ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Tipp City

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Tipp City

This past week I was on a bit of a road trip down through the states, my first stop was in Tipp City, OH.

Tippecanoe City was founded in 1840 along the developing Miami and Erie Canal. Its name derives from Presidential candidate William Henry Harrison's nickname, Tippecanoe, which, in turn, was derived from his heroism at the Battle of Tippecanoe, November 7, 1811.

The early city was a popular stopping-off point for boatmen traveling along the Miami and Erie Canal. The original downtown purportedly included a large number of bars and a red light district. The now dry canal locks can be seen just east of downtown. As Tippecanoe City grew, it merged with Hyattsville, a contiguous village, located on present-day Hyatt Street.

Development of the railroads in the 1850s and 1860s put the canals out of business and slowed the city's initially rapid growth. Ruins of a repair shop (yard barn) for the old Inter-Urban rail system can still be seen on the outskirts of town.

The development of U.S. Highway 25 (County Road 25-A) and subsequently Interstate 75 brought construction and vibrance back to the town throughout the 20th century.

Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Liz

Re: Tipp City

Alex,

Great series of very interesting buildings. I enjoyed reading the history of Tipp City - especially since I was raised in Ohio (Massillon). I had no knowledge of this particular city. And sometimes when you live not so far from a place, it is most likely too "common" to notice. I was born in NY - and never saw the Empire State Building until I was an adult.

You did a fine job with the composition - and the series cover enough of a variety that we can get the "picture" of the city.

It was a pleasure viewing this thread. I love a good story (history) that goes along with photos.

Liz

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Tipp City

Thanks Liz! And there's more to come as I stopped in several smallish towns along my route through OH, PA, and NY.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information