ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Cool My very first post. (You may want to print this for if I become famous)

Hello, Quinn here.

I've only done minor exploring of the forums and liked what I say enough to start posting immediately.

My main concern on posting my own pics is what can be done with them, I won't pretend to be a great photogapher though I have my moments. While I don't know much of f/stops and apetures, I got a good eye. That helps.

I'm fluent in happy accidents.

Anyway, I want to know about rights and ownership. Can someone direct me to where the sticky behind the scenes things are explained.

I look forward to posting here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: My very first post. (You may want to print this for if I become famous)

Welcome! I think we all feel your concern with posting pictures and what might happen to them at some point. Basically, the only way to guarantee that someone isn't saving a copy of your image is never to post anything on the web and never to email an image to someone. I've posted many images here and elsewhere, as well as on my website, but they're all small images - usually no larger than 600 pixels on the long dimension. You might get a decent wallet-sized print out of that, maybe. So I don't worry about it too much but it's a personal choice.

You can register the copyright of your image, and as usual with government policies it's rather complicated. This is something that must be done if you have to sue somebody for copyright infringement. Don't lose any sleep over this; any decent organization that uses images will make sure they have permission to use the image - those who don't probably aren't worth trying to sue. Never personally had something like this come up and it's probably a longshot anyway. Several books have been written about it and you'll find the Library of Congress's website here.

print this incase you become famous?

I'll take my chances. ;)

Great shot, I love the little "pixie" pearing through the curtain. This is a hard type of image to capture and this one has done pretty well at it, you might experiment with more light behind the curtain - or just moving the light sources around to see what happens.
    Aaron

Liz

Welcome Quinn......

Welcome to PR! Anotherview answered your question, I hope. At any rate, I had the same concern when I posted a picture/portrait of my godchild. However, after reading an explanation similar to the one above, I decided to just keep uploading the pictures!

I enjoyed your photo - nice one - and it fits the post perfectly! ;)

I hope you will post many more photos. You will learn a lot here - and I'm sure we will all learn from you.

The best thing is - this is a fun site.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Flight
    Hello, Quinn here.

I've only done minor exploring of the forums and liked what I say enough to start posting immediately.

My main concern on posting my own pics is what can be done with them, I won't pretend to be a great photogapher though I have my moments. While I don't know much of f/stops and apetures, I got a good eye. That helps.

Anyway, I want to know about rights and ownership. Can someone direct me to where the sticky behind the scenes things are explained.

Hello, Quinn here.

I find it odd that you worry about someone uploading your pics and doing something with them, but you don't worry about putting a pic of your own children up here. I guess we all worry about something and being a mom of two, the last thing I would ever post up here is a pic of my child! Watch the news sometime, there are alot of wackos out there and I don't think these forums are any different. Don't get me wrong, I love this site and learn alot from it, it's a great place to share and learn. I'm just aware is all and take caution when it comes to my children. I am a mom, and alot of my photos are of my children, and I would love nothing more than to share them with the world and get feedback on my work. There are alot of other things I can do that with though. It's not worth it! Take care,

jewel.

and for me, I can't understand the difference between putting a picture of my child's face on the web, vs. the hundreds of people who see my child's face walk past them in daily life. If anyone can explain the difference to me, I'd appreciate it very much.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by jewel30
    I find it odd that you worry about someone uploading your pics and doing something with them, but you don't worry about putting a pic of your own children up here. I guess we all worry about something and being a mom of two, the last thing I would ever post up here is a pic of my child! Watch the news sometime, there are alot of wackos out there and I don't think these forums are any different. Don't get me wrong, I love this site and learn alot from it, it's a great place to share and learn. I'm just aware is all and take caution when it comes to my children. I am a mom, and alot of my photos are of my children, and I would love nothing more than to share them with the world and get feedback on my work. There are alot of other things I can do that with though. It's not worth it! Take care,

jewel.
    It's not my daughter in the pic

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    Great shot, I love the little "pixie" pearing through the curtain. This is a hard type of image to capture and this one has done pretty well at it, you might experiment with more light behind the curtain - or just moving the light sources around to see what happens.
    Thanks. I was dinking with my camera while getting ready for a trip to Atlanta, my friends daughters were interested and wanted me to take pics of them, I swas just snapping away, I didn't know I got this pic until I came back from my road trip, but it's one of my favorites.

Smile Re: My very first post. (You may want to print this for if I become famous)

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    and for me, I can't understand the difference between putting a picture of my child's face on the web, vs. the hundreds of people who see my child's face walk past them in daily life. If anyone can explain the difference to me, I'd appreciate it very much.
    I think when your with your child walking down the street, people are not taking pics of them for their own personal use, yes? On the internet people do strange **** while hiding behind their computers, just watch the news. God knows what their doing with the photos they get off the net. There are alot of sick people where all they have is their computer and this is their lives. There are too many sick and perverted stories for me out there to not worry about that. It's just too easy in cyber space. Maybe I am just being paranoid, I'm a mom
    Jewel.

Talking Re: My very first post. (You may want to print this for if I become famous)

On the internet people do strange **** while hiding behind their computers, just watch the news. God knows what their doing with the photos they get off the net. There are alot of sick people where all they have is their computer and this is their lives. There are too many sick and perverted stories for me out there to not worry about that.
    Well that's a pretty sicko freak thing to think
    Jupiter,
    god of olympus

Well that's a pretty sicko freak thing to think
    Ummm, just reality, and to think that it isn't even your kids your putting out there! Real nice, give your head a shake next time!

Ummm, just reality, and to think that it isn't even your kids your putting out there! Real nice, give your head a shake next time!
    You should stop acting like everyone on the net is a pedophile.

Are you saying that children should not have pictures taken? Are you suggesting people who take pics of kids are perverts?

I'll shake my head next time, if you think next time
    Jupiter,
    god of olympus

Thread Information