ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness

So we had a couple storms this week, the last of which left lots of great snow on the trees. Unfortunately, I hadn't had a chance to get out and shoot it. It's supposed to be in the 50's this weekend and I wanted to get out before the snow melted so I took the day off. Spent about 3 hours running through almost knee deep snow in the middle of the woods. It was GREAT Shot 3 rolls and here's what I came up with...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-2.jpg   Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-3.jpg   Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-4.jpg   Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-12.jpg   Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-13.jpg  

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness

A few more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-17-2.jpg   Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-23.jpg   Took A Day Off For Winter Goodness-01042008-29.jpg  
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

You keep raising the bar Aaron. The tones are very good here. Nice work and worth the hike.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg A little too much midtone in some unfortunately but, still salvageable. I was afraid that with the harsh midday sun in some shots that I would be facing blow out so I only did half of my normal agitation. Oh well, live and learn
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

This shots are great. Are you a professional photographer?...Good job!
    I've taken every step in my life with appreciation that i may never pass this way again. Document memories with a camera on hand

Aaron,

You beat me to it - I was about to comment on not enough contrast in some of the shots. However, the composition is lovely and makes me pine for the snow and some winter sports.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by open_shutters
    This shots are great. Are you a professional photographer?...Good job!
    LOL... I WISH! Maybe someday, who knows. Thank you though, that made my day

Come on over and play in the snow Roger It's good fun. I wish I would have judged the the developing correctly but, **** happens. I should be able to compensate with some high contrast paper.

As an interesting addition, I forgot to post that there is a story behind this area. The first is a place called Indian's Last Leap. Here's the story behind it from another site I found:

Resultant from a raid by the Indians on a wedding party of one Plaisted at Wells, in which Chief Wivurna was killed. The feud was carried to the third generation. Plaisted's grandson, son of Roger Spencer, had built his home near the banks of the Meguncock (now Mousam) River near Butler's Corner. One day he was surprised while across the the river by a band of Indians lead by Chief Nahanda, who gave chase. Young Spencer sped toward home, coming to the river where it dashes between two gigantic boulders twenty feet apart. With a mighty effort Spencer leaped into space and landed on the far side. Chief Nahanda, who was close behind, was not so fortunate, as his leap was a trifle short and his head dashed across the cliff, he fell onto the rushing waters and was killed thus earning for the spot the name of "Indian's Last Leap."
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

My favorites are the last two of the first group, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Aaron your progress since your first post here at PR are exceptional. I admire your determination to improve your photography and your willingness to get out there and get the image. Beautiful work, snow is not easy to master.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thank you very much OT The credit for my progress goes to the good folks here at PR. This site is truly a priceless learning tool :thumbsup: The heavy tree canopy saved me on the snow. Otherwise the bright mid day sun would have blown everything out
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Come on over and play in the snow Roger It's good fun. I wish I would have judged the the developing correctly but, **** happens. I should be able to compensate with some high contrast paper.
    What a lovely story - I wonder whether that is where "Roger the Dodger" came from

Trying to decide whether to come over for Skiing or go to Prague with the Boss for a holiday in Feb. I have always wanted to visit Prague, but I also want to go skiing but haven't enough holidays left this year for both. Can't wait to retire.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Oooo, that is a tough choice. For me it would depend on where you want to go skiing. If you were looking at the Rockies, as much as I'd love to see Prague, I've always wanted to see the Rocky mountains. Will be some fun traveling and great picture taking whichever way you ed up going though :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Great winter photos. If the negatives are very think just put the negative on your scanner (with out the film back light) and place a sheet of white paper on top of the negative and scan it. It will not work with normal density negatives only the ones that are very thin!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thanks freygr I have tried messing around with scanning in different ways with this scanner but, none seem to work as well as just using the film holders. Hopefully I won't be sacnning film much longer though... Hopefully it will be finished prints
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information