ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

trying to make John's list :)

HERE ALMO ... A snake I took in northern NJ. YOU ID it

*disclaimer*

I only want to be on the list of LOTTERY WINNERS... all other lists are unimportant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trying to make John's list :)-4-pain-ass-almo-hahaha.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: trying to make John's list :)

I know that one, I might need help with bird ID's but know snakes of NJ pretty good I spent a lot of time in my youth trying to catch these guys.

Black Rat Snake.

ps. Thanks for the bird ID's

Mike

Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hey Paul....

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj

*disclaimer*

I only want to be on the list of LOTTERY WINNERS... all other lists are unimportant
    Can you ID this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trying to make John's list :)-2365214-139.jpg  
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Hey Paul....

black racer they bite you 3 times a second those SOB florida snakes ;) I always try to find eastern diamondback in FL, but have yet to find one outside of gladesherp

BTW.... wanna laugh.. check the file name on my image
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Mike and John.... I thought so when I caught her(Yes I can sex snakes without probing...no male genitals here) That snake was as tame as ANY pet trade snake ! I didn't remove her from the wild! I only held her so my friend can take a closer image.. then I place it right back in the same exact spot.

BTW Mike..... a friend found an eastern hognose( took PHOTOS to prove it) in Pequannock watershed in may.... very rare find in NJ these days!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

BTW Mike..... a friend found an eastern hognose( took PHOTOS to prove it) in Pequannock watershed in may.... very rare find in NJ these days!
    I never saw a Hognose in the wild here in NJ, although I know somebody that caught one less than a quarter of a mile from where I grew up, we're talking 30 some odd years ago. I did come across one on a golf course not to far over the river in PA.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    I never saw a Hognose in the wild here in NJ, although I know somebody that caught one less than a quarter of a mile from where I grew up, we're talking 30 some odd years ago. I did come across one on a golf course not to far over the river in PA.

Mike
    When I lived in Michigan some dude came into the petstore with 3 Hognose babies he picked up from his drive way. He had run over like 4 or 5 more of them, but 3 survived. He actually wanted to sell the poor things.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

*disclaimer*

I forgot to tell you that when I was in NC I came across a 5-6 foot blackie. I tried to wrangle him so I could get a few pictures but the damn thing just bit me and took off in a little pond. Shucks...
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I just remembered I got a shot of a black snake a few months back. Seems to me I use to see a lot more snakes years ago so I don't think it's just the hognose that is getting to be rare in NJ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trying to make John's list :)-blacksnake2.jpg  

Wink If You Like Snakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    I just remembered I got a shot of a black snake a few months back. Seems to me I use to see a lot more snakes years ago so I don't think it's just the hognose that is getting to be rare in NJ.
    Then you'll love North Carolina!

I've seen more black racers than anything else, but I've seen my fair share of copperheads as well. Throw in some water snakes, some green snakes, an occassional rat snake and corn snake, and a rattler and a water moccason, and you get the idea. Oh yeah, I've also seen two corral snakes here in Carteret County. Double checked the color bands, and they were corral snakes not king snakes. "Red touches yellow, kill a fellow." Red touches black on a king snake.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I used to find milksnakes, eastern kingsnakes , tons of garters, red bellied, ringnecked, a few copperhead and occationally a timber rattler nearly every year as a child. Now I see very few snakes besides garters and watersnakes. I did find a pine snake a few years back and know were 2 timber rattler dens are

Rob... tell me which kingsnake in your area is banded ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

I used to find milksnakes, eastern kingsnakes , tons of garters, red bellied, ringnecked, a few copperhead and occationally a timber rattler nearly every year as a child. Now I see very few snakes besides garters and watersnakes. I did find a pine snake a few years back and know were 2 timber rattler dens are

Rob... tell me which kingsnake in your area is banded ;)
    Scarlet Kingsnake (Lampropeltis triangulum elapsoides)

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum), although this species is sadled like a cornsnake some specimens could be seen as banded by a layman. Also, in the pet trade anyway, there is a banded phase, and a hybrid with gray bandeds, (Lampropeltis alterna).
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

AH, so NC has dem dare scarlet kingsnakies down yonder ;) I learned something today

John .... ball pythons( python regalis I do believe?) come pied, caramel albino and even a purple(lavander) leucistic I do believe, but we all know what they REALLY are supposed to look like I raised a trio of albino ruthveni in my youth pal
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

AH, so NC has dem dare scarlet kingsnakies down yonder ;) I learned something today

John .... ball pythons( python regalis I do believe?) come pied, caramel albino and even a purple(lavander) leucistic I do believe, but we all know what they REALLY are supposed to look like I raised a trio of albino ruthveni in my youth pal
    It's Python regius, and that is my Favorite snake!!!!

I would kill for a piebald regius. Oh man thay are so cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trying to make John's list :)-all3balls.jpg  
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

well then.........

http://www.briansharp.com/505pied3_large.gif

and this guys breeding collection of balls has always made me go.... DAMB!!!!!!!!

http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com/co...all_python.asp
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Scarlet Kingsnake

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Scarlet Kingsnake (Lampropeltis triangulum elapsoides)

Eastern Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum), although this species is sadled like a cornsnake some specimens could be seen as banded by a layman. Also, in the pet trade anyway, there is a banded phase, and a hybrid with gray bandeds, (Lampropeltis alterna).
    Almo beat me to it!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information