ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: A Thread with an Edge

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Thanks for posting this. Jewelry is the hardest thing in the world to shoot.

Can I ask you what kind of class this is? Thanks!

Hey Jeta,

The class I'm taking is called Elements of Photography and Getting the Most from Your Camera. It a pretty basic class that only meets 1 day/week (2 hours) for 3 weeks. It's being offerd at the local university as part of their continuing education program. The instructor is a local pro, and it's the first time he has taught a class like this. I took it more as a refresher, and a way to get to know more local photogs, but I have learned a few things as well.

The instructor asked people what types of things they wanted to learn about, and a couple people mentioned shooting jewelry. That was the reason behind the jewelry demonstration.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the info Michael. I really need to take a class, but the ones I've seen are too basic. There's hope and I plan to keep on looking.

Thanks again!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    the ones I've seen are too basic.

That is how I felt about this class, and it really is too basic for me, but I have still managed to learn something new every class.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

OT - your thread had me thinking for the past few days and since I had a few minutes last night, I thought to give it a try to see if I could learn from the experience.

I used one umbrella and one strobe and played around with different angles. I found that having just the right amount of background separation made a huge difference. Too much separation and it seems a little lifeless. Not enough separation and the background details compete for the eye. In addition, the angle of the metal surfaces is crucial in how you want the reflections and highlights rendered.

The first image is with the umbrella as a diffuser. The second with the umbrella as a reflector. The background in both are the seats of leather sofas. You could have a lot of fun using different backgrounds - polished aluminum, ground steel, polished granite, a mirror...

Have fun with it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Thread with an Edge-knife-1.jpg   A Thread with an Edge-knife-2.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Those are great detail shots Loupey. Combine those with some shots of the entire knife and you got something that's works for me. Love the detail!!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Liz

These look great! I agree - a combination of different angles would be awesome.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    OT - your thread had me thinking for the past few days and since I had a few minutes last night, I thought to give it a try to see if I could learn from the experience.

I used one umbrella and one strobe and played around with different angles. I found that having just the right amount of background separation made a huge difference. Too much separation and it seems a little lifeless. Not enough separation and the background details compete for the eye. In addition, the angle of the metal surfaces is crucial in how you want the reflections and highlights rendered.

The first image is with the umbrella as a diffuser. The second with the umbrella as a reflector. The background in both are the seats of leather sofas. You could have a lot of fun using different backgrounds - polished aluminum, ground steel, polished granite, a mirror...

Have fun with it!

OT, Those knives are beautiful!
    Jimmy

Thanks for taking the time to explore this project with me Loupey. You make some good points. I hope to continue experimenting with this type image over the next few months.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information