ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The Ultimate Digital P&S?

There were a couple of recent digital camera announcements that I think are important and wanted to point out to you guys. One is the new Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 which has a digital SLR-sized, 10-megapixel sensor. This is significant because a larger sensor means better image quality. Larger pixels will deliver better images than more, tiny pixels. If APS-sized sensor start to find their way onto compact cameras, we may start to see compact digital cameras that can equal legendary, "secret weapon" 35mm point-and-shoots like the Yashica T4 Super, Olympus Stylus Epic, and expensive compacts made by Contax and Leica. So far, in my opinion, there have been no compact digitals that can compare to those film cameras loaded with good slide film.

The other notable camera announcement is the Ricoh GR Digital. Ricoh produced a series of simple, excellent 35mm point-and-shoot cameras, starting with the R1. Those cameras all featured high quality, fixed focal length, large aperture, wide-angle lenses and spot meters. They were tiny and became underground classics among people who knew - just like the Yashica T4 Super and Olympus Stylus Epic. Ricoh stopped selling their film cameras in the US 5 or 6 years ago, though. The only way you could get them was to order from B&H or other dealers who carry overseas products.

If the new, 8-megapixel Ricoh GR Digital is as good as the Ricoh 35mm point-and-shoots, then I'm excited and intend to be first in line to try one. Ideally we'll see small simple cameras like this with full-sized (APS) sensors. I'm not sure about the dimensions of the GR Digital sensor but I don't think it's as big as the new Sony DSC-R1's. However, the GR Digital name indicates the lens and meter will be excellent and it will have very quick startup and shutter response. I'm excited to get a hold of one and find out if it lives up to the reputation of its 35mm predecessors. Ever since I went 100% digital and my last Yashica T4 Super was stolen, I've been waiting for a worthy digital replacement. So far nothing has measured up. But these two new cameras from Sony and Ricoh give me hope.

Related Links

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Press Release >>
    Ricoh GR Digital Press Release >>
    Yashica T4 Super Reviews >>
    Olympus Epic Stylus Reviews >>
    Richoh 35mm P&S Reviews >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: The Ultimate Digital P&S?

These are interesting developments. The Sony has the sensor that rumor has it will be in the next Nikon DSLR - we'll see... It's not much smaller than some DSLR's - or less expensive, but it could be a sign of things to come.

That Ricoh looks more interesting to me personally, too - especially if high ISO's are good.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: The Ultimate Digital P&S?

John if the Ricoh has the same lens as the film based GR... You have a winner!!!

T4..... NO RICOH GR

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...hy_%20magazine
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Ricoh R1

I always wanted the original Ricoh R1. But they were expensive and very hard to come by. Plus, I already had the T4 Super. And I've been waiting so long for a camera like this to show up. Loren and I have had many conversations on this subject. The only thing I'm concerned about is the sensor in the Ricoh. The lens is only one part of the image quality equation. I'm also wondering if Sony might use that 10 megapixel CMOS sensor in a high-end P-series camera. If so, I think that might be the ultimate digital P&S.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Ricoh R1

This came to me via EMAIL from a birding group no less

"The camera uses the same size sensor (1/1.8" - about
    8.9mm diagonal) as the CP4500. Though it has 8Mp.

However, it has two molded aspheric elements and one ED element and
    has been engineered to be very sharp to the corners of the image and
    to have very low chromatic aberrations and very low distortion. It
    also has a neutral density filter to help you use smaller f-numbers
    for less DOF and it uses a seven bladed diaphram which is supposed to
    help the look of out of focus elements. So the lens design is
    "special", though some fans of the GR 1 are disappointed at their
    choice of using a small sensor.

The Ricoh and the new large sensor Sony are interesting cameras in
    that they might indicate a trend of makers looking for niche camera
    designs.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information