ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Talking Re: Tripod Users Vs. Non-Tripod Users

While the athletes are away at the Beiging Olympics, the Australian Institute of Sport which is just down the road, is absolutely dead. The AIS Rowing Sheds near the Yacht Club where I sail are also dead, ... it is like a ghost town around here now, and I like it.

So not wanting to waste good elbow room, and with enough room to swing a dozen cats at once, I went to the AIS and did a Selbst Portrait.

Selbst Portrait as Human Trip-odd on SARGILOP ... with attendant bits, Man'fro' head on the Gitzo monopod (the one that I really hate).

It is amazing when you are bored, how inspiring picking up the camera can be, :thumbsup: .

Warren

PS, I showed the photo to my daughter Lucy this evening, and she said, "Dad why did you tuck your shirt in, you never tuck your shirt in." Do all you other photographers find that your art when shown to others, is just one big monumental torment?
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 08-12-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Re: Tripod Users Vs. Non-Tripod Users

i use a tripod for alot of my waterfall photos, and car photos. but my girlfriend lugs it around for me lol she loves to help out with stuff
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I don't use tripods unless I absolutely have to. In fact, i don't even own one. The last one I used was a borrowed one on a nature photography expedition in Norway- I used a tripod a fair bit there as I was working with some supertelephotos, macros, and specialized lenses and subjects demanding it.

Ordinarily, though, I'm a photojournalist. I have a monopod, two hands and decent technique, pretty fast lenses and a camera that works well in low light. I also often use the area around me to support the camera as a 'tripod' with a combination of lens caps and odds and ends from the bag to tilt the lens to the appropriate angle of elevation.

The closest I come nowadays to a tripod is that my new monopod has a little 3 leg thing that comes out of its foot when you unscrew it, but I typically use that to turn it into a light stand rather than a makeshift tripod.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I use mine all the time..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tripod Users Vs. Non-Tripod Users-cropped-custom-.jpg  
    Last edited by Frog; 08-12-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: no pic
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Figured I'd share a shot I took last night.

This image is a highly cropped section of an image shot with a 300mm prime and a 2x teleconverter and handheld (not even a monopod) - too low, too fast.

Just get the shot. If a tripod allows you to get it, use it. If a tripod keeps you from getting it, loose it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tripod Users Vs. Non-Tripod Users-green-heron-3-d.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Figured I'd share a shot I took last night.

This image is a highly cropped section of an image shot with a 300mm prime and a 2x teleconverter and handheld (not even a monopod) - too low, too fast.

Just get the shot. If a tripod allows you to get it, use it. If a tripod keeps you from getting it, loose it.
    Loupey, I think you are a special case. You are some kind of handheld titan...
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information