ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Today's Camera Testing

I had to make a huge sacrifice and do some camera testing with my new Canon SD950 IS today. It was terrible. But for you guys, I'm willing to suffer a little.

All photos except for the one taken from my car were taken at Alta ski resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon, above Salt Lake City. The photo from my car was taken at the bottom of Little Cottonwood. All pictures were taken with the Canon PowerShot SD950 IS point-and-shoot digital. During the summer I tested the SD850 IS and I liked it so much I bought the SD950 IS a few weeks ago. I will have a review for it done in a week or so. So far I like everything but the wide end of the zoom. But to get a wider lens I would have had to give up the optical viewfinder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Camera Testing-img_0409-2.jpg   Today's Camera Testing-img_0400.jpg   Today's Camera Testing-img_0414-2.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

More Ski Photos

This first one is so sweet. It was a lucky shot from the lift. This guy was pinning it in the choppy stuff.

These photos were all tweaked a bit in Lightroom and then I used adjustment layers in Photoshop to finish them up. I swear, foggy snow photos are the hardest to set up. It's so hard to get the contrast right without blowing out the highlights. The photo of the cliffs and fog was a brutal one. It's got a levels adjustment layer, a curves adjustment layer, and a saturation adjustment layer. Given, the photos were taken with a point-and-shoot. But it's not much different with a digital SLR. I am hoping I figure it out and it gets easier as the winter progresses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Today's Camera Testing-img_0415-2.jpg   Today's Camera Testing-img_0435.jpg   Today's Camera Testing-img_0429.jpg  
    Photo-John

Re: Today's Camera Testing

:thumbsup: Nice, good to see utah getting some snow finally. Lucky one from the lift is sweet.

Wow, I'm SO happy I was in the valley today studying for finals and working. That must have been awful! You really took one for the team there.

I think I might head up to Solitude tomorrow. The nordic part though. So I have yet to decide whether to lug the D300 AND my fat butt around up there.

Quote Originally Posted by WCpilot
    I think I might head up to Solitude tomorrow. The nordic part though. So I have yet to decide whether to lug the D300 AND my fat butt around up there.
    Conditions should be a test for the camera. Like I said, shooting in flat light in the snow is really tough. I decided to leave the big camera in the car yesterday. I need to get my ski skills tuned up more than I need great photos. I'll be up at Alta again today. I'm going for the whole day today. So I may take th big camera out for a run. The EOS 40D has Highlight Tone Priority feature that might be good for snow photos.

Hope to see some photos from you. And please post a review for your D300 as soon as possible. We need some user reviews for that camera, even if they're a bit preliminary. We can always update the review later. But people want to know more about it now.
    Photo-John

Sacrifice is the name of the game John. I can tell from the selfer you were really feeling the pain. Nice job balancing out all the elements in the images.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

The one - The only

John I want to be the first to actually thank you for your selfless act and for hitting the slopes!

Looks like the SD950 IS is a nice little unit. I do have to ask...where's the obligatory pic of the new boots actually being used?

BTW, the Highlight Tone Priority feature should help with the snow blowing out. Try to keep it within one stop OE, but it will give results all the way to about 2 stops OE.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

oh man, i overslept today. oh well, i probably can't get more than an hour or two up there anyway. i'll have some shots for you tonight or tomorrow. John, I was actually just waiting to get some outdoor time with the D300. I'll get a review up for you soon.

John,

My heart goes out to the punishment you put your body through on our behalf.

Seems that the unit is working well.

How are the legs holding out?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

More power to you. Once in the Utah snow a few years back for the olympics was more than enough for me. Great shots by the way, I love how you held the highlights after a little work. Based on your review of the 850IS, I bought one for my wife back in August and she loves the thing.

Thanks again for all the self sacrifice that you endure for us.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

It looks cold out there!

Thats the one thing I'm not looking forward to when I head out there for Christmas. My parents live in Lehi & I'll be spending a day or two out shooting somewhere in the snow.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Cold?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    It looks cold out there!

Thats the one thing I'm not looking forward to when I head out there for Christmas. My parents live in Lehi & I'll be spending a day or two out shooting somewhere in the snow.
    It was actually on the warm side that day - just below freezing. I was a bit sweaty. Sunday was more proper ski weather - in the twenties (Farenheit). The snow is the best when it stays well below freezing. And if you've got the right clothes it's no problem at all.
    Photo-John

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I'm so spoiled. I thought the 50 degree windy weather was cold on saturday

keeping OT, how did the camera handle the cold battery wise? When I shot some soccer last year in some 30 degree weather, I had to change batteries due to the cold/wind.

My wife's P&S will probably get some work this year out in the cold as well while we're out there.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Down my way, cold is when we have to wear a wetsuit because the water temp is finally a little below 80. You can keep the whitestuff.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

I sure wish they would bump up the zoom on these cameras. Been looking at maybe getting a panasonic just for that reason but all I have ever known is Canon point and shoots.

Oh...Nice shots!
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

Thread Information