ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Turpintine Creek Big Cat Sanctuary, Arkansas

Finally finishing going through my Arkansas pictures (and now starting Michigan).

We stopped at a big cat sanctuary that my sister went to last year. The pictures came out so-so. What's the best way to shoot an animals behind wire mesh?

Most of their cats came from either breeders or private owners. My ridiculous fact of the day-- only 14 states have laws restricting the ownership of large cats. In the majority of states, you don't even need to be licensed to own them. The only regulations is the same animal cruelty laws that apply to dogs and cats.

The white tiger in the third picture has a pug faced deformity because of inbreeding. His parents were brother and sister (they're also at the sanctuary), because the white tigers are worth more the breeders often breed two white siblings since it increases the chance of getting white offspring. It also increases the chance for deformities. There was a brother of his there as well that was cross eyed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turpintine Creek Big Cat Sanctuary, Arkansas-img_2434.jpg   Turpintine Creek Big Cat Sanctuary, Arkansas-img_2440.jpg   Turpintine Creek Big Cat Sanctuary, Arkansas-img_2445.jpg   Turpintine Creek Big Cat Sanctuary, Arkansas-img_2457.jpg  

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Turpintine Creek Big Cat Sanctuary, Arkansas

Hey Cara,

I love the third one! And I definitely feel your pain on shooting things through wire fences!

On the positive side, as long as I live in one of those 36 states that allow you to own big cats, it looks like my childhood dream could actually come true some day

Thanks for posting!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Turpintine Creek Big Cat Sanctuary, Arkansas

I love that last shot of the mountain lion. Since I live in CA, I've had the pleasure of seeing 3 so far while out mountain biking in the past 2 years. All the big cats are beautiful animals.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information