ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Is there anything else wrong with this forum?

After reading some of the flaming posts in the "Digital Cameras - General" forum, I was just wondering if anyone besides me, looks at the public profile of a new member to see how much he/she is willing to share, and then take that into account when deciding whether or not I care to reply. I only ask because, when I first joined, I thought I would get a couple of questions anwered and then never come back, so I didn't post much personal info, and for a while, I thought I was getting little feedback. Eventually, I found I liked participating in the forum and I loosened up--a little, anyway--and my meager photography has been all the better for it.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Re: Is there anything else wrong with this forum?

On occasion I look at a profile, but that doesn't always play into whether I respond or not.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I rarely look at the profiles, and never use them as a basis for responding, unless the question points me to their profile as part of the question.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Same here - I rarely look at profiles and it hasn't had an affect on whether or not I've replied. How much information someone lists in their profile doesn't matter to me.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Only occasionally. Usually when something has caught my attention in their posts.
    I think we can get a pretty good idea about how serious a person is about photography by their questions. Now excuse me while I go look at the profile of a rocket scientist.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I do check profiles occasionally but, not to determine whether or not I will answer. I check them only if something they post is questionable like spam. Whether or not I reply depends on whether or not I think I have anything to offer that will be of assistance and help the person out.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

It depends some times I look at the profile, and if I feel that I can add something most of the time I will.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

As the guy in charge of the site, my perspective is a little different. I want everyone who comes here and posts to get the help they need. It's my hope that if people find what they need here, they'll stick around and become active, participating members of the site. The reality is, a lot of people will just stop by post a question, and move on. Even more will visit the site, look around, and leave without even posting. And then there are all the lurkers who never participate but visit the site regularly. The trick is to convert as many of our visitors into participants. And pre-judging people isn't going to help with that. Giving them the benefit of the doubt and trying to make sure everyone gets what they need is the best strategy. Plus, even if someone doesn't have any intention of sticking around, maybe my reply will be of use to someone else or spark an interesting discussion. The bottom line is that every post is valuable. Every time one of us takes the time to post a thoughtful, informative reply, it's a good addition to the site.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The bottom line is that every post is valuable. Every time one of us takes the time to post a thoughtful, informative reply, it's a good addition to the site.
    Absolutely. I have gone back to look at old threads and had my own questions answered. I think that a lot of people don't realize that what may seem an esoteric question to one person could be something that other people are looking for.

To the lurkers - we don't bite (often). This site is very friendly to new members and beginners questions. Feel free to join in!

Whether or not I reply depends mostly on what kind of mood I'm in, if the person is getting help already, and if I think I have something to offer. I occasionally look at profiles to get a feeling for who is asking the question, but only so I can do a better job of answering it. A lot of times people (beginners, especially) are kind of vague with their questions, so I'll check to see what kind of photography they're interested in or what kind of equipment they're using, if it's relevant.

Paul

Like my teacher always said, "There are no dumb questions"
    He usually said that after I asked a question too... :skep:

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I sometimes check the profile to see where the person lives, that's about it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I sort of discovered a problem this morning when on a whim, I went to the Welcome thread. A lot of people introduce themselves there and get no response. Some don't mind but some are wondering if any one noticed they were here and if you are like me you didn't unless they posted something. I don't know the solution...maybe an official greeter needs to be given a job?
    Keep Shooting!

I rarely base whether or not I reply on the users profile. Instead I mostly only reply if I think I have something to say that might help, or a posted image piques my interest. That includes critique, comments, etc.
    FWIW, I tend to read more than comment, but there are exceptions.
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by hollis
    Like my teacher always said, "There are no dumb questions"
    He usually said that after I asked a question too... :skep:
    Yes. That's one of the guiding principles for these forums. We're don't need to be a group of self-important know-it-alls. There are other sites for that

The PhotographyREVIEW.com forums are about all-inclusiveness. Everyone is welcome and all questions are equally important. Well - except Hollis's. There are limits to everything
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Yes. That's one of the guiding principles for these forums. We're don't need to be a group of self-important know-it-alls. There are other sites for that

The PhotographyREVIEW.com forums are about all-inclusiveness. Everyone is welcome and all questions are equally important. Well - except Hollis's. There are limits to everything
    The problem is that there really ARE dumb questions! Not dumb because the person doesn't know the answer, but dumb as in someone who gets angry and insulting if he doesn't like the answer (or no answer) he gets.

The guy who started this nonsense ignored the first answer, a reasonable answer. He then battled with me when I tried to explain that (a) it was the holidays and (b) he could do some homework on his own. He felt he was entitled and we were his slaves.

He continued with his arrogant and childish insults after this. To me, that adds up to a dumb question with a dumb writer. People who don't go ballistic get the answers they seek regardless of their photographic level. The rare idiots who go off the deep end should be hung, strung, and quartered... at least in PhotoShop.

Sorry if people get upset by this, but that is how I really feel.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

I really dont look at profiles either. I have been on "forums" for a while now. All different kinds. I have found.. the best way to get "into" the forum is to jump on and start posting straight away. Give my introduction and tell the "old" members about myself and then ask my questions or share what I have to share that is forum related. I've found that "old" members seem to be more open to "new" members when they jump right into the action on the forum.

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hi Frog,

Thanks for bringing this point up. I brought it up in the Moderators Forum for further consideration. Thank you!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Wow, I think I need to go look if I even have a profile. lol I rarely if ever look at them.

I'm full of dumb questions. They are always answered. Everyone her is kind and/or tolerant.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Actually, this is the best photo site on the web..I have been a member of a couple of others and lurked at some, but the group of people here are quite special...This is a forum where I have not seen a single adhomien attack...rare for today...
    I actually got banned from the popphoto forum...They said my religious views were offensive to the members there and I refused to change my signature which is the same one I use here....

This forum also has many active members...The other forum has many members but is run by a handful of them...and it is there way or the highway...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

I like it here, I sometimes feel I don't have enough knowledge to answer a lot of the inquiries, by reading the posts I do have the knowledge of some folks problems and learn from them.
    I do look at another site that is inclusive to one brand, and it's a freeway as far as posts go.
    I usually look to see where someone is from not the whole profile.
    Jimmy B

I've suggested this sight to a few friends that I know from communities. They haven't signed in yet as other forums have scared them off, but I'm still working on them.

Your welcome, Rick. I know I seldom look at the welcome sticky and it probably would be nicer if I did but I usually only intereact with those who have posted in the other threads. Maybe its cuz I still think of myself as a newbie.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    The problem is that there really ARE dumb questions! Not dumb because the person doesn't know the answer, but dumb as in someone who gets angry and insulting if he doesn't like the answer (or no answer) he gets.

The guy who started this nonsense ignored the first answer, a reasonable answer. He then battled with me when I tried to explain that (a) it was the holidays and (b) he could do some homework on his own. He felt he was entitled and we were his slaves.

He continued with his arrogant and childish insults after this. To me, that adds up to a dumb question with a dumb writer. People who don't go ballistic get the answers they seek regardless of their photographic level. The rare idiots who go off the deep end should be hung, strung, and quartered... at least in PhotoShop.

Sorry if people get upset by this, but that is how I really feel.
    Jest don't let them get under you skin. Jest do not reply. If they don't get it and they keep doing ID 10 T errors maybe the deserve the "SIGN" or BLOOD jokes apply to them

PS I hope I did offend anyone
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information