ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: How would you use the Travel Forum? (please vote more than once)

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would VISIT a Travel Forum as much as I do my current favorite.

9 29.03%
  • I would visit it often, but not as much as my current favorite.

7 22.58%
  • I would visit seldom compared to others.

6 19.35%
  • I would rarely visit.

7 22.58%
  • I would often POST in a Travel Forum.

3 9.68%
  • I would occassionally post in a travel forum.

7 22.58%
  • I would seldom post.

1 3.23%
  • I would rarely post.

6 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Forum

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Travel Forum

Hello all

I have been batting the idea of a Travel Forum around for a while. Finally last week I shot the idea to PJ. We decided it wouldn't be prudent to generate another forum if it was going to dry up after the initial enthusiasm wore off. So I realized the best thing to do is to ask the community:

Would you visit a Travel Forum?

The goals of the Travel forum would be 4-fold: to provide Travel stories; Travel photos; Travel discussion; and Travel Guides.

Travel Stories would be any written account of a trip taken by a member. It could be as long and detailed as a travelogue, or as short and poignant as a poem. This forum would be a creative outlet for those inclined to write about their travel stories.

Travel Photography: this should be a no-brainer I'm sure we could fill a forum just with the pictures we've all already taken!

Travel Discussion: Where should we go for our vacation? Does anyone know a good Thai restaurant in Denver? Where would you ski: Aspen or Tahoe? Sunny Spain or British Columbia? Which countries are most friendly to Americans? Laotians? Travel concerns with photography gear? What about X-raying memory cards or film? Airline recommendations. Paris vs. London. The possibilities for discussion go on and on

Travel Guides would also be an integral part of the Travel Forum. Going to Brazil? Stop by the Travel Forum for discussion, restaurant guides, cultural info, and of course photography. Going to Kentucky? Look here for the same The more members we have posting, the more corners of the globe we will have covered. The denizens of pr.com come from nearly every continent and nearly every state. If everyone posted a "Photo-Guide" for the town they live in alone, it would make the Travel Forum an invaluable place to shop!

I have sequestered the help of another pr member to co-moderate the forum with me. He really articulated well the Travel Guides forum goal better than I had. I'll let him introduce himself if he wishes

I would love to leave the idea of "travel" as open as we can get it. For me right now, travel means bumping around in the southwestern United States in a 4x4 pickup. For others, it may mean jetsetting to Honolulu every weekend. For others it may mean the one family vacation they can afford each year. And for others yet, it may mean a return home to see family and friends that have not been met for years. I am open to all of those interpretations. And many more

Remember, this forum HAS NOT BEEN CREATED and is not going to be created if there is not enough interest to warrant another forum. So please, take a look at the poll above and post honestly. Please think about how often you would ACTUALLY use the forum, not how excited you are about it now. Longevity is the key here Please vote ONCE for how often you would VISIT, and again for how often you would POST. Compared to how you use the current pr.com forums.

Okay! Enough blab! I hope to hear from most of you! If you don't yet think of yourself as a "travel photographer" I invite you to take a second look

Vote on!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Travel Forum

I'd be a big fan of it. We do have a lot of forums here and some confusion where new posts can go, and a new post could possibly fit into one of three or four existing forums. Because of that I see why we wouldn't want to add another one, but this one would be different.

Sometimes more specific questions (like good Thai food in Denver ) could get buried quickly in Viewfinder. I wish I could travel more than I do but I'm stuck in an office most of the time... Vacation time is sacred to me so I don't want to waste any of it! This forum might help me (and others) looking to get the most out of their time - plus it would be a good place to share the trip once you get back.

I think it's a great idea, but...

Hi Rick,

I would use it often -- especially because I'm on an extended trip at the moment.

But, to me PR.com doesn't get much traffic. My worry is that adding another forum would dilute what traffic we have. But then again, it may increase traffic because new users are attracted to our well-rounded set of forums. I believe most other boards have travel related topics.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Those are nice points Steve. The Thai food in Denver question might not even get asked in the Viewfinder. But a travel forum might draw such a question out to begin with.

