ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

travel this year?

Is anyone going anywhere exciting?

Dh is going to London and then Budapest next month. It's work related, but he should have a weekend to himself in Budapest. If it was summer vacation, I would seriously consider tagging along, but the girls are in school still, and I hate to leave them with a sitter while they are.

I will be in Vegas in June, though, so that's kinda exciting. Booking my flight when I get home from my youngest's field trip.

I'm planning on taking my camera, and dh has an elph that he uses, so that makes this photo-related.

Re: travel this year?

When in London tell him to take a trip on the London Eye (http://www.londoneye.com/), some great shots to be had from it - day or night (but beware reflections )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails travel this year?-thames.jpg  

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Adina...sounds like fun for you and DH...Kim and I were going to go to Phoenix, but the wedding plans got postponed so guess we'll only get the summer vacation. Leaving here on June 30 headed for Galveston, TX where we'll spend a day sunning, surfing and photographing the granddaughter. Then the next day we'll drive to San Antonio, via the Houston Space Center. Depending on what time we finish with the HSC and the Alamo and River Walk, we'll either spend the night in San Antonio or drive on in to Odessa, Texas, where we'll spend the remainder of Kims vacation. My daughters from Phoenix are planning on coming, so it should be an exciting 2 weeks. Other than that...we plan on several weekend day trips around Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and maybe Minnesota for picture taking!!!
    I'm wondering...since you mentioned it...we're taking our cameras so maybe "tax write-off" if we get the business started soon enough!!! hahahaha
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Galveston and San Antonio are a lot of fun, but I'd be really tempted to head up to Austin from there. Lots of good stuff to see, hear (and eat) including the first photograph ever made (1826, France I think). It's at the museum at UTA although I haven't seen it myself.

I'm about going out of my mind with spring fever. I think we're taking a long weekend soon to go somewhere close - need a break... In June I have a long weekend up north on the big lake. My wife and I are having our 10th anniversary in August so there's something good travel-wise planned for that but she doesn't know what yet!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Kim and I were going to go to Phoenix, but the wedding plans got postponed so guess we'll only get the summer vacation. Ken
    I'll catch you guys the next time you're in town then!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I once knew this girl named Adina who promised to come to Arizona this summer...

How much time do you and dh (what does that stand for anyway?) have in Vegas? Enough time to play?

I am going to Colorado at some point in the summer with the gf but not sure if it's gonna be Telluride or Pagosa Springs. She can't take the heat when it hits 115 here in Phoenix. We might also go to Mexico at some point this year it's only about a 4 hour drive to the beach there.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Adina, if you've been to Vegas before, you probably know this already, but... Don't neglect the old part of Vegas. The lights on Freemont Street are great photo material. When I was there last, it rained and all the colorful lights were reflecting off everything.

Ken, Galveston and San Antonio both have some good photo opportunities. Downtown Galveston is pretty...lots of old buildings. Houston Space Center to the Alamo, the River Walk, and on to Odessa is way too much to do in one day! Just the HSC, Alamo and River Walk is probably too much. I think it's about a 4 hour drive between Houston and San Antonio. But, I agree with AV, you should come to Austin...and I'm not biased at all. I'd be happy to give you some Austin tourist advice if you're interested.

Rick, Pagosa Springs is beautiful. I've been backpacking in that area three times. There are tons of trails. I love that place.

I'm going to France in October with my girlfriend. It will be my first time off the continent. I can't wait! Ever since we started talking about going I've been trying to figure out how to handle photography on the trip. I'm not sure what (how much) gear I want to take. Film is going to be a hassle, but I can't go to Paris and not shoot some B&W film.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I once knew this girl named Adina who promised to come to Arizona this summer...

How much time do you and dh (what does that stand for anyway?) have in Vegas? Enough time to play?

Rick
    Arizona would be a family vacation, and we are still tossing it around. It depends on how the finances look after the kitchen is done.

I will be solo in Vegas, I decided to go to Chick who Click ( www.ppa.com ), and will be flying in Thursday, and flying out Monday. So depending on flight times, a little extra time on either end.

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Don't neglect the old part of Vegas. The lights on Freemont Street are great photo material.
    Anybody a fan of the TV show "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain? He's my role model. Good show on Vegas recently. Think it's on the Travel Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    So depending on flight times, a little extra time on either end.
    I was going to ask if you had the inclination to make it a "mini-gathering" but sounds like you'll be busy.

Vegas is full of photo ops. Bring your tripod for the night shots on the strip. And if you want to see some nature, drive an hour east to the Valley of Fire!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

We're heading to Jamaica for our honeymoon after Christmas. I would like to go someplace this summer, but with the wedding this fall, I don't know if we will be able to swing any other trips.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

Congratulations Michael...when's the big day??...maybe we'll have to make a PR wedding/reception crash...hahahaha....no serious...I'm very happy for you!!! Yamaica maan...I've only been to the airport there, but was in St. Thomas for my college graduation. I think you'll love it...hehe...

