ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: first DSLR

first DSLR

I took the plunge!

I ordered my first SLR today! I got a Canon Rebel XS 2 lens kit (17-55 IS and 70-300), 8GB sdhc card, polarizer filter, extra battery, and a lowepro bag.

I've already got a wish list of add-ons for it, so here's hoping I learn enough to justify more lenses.

I'm really interested in wildlife photography, and working on a master's degree in wildlife biology, I hope I can get some cool shots.

Re: first DSLR

Congrats! :thumbsup:

From the equipment you listed you should be able to get some very cool shots.

All one really needs is practice/experience and then you can get cool shots even with a a 25yr-old MF-only lens.

I currently use a Nikon Coolpix L6, and it's capable of some really good shots, but it takes soooo long to change settings on the menus that I frequently miss shots. It has some manual functions, but really only WB and exposure. No shutter speed, ISO, and the AF is too slow for some cases. It's a great camera to bring on backpacking or mountain biking trips.

I keep seeing great results in the 50mm lens thread, so one of those may be my next purchase.

I've had my Rebel XS for about a month. LOVE IT. Easy learning curve and many advanced features. Takes great photos. I've posted several in the critique forum.

Thread Information