And yes, there could definitely be a lot of overlap between the forums. Trip pictures are always fun to post in Viewfinder, because that's where everyone IS. But hopefully the travel forum would draw out the extended tale of the trip, receiving travel stories and recommendations as well as pictures.

It looks like the poll is saying that most people would visit fairly often, and post somewhat less regularly. We'll see how the results shape up over time

Thanks
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Re: I think it's a great idea, but...

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hi Rick,

I would use it often -- especially because I'm on an extended trip at the moment.

But, to me PR.com doesn't get much traffic. My worry is that adding another forum would dilute what traffic we have. But then again, it may increase traffic because new users are attracted to our well-rounded set of forums. I believe most other boards have travel related topics.

BR,
    Tim
    Thanks Tim. I had the same thought as you when I was putting this together: I don't want to dilute the other forums! I would hate to draw traffic from the other forums. But in thinking about it and in looking at the poll results, I think most people are going to post only occassionally - of course, presumably after they travel That would make it a sporadic forum, but one in which people would keep in mind while travelling.

My greatest concern is that people will only visit when they have something to post. I think a forum needs more attention than that to survive.

I appreciate the support. Maybe this idea will help drum up more travel photography and stories even if the forum doesn't get made!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    And yes, there could definitely be a lot of overlap between the forums. Trip pictures are always fun to post in Viewfinder, because that's where everyone IS. But hopefully the travel forum would draw out the extended tale of the trip, receiving travel stories and recommendations as well as pictures.
    I guess I agree with what you say about posting them in Viewfinder. That's the living room or bar room where we're sitting around and telling each other what we've been up to and sharing what's important in our lives so trips we've been on would be natural there.
    I guess there could be a seperate nook for the discussion of travel photography particulars perhaps going more in depth but I also think that the interest is universal enough that they could be handled in Viewfinder - Help - and the various equipment forums.

Once there is a seperate forum made for something, the tendency seems to be to relegate pics of that type to the more limited audience. I've posted shots on the Nature forum that I probably really would have rather posted on the wider venue of Viewfinder. I know the decision is mine and I wouldn't have been castigated for doing it, but I guess I feel compelled to put it in the 'right' slot.
    ----------------------------

Hey Rick,

As an avid traveler, this is the forum that I would visit and contribute the most. People should have a safe place to find travel information about next door or across the world.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Liz

Thumbs up Re: Travel Forum

How about a 3rd alternative - a friend of mine always says when there are 2 choices - yes & no, question if there is a 3rd alternative. What about having another forum that would change periodically. That way, you're not setting up a "forever forum" when there is a question about how long it would last. But when the crowd thins out, choose another great and worthy temporary topic.

For instance:
    Travel Forum
    Mountain Biking Images Forum
    Photography for Dummies Forum

I have to go to a meeting - and had no time to think about other popular topics, but you get the gist.

Choose popular topics that take up a lot of space in other forums, but not popular enough to make another forum.

Just a thought. I put my vote in.

Great idea, Rick.........

;)

Liz

I think Liz and I have a similar idea. The way you've asked the question, I think you've set yourself up for a positive answer. People will be glad to have any new forum, but you guys need to decide where would be best to focus your efforts. There's probably a lot interest in a Travel forum, but maybe a better way to do this poll would be to suggest several different options for new forums to see which one got the most interest. (I apoligize if you've already done that and I overlooked it.) People Photography is one alternative that comes to mind.

Just my two cents. All in all, this site rocks and a Travel forum would only make it better.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    For instance:
    Travel Forum
    Mountain Biking Images Forum
    Photography for Dummies Forum
    Pet pictures Forum

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

How dare you think of posting outside my forum ... wink wink.

Honestly, why not post them in both forums then .

As for travel, it seems like a good IDEA, but I think this site has enough forums ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Pentax Forum Moderator

I like the idea of a new forum. I've had several ideas for different forums as well and each time I do, I think of John saying...but will people use it or would it be a waste of resources that could go into other things. As for a travel forum, I actually think it would be a great idea. I don't travel much, and when I do, it's usually not to an exciting location. Of course, I grew up in these areas and they are rather boring to me and I would probably be hesitant to post most of my shots. But I would visit the site just to see other places that I am not able to travel to myself. I think, this could actually become one of the more popular and populated forums on our site.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Too much overlap...