Austin is a great city!!!! I'm going to Galveston mainly to do the beach for my granddaughter who will be travelling with us and to meet up with some old friends I've known for many years from when I used to live in Houston. As for San Anton...it's more or less going to be a lunch stop and depending on how or granddaughter is doing, It may only be a couple of hour stop...If it turns in to an all afternoon thing, then I won't try to make Odessa. I used to drive Houston to Odessa frequently, so It's not too bad of a drive, even with a couple of hour lay over in SA We get started real early, usually when travelling, and I'm known for doing 12 - 13 hours driving easy. One of these years, I'd love to take Kim to Austin, when it's just the 2 of us!!! Alot of night things I'd like to do there...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I'm probably going to Massachusetts this summer to see my sister. Going to Boston, the Cape, Salem, and Marthas Vineyard. Might make the trek up to Canada, and will definitely be going to New York City again, because my girlfriend has never been. I'll probably get some archetecture shots and maybe some night shots of NYC.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Serendipity-Doo!

I'm going all over the place and then some. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

But I wouldn't have it any other way

The serendipity - check out the Quick Poll I posted yesterday: http://www.photographyreview.com/qikVote_1407crx.aspx

Vote!
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Congratulations Michael...when's the big day??...maybe we'll have to make a PR wedding/reception crash...hahahaha....no serious...I'm very happy for you!!! Yamaica maan...I've only been to the airport there, but was in St. Thomas for my college graduation. I think you'll love it...hehe...
    Thanks Ken,

The big day is Nov. 4th.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I will be going out east to Québec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, and Prince Edward Island with my wife and son who was disabled in a head-on collision, last summer. We will be doing the tent trailer thing.

I will get a chance to practice my Québécois French and get used to Acadian French and of course take along a few cameras and various assorted equipment. Travel shots are saleable too.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I will be going out east to Québec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, and Prince Edward Island
    I lived in Fredericton when I was little. Haven't been back since I left, about 30 years ago. That's a trip I need to make, too. I look forward to seeing your photos.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    The big day is Nov. 4th.
    Congrads! I knew it was in the works but didn't know that you set a date. So the big question, who is photographing it?

Re: Serendipity-Doo!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The serendipity - check out the Quick Poll I posted yesterday
    I didn't know how to vote. I don't usually go on trips specifically for photography but it's usually a big part of traveling. The more, the better! Need... road... trip... soon...

Poor Poor mjs1973

Just kidding of course! Congrats, and good luck!

As for Photo John's poll on travel, I spend $5000 in gas a year driving around for the paper...and never get out of the state!
    The good part is they pay mileage.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Well, I've been on a few minor trips so far (Calgary, Vancouver, back home) so those have been quite photographic. I did have a month longed tripped planned for Asia and then New York; but unforunately I did the mature thing and pursued a job opportunity *sigh*

Thanks Steve and JS.

As for the photographer... I'm not sure... I would like to find someone to do it digitally and then let me take care of all the edits, and ordering of prints myself. I have a coworker who might go for that, but I haven't asked her about it yet.

My other option is to do it myself, and then photoshop me into the pics.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I just got back from Vegas. Attended WPPI and did a workshop as well.. Even met a member of PR (Henry) one night while I was out. It was my first time in Vegas, but not my last. I'm off 2 Dominican Republic next week for another 4 day workshop.

Here's one image from Vegas.

Sort of

Dh is going to London and then Budapest next month. It's work related, but he should have a weekend to himself in Budapest. If it was summer vacation, I would seriously consider tagging along, but the girls are in school still, and I hate to leave them with a sitter while they are.

I will be in Vegas in June, though, so that's kinda exciting. Booking my flight when I get home from my youngest's field trip.

I'm planning on taking my camera, and dh has an elph that he uses, so that makes this photo-related.
    I have been or am going to London, Brussels, Hamburg, Lisbon, Madrid and Rome for my current project. This isn't very exciting. I leave home at 5.30am, to go to the airport, taxi to the client site somewhere in an industrial zone, spend 5-6 hours doing photos of computer equipment and checking what's been delivered then back to the airport to get home at about 11pm. I wake up next day at 7am with a headache just in time to go into the office and write a report.

I have promised myself one exciting trip. One day I will take my car and drive 250 miles or so to Chalon-sur-Saone and see the Kodak factory before it disappears. And then I will go to one of the greatest restaurants in France. It will either be Troisgros in Roanne or Michel Bras in Lagouiole or both, haven't decided yet. I will splurge out. This is Art.

The attached image is a photo I did in the computer suite in London on my Fuji F10. The original is sharp enough to be able to read all the serial numbers and part numbers. We were missing a piece of equipment on the London site. We realised when we compared what we found with what I had photographed in Brussels that we actually had all the equipment and we could do the installation.

Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails travel this year?-3913-06.jpg  

Hey Hodgy,

Great shot!

I was wondering what your lighting was for this one. Off camera flash with a gel?

Always good to see you around!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information