ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 Lens

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks EOS, but that link takes me to a different lens. B&H has the lens in stock according to thier site, I need to know where to find the $$$.
    MJS, get a tin cup, some pencils, shades and a white cane then, go sit on a corner where it is busy.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

hey PJ, i thought I would bring this up just to ask about the AF system of the lens. I'm considering getting one because I don't really have a WA lens except my 16mm fisheye, and I'm looking at this. But one thing that's important to me is the AF. You said it has been reliable, but do you have any comments on it versus canon's USM drive. The 24-70 siggy I have is fairly unpredictable AF and it's LOUD. You can hear all the motors spinning. Is it a fairly quiet lens? Thanks.

It is quiet and I haven't had it let me down as far as focus goes. I expected to be making a focus compromise when I bought it. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Plus, focus isn't as big of an issue with a wide angle lens. I'd be more concerned if it was a long lens. Then I might expect to see some performance differences. The only issue I've had is that I do miss the extra 2mm of view that the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens has. But I can live without it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb380
    MJS, get a tin cup, some pencils, shades and a white cane then, go sit on a corner where it is busy.
    Just don't bring the camera. Might be a bit of a tip-off to your potential contributors...

Cool Re: Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 Lens

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. You could get one of those russian spy cameras, the ones which look like a pack of cigarettes.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I was able to give this lens a pretty good work out over the last couple of weeks, and I'm pretty happy with it. The AF system seems really slow tho. Not sure if that would change on a different body or not, but I found it a little dissapointing, but something I can live with.

I didn't even look at the Sigma lens when I made this purchase, and at the time, I wish that I had. I think the extra 2mm would have been pretty nice. But then I had to deal with Sigma's customer service when I sent in a different lens for repair. That experience made me very happy that I didn't get the Sigma lens. What a nightmare of dealing with people who don't have a clue what's going on with your gear once you send it in...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information