Yeah, in a perfect world it'd be nice to have a seperate Travel Forum. Unfortunately, the way things are, I think it would overlap a great deal with what already exists here.

And as many of you know, some of the boutique forums are on thin ice as it is.

IMO, travel threads and photos in a seperate forum would mean less participation in the Art, Nature, and OT Forums, and to a lesser extent Viewfinder and Critique.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

There have been some great comments here.

Let's remember that the default is "No new forums!" There has to really be a strong reason to create a new one. And at this point I don't know if there's enough interest to warrant it.

Let's also reiterate that this is not about "what new forum should we make," but particularly if there is enough interest to warrant a forum specifically for travel. If someone else would like to see another forum created, I encourage you to go to PJ first, and ask if he thinks it could fly.

It sounds like there is a lot of interest among several individuals out there! The main concern among the replies seems to be; 1) Is it going to pull traffic from the other forums too much, and 2) Is there another forum we could create that would be more popular. And I'm wondering if I'm not opening a can of worms for the petitioning of the creation of several new forums

Let's remember that even if the Travel Forum doesn't fly, we can still up the travel content in Viewfinder, and Nature & Wildlife. But it wouldn't serve the same purpose as a travel forum for creating a database of travel images and related content.

I'll check in again tonight with a more specific response. The replies here have been outstanding! Looking forward to reading some more.
    Walter Rick Long

I have a hard enough time trying to navigate the few forums I do go into. I know personally I would probably look at the different pictures in the travel forum, and possibly look at the reviews of places, but I don't think I would ever fomrally post anything there. I don't travel enough as it is (poor college student). When I do travel its hardly anything really exciting. I like the idea of a revolving forum, but who is to say when discussions have died down? I would like to see a forum for us fim users, but I know myself I won't be in fiilm that much longer. I would also like to see a wet darkroom forum, but people with those skills are incresing becoming more and more hard to find.

Sorry for the rant-Zack
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

I think it should be done. Build it and they will come.

If I were planning to travel somehwere maybe I would post that I'm going to a location. I would hope those who have been there or currently live there can give advice.

We come from many different places and we all can offer something to say about where we are.

MAYBE INSTEAD OF TRAVEL WE CAN CALL IT "LOCATIONS".

For example, I would like to take plan a a visit to the UCLA Japanese gardens. Maybe I can start a thread on that. But I wouldn't do this under TRAVEL since my plan is to go somewhere local.

A forum to encompass any LOCATION and not the activity of TRAVELING might be best.

Calling it LOCATIONS is broad enough that someone going to PARIS or the local ZOO might feel free to start a thread on it and post photos or ask questions.

DO IT! DO IT!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Pet pictures Forum
    My apalogies to all you who post pet pictures, but this is one forum I would opt-out on |:^!]

[don't hate me!],
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Something occured to me last night as I was thinking about this:

If PJ were to create my travel forum, to be FAIR he would have to create everyone else's forums as well. Suddenly we would have six new forums instead of one! There would be no reasonable way to discern which forums get created, and which ones don't.

And invariably, there would be grumpy feelings over whose forum didn't get created. I can just see it now: "He got his travel forum, why can't I have my african nocturnal book forum?!" I think the only diplomatic thing to do here is pull the plug

Maybe when pr has enough traffic to support all the forums we DO have, we can start adding more. But I think the thing to do here is let it go, and let people post their travel content elsewhere. That keeps the traffic up in all the other forums too.

Thanks to those who supported the idea and those who voted.

I hope that this thread has stirred some ideas. Let's see some more travel threads up here! Or in Nature and Wildlife, if Paul would allow it ;) This poll has shown there is obviously a market for travel-related info. Let's see it! I am working on a travelogue from a trip took a few months ago. I will post it here - with pictures - when I finish it and maybe that will help spark some more travel threads.

Thanks for the responses! Sorry PJ, if I increased the stress in your life these past few days
    Be good!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long

My apalogies to all you who post pet pictures, but this is one forum I would opt-out on |:^!]

