ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Just sayin' Hi!

Just sayin' Hi!

Just checking in...new to forums, and digital (waiting for Nikon D-50...scheduled delivery tomorrow!!!). I'm sure I'll have questions for you all. Purchase was prompted, finally, by impending trip to Oshkosh, Wi. for mother of all airshows! Can't wait, but a little concerned as I will have only a couple of days to "play" with new equipment before departure. Thinking of taking "old standby" film Nikon along for backup... Anyway..this seems a great site...I'm looking forward to diving into digital!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Just sayin' Hi!

Welcome to the Forums Kasey. Although I have lived in WI my entire life, I have never been to the Oshkosh Air Show. I've been past it a few times, but never during the show. Hope you have a great time and we're looking forward to seeing some pics with your new camera! Feel free to ask away with your questions. There is a help forum as well as a Nikon equipment forum here so I'm sure you will find the answers and advice your looking for.

Are you from WI or just visiting for the air show?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Just sayin' Hi!

Hi mjs1973,
    Close....but alas, a Vikings fan from Minnesota, so just visiting. Future son-in-law is from near Milwaulkee, and is acting as host for airshow...He's a pilot, and has been going to Oshkosh since literaly a "babe in arms"... Will be camping out on the flight line, so looking forward to some good photo ops...

Liz

Welcome!

Welcome to PR!

I don't know much about Nikons as I have Canon equipment. However, the Canon Rebel 350Xt would be comparable to the D50 as far as I know.

My suggestion would be to first read the little "quick" manual (forgot what they call it) that you should have to let you get started. A good thing to remember is that you can put the camera on "auto" and it is very similar to a film SLR and/or P&S. Nothing too complicated. I would practice on auto for a little while just to get used to the feel and where all the buttons are. Then move on from there. Spend some time reading your manual, especially aperture/shutter priority, etc.....

You'll do fine - the great part is that you can delete whatever you're not happy with. That's a great money saver that you can't do with film.

Enjoy! And come back to ask any questions - you can use the Help forum - or Nikon forum for questions also.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey48
    Just checking in...new to forums, and digital (waiting for Nikon D-50...scheduled delivery tomorrow!!!). I'm sure I'll have questions for you all. Purchase was prompted, finally, by impending trip to Oshkosh, Wi. for mother of all airshows! Can't wait, but a little concerned as I will have only a couple of days to "play" with new equipment before departure. Thinking of taking "old standby" film Nikon along for backup... Anyway..this seems a great site...I'm looking forward to diving into digital!

Thread Information