ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Ultralightweight camping choice

So you are going on a tough backpacking and you are expecting to see some amazing stuff, Landscapes, flowers, animals.... It's going to be a sufferfest just carrying your supplies up.

What will you (do, have done) take to shoot photos?

Do you suffer along with you tent, pack, bag, food, take the full kit of high-DSLR with lots of lenses? (I can relate to the point of view that you have to suffer to get those shots).

Or would you take some 4 oz point-and-shoot?

Or something else?

What is a good back country photo kit?

I have a quiver of the following to pick from

-d70s body
    -d200 body
    -70-200 f/2.8
    -28-85 lens f2.8
    -18-70 f3.5-4.5
    -12-24 f/4
    -50 mm f/1.8
    -35 mm f/2.0

-24-65 mm Panasonic Lx3

-28-105 mm canon A80

Or by suggestion,

-This all sucks, buy this!__________________________________

Re: Ultralightweight camping choice

when i do shorter trips i take all my dslr stuff (see signature for most equipment -it weights about 20 pounds) i haven't done more than a few days since i got all my dslr stuff though, so id have to get over that hurdle when i come to it.

though if i get a olympus sw p&s i might think differently.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    So you are going on a tough backpacking and you are expecting to see some amazing stuff, Landscapes, flowers, animals.... It's going to be a sufferfest just carrying your supplies up.

Do you suffer along with you tent, pack, bag, food, take the full kit of high-DSLR with lots of lenses? (I can relate to the point of view that you have to suffer to get those shots).

Or something else?

-d70s body
    -d200 body
    -70-200 f/2.8
    -28-85 lens f2.8
    -18-70 f3.5-4.5
    -12-24 f/4
    -50 mm f/1.8
    -35 mm f/2.0

-24-65 mm Panasonic Lx3

-28-105 mm canon A80

Or by suggestion,

-This all sucks, buy this!__________________________________
    Tough question. It depends on what your priority is: ultralightweight or serious photography. Maybe something in between. I've had experiences where I've taken my dslr and a few lenses along with a good p&s - and never touched the dslr. OTOH I've gone with just my p&s and wished I'd had the dslr.

I have the LX3 so I would definitely put that in my bag - it does wonders with landscapes with that nice 24mm wide angle lens with the 2.0 aperture. And it's small. If you're more into just relaxing and taking some nice shots, that might be enough.

Or........take the LX3 along with one dslr and one (or two at the most) lenses - whatever focal length you don't want to miss.

I certainly wouldn't take all those wonderful lenses you have listed - some are a bit heavy. since you're looking for "ultralightweight."

Just my personal thoughts.

Liz

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Like Liz said, it depends on your priorities. Photography would most likely be pretty high on my priority list, so that is where I'm coming from.

The last extended hiking trip I went on was when I was first getting into photography. I had a film SLR and 2 kit lenses. I didn't have room in my backpack for the kit, and a shoulder bag was out of the question. I purchased a LowePro TLZ bag that has a harness on it so I could mount the camera to my chest. It allowed me to keep my hands free and the kit was light enough that it wasn't a big deal. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with the same strategy. Keep it as light, and as versatile as possible. I would take the battery grip off of my camera to save some weight and I would keep my lens selection pretty limited. A versatile zoom lens like a 70-300mm would be a nice range to have that wouldn't weigh a ton. The 50mm f/1.8 would be a great choice as well. I have gone on day hikes with only kit lenses and they save a TON of weight. I love my f/2.8 lenses, but they weigh a ton. Thrown in a 28-105mm kit lens and you almost don't know it's there. If you deal with the limitations of kit lenses, they are a great weigh to save weight. I would also throw in my G9.

Based on what you have in your kit, I would suggest the D70 (assuming it's lighter than the D200) The 18-70mm (assuming it's lighter than the 12-24mm) and the 70-200mm. I would also throw in the LX3. I would think all/most of this plus an extra battery or two & memory card would fit in the TLZ bag I have that I can mount on my chest. It might be a little tight with the 70-200mm.

Now for the tripod...
    Last edited by mjs1973; 07-22-2009 at 05:36 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I don't own a p&s so I take my DSLR. No grip, extra battery. Usually no more than two lenses, and a couple filters perhaps. Also a Gorillapod SLR Zoom with Giottos ball head.

Yep, I carry a full compliment of backpacking gear. I'm not exactly he-man either, I'm only about a buck-forty. The trick is lightweight gear. My Tarptent Contrail weighs 24oz and is roomier than some 2-person tents that weight 3 times as much. My sleeping bag is about 20oz. Instead of a cushy inflatable pad, I go with the Thermarest Z-Lite which is something like 11oz. I don't bring a change of clothes (absurd! but some people do it), and I have also weighed all my clothes and go with the lightest.

Or something else?
    My buddy goes with his G10, and I'm sure you'd be fine with the LX3 depending on how "serious" you want to get with photography.

Well I go with:
    • DSLR with no grip and one lens attached
    • Camera and lens combo goes in LowePro TLZ camera pouch which gets attached to either my pack lid for over the head access or to my sternum strap for really quick access.
    • Extra lens in Domke wrap kept in top lid of pack
    • Gorillapod with Giottos ball head
    • Extra battery and other accessories (filter, lens pen..) in small pouch of camera bag or in top lid of pack.

-d70s body
    -d200 body
    -70-200 f/2.8
    -28-85 lens f2.8
    -18-70 f3.5-4.5
    -12-24 f/4
    -50 mm f/1.8
    -35 mm f/2.0

-24-65 mm Panasonic Lx3

-28-105 mm canon A80
    If DSLR then I would do D70 plus two lenses catering to your shooting style and expected shooting situations.

Otherwise LX3

So, where are you going?

Well I would take one body and the 18-70mm & 70-200mm lenses. The kit lens gives you the wide angle for scenery but the 70-200 is a little short for most wild life.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Rampant paranoia choice

Lets just imagine that the weather doesn't pan out exactly the way you want it and for the first three days you have to walk in rain. Plus as you're scrambing over rock, can't wear a cape - the rain gets into your pack. You check your camera gear out at the end of the day and it's wet. (Happened to me in the Alps). My choice from your gear for this situation:

- Nikon D70
    - 18-70
    - a relatively cheap telezoom (55-200 or 70-300)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information