[don't hate me!],
    Tim
    Ed Zachary, Tim. I was thinking it would be one that I wouldn't be visiting.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I am definately willing to STICK a thread in my forum for EVER if it is even vaguely related to nature . I am not like you sticky mongers over hear, I only have one or 2 at a time ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

What do you guys think? Viewfinder or Nature forum for travel threads?

I'd probably go with Viewfinder, but post a similar thread with more nature shots in the N&W.
    Walter Rick Long

The problem...

I'd probably go with Viewfinder, but post a similar thread with more nature shots in the N&W.
    Hey, let's not forget the Art Forum, guys...

I think the problem, from my point of view, is that I have never considered TRAVEL a photographic subject, except for maybe amateurs or consumers. I mean, that's like calling "home movies" a film genre.

You travel to a place only in the context of taking photos there, and then your "real" subjects are the same as they would be anywhere: landscape, cityscape, portraits, nature, fashion, etc., etc., etc.

Sorry, but when I hear the term "travel" applied to photography, I can't help but think of pictures tourists take on vacation...

For example, is National Geographic a magazine of TRAVEL images. Certainly not. Travel only becomes a factor because most of us don't live in the exotic locales they often show.

And so I don't think that kind of forum here would have enough of a distinct connection to photography to justify it. If anything, placing the emphasis on the travel aspect would take away from the actual subjects of the photos, which IMO, is where it belongs.

BTW, all due respect, Loren. I know you have a Travel gallery on your site, and trust me, it's got some wonderful images in it. I think this is simply a question of semantics.

To me, calling them "travel" photos is a big misnomer. Rather, I see them as beautiful photos taken at some splendid spots around the world.

Of course, the exception are photos ABOUT traveling, but seriously, do you really think we have enough of that here to justify a seperate forum?

Now, if the intent of this new forum is to share travel INFORMATION, then again, I think we already have many many great travel web sites that do a much better job than a small specialty forum here could ever do.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/ comes to mind...

Any other questions concerning "photography while traveling" topics could easily be handled in either the Help or VF forums.

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Blog!!!

I read Asylum Stevie's comments and quite agree.

My challenge for this extended trip that I am currently on -- is to document and share my experiences. I do it better with pictures (thus, mistily snap-shots). I wanted to have a place where friends can check in to see how things are going. Thus, I chose to do this with a BLOG.

I have posted some of my BLOG shots here, but maintaining a story line in two places takes work. Sigh.... If only I didn't have a job.

However, counter to AS's comments, I find searching on sites such as pbase.com is a good way to get an idea of what a place might look like. Or, better yet... to see how others have shot the same subjects that I am working on. But, these are more a Travel Gallery Subject than a Travel Forum.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Re: Blog!!!

I read Asylum Stevie's comments and quite agree...
    Thanks. I'm having some trouble trying to organize my thoughts on this, because the last thing I want to do is sound like a snob.

Obviously, if anyone's seen my web site and/or work, they should know I not only love to travel (and shoot when I do), but I love talking about traveling, sharing experiences and helping others deal with the myriad of problems and challenges that pop up when you do travel as a photographer.

And I have no problem with documenting a trip with pictures. I certainly take my share of "snaps" when I travel, and yes, enjoy sharing those too.

I wasn't implying that "travel photos" are for beginners or amateurs or "less serious" photographers, because that's not what I meant. I just have a problem labeling artistic, creative photographs as "travel" photos, simply because one traveled somewhere to get them...

What's funny is that after thinking it over, perhaps a Travel Forum wouldn't be such a bad idea after all, as it is a topic that many members here share on many different levels, regardless of what you want to call the photos.

I do still believe, though, that it would take a way from some of the other forums, and am not sure that would be a good thing...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Blog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Thanks. I'm having some trouble trying to organize my thoughts on this, because the last thing I want to do is sound like a snob.
    I'm picking up what you're putting down, Steve. I was trying to figure out a way to say pretty much the same thing you said, but I gave up.

Photography is photography, whether your at home or traveling. Since we have so many fine forums for different photographic techniques, I'd think most threads in a Travel forum would involve discussions of where to go, what to do there, what hotels to stay in, etc. There's nothing wrong with that. I would probably participate myself, but it is kind of off-topic.

Now I'm up to 4 cents.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information