do love the D70. I have 7 Nikons and I would have to say that the D70 was the easiest one since the F in 1972 to fall in love with.

Great Shots!
    My nephew does Sports Photography profesionally - I'm going to send to him. He'll appreciate.
    Unfortuanately, he does primarily NHL hockey. :-(
  • 03-08-2005, 04:01 PM
    Chunk
    You do a great job of catching the intensity of these athletes Larry. Does that #35 love the game or what? I especially like that they are not just frozen by flash exposure. The way you shoot keeps a lot of the feeling of motion.
  • 03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    You do a great job of catching the intensity of these athletes Larry. Does that #35 love the game or what? I especially like that they are not just frozen by flash exposure. The way you shoot keeps a lot of the feeling of motion.

Thanks Chunk! That was one of my goals with this shoot, try and capture the intensity of young athletes. Number 35 is just a freshman and show a lot of emotion and intesity on the floor. I have a few more basketball photo posted over on the sports forum if anyone cares to take a look.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=9629
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ead.php?t=9630
  • 03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
    natatbeach
    you did great...
  • 03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    you did great...

Thanks Nat!!! Good to hear from you again. Hope everyone is on the mend in your home and all is well.