ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

There are no words...

No words can describe how I felt when I saw this poor soul painfully making his way up 42nd St.in NYC's Times Square. Contempt is what I felt for those who passed him by laughing at him, snickering, looking down their noses, and making wide swings around him as they made their way to their theaters and restaurants. I needed to photograph him, perhaps as a reminder of how close I came to being just like him several years ago. Painful memory, painful reminder.
    Technically...yeah, I know that his shirt is blown out and it might have been sharper, but that didn't matter to me at the time.
    #1 - collapsed against the steps of the theater housing the hit musical "42nd St.".
    #2 - still on 42nd St, I wanted to catch just the feet of the passersby who deftly avoided him. Both images taken with the Contax G2 & Zeiss 90/2.8 Delta 100
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails There are no words...-nyc482-copy.jpg   There are no words...-nyc505-copy.jpg  

These are great shots - all too common in NYC, unfortunately. I used to think of them as "lost souls" because they always looked lost and souless, wandering to no where.

Wish I could have met up with you - McGreevy passed another increase in the Realty Transfer Tax to increase it a whopping 100% so everyone rushed to close on their houses before June 30th. McGreevy will be making more homeless people if he keeps this up.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Crystal Clear
    Wow that second photo is amazing. It captures the utter despair and desolation of someone "on the street". So close to millions of people daily but always out of reach for societal reasons. Its a powerful picture. Great shot

thanks for the reminder

to be grateful for what we do have. A while back (way back) I did a "school project on the homeless and why it was such an epidemic...my bottom line findings... the "government agencies" in 1995 believed a family of FIVE could easily survive on about $482 a month...and again there isn't sufficient money or spending on programs for individuals with mental health issues...makes you aware that the 'ole stereotype of "laziness" just wasn't/or isn't the reason
    thanks for sharing your heart and a slice of reality and life...take care
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    charles.....................

FIRST..

your images of "homeless" people are amazing! you truely have the gift of being able to catch the "mood"

SECOND.....

This guy doesn't miss too many meal ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Powerful...

Having photographed the homeless in Miami on numerous occasions, I know the feelings that emerge when you're confronted with these kinds of situations...

When I worked as a photojournalist, I had to have street cred, and so spent time with much of what would be considered the "fringe" of society. And in South Florida, when I say fringe, I mean out there...

It was one of the best things that could have happened to me, as it forced me out of my comfort zone, and taught me that most of these people are simply that: real people with feelings. To a person, they all had previous lives where they were much better off, and more impotantly, hopes and dreams of a future life as well.

Sure, their presence often makes us uncomfortable, but I've never felt ignoring them is the answer...

Like you Charles, I too came perilously close to losing my home at one point. Now, I've always had a family as a safety net, but it scared me enough to make me realize that it is something that can happen to almost any of us.

Thanks for sharing...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks, all...

I know that we all have had trials and tribulations in our lives. At one point in my I life lost everything and it very nearly cost me my life. I guess that's why I feel a connection of sorts to the downtrodden and try to show some compassion in the photographs. Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Having photographed the homeless in Miami on numerous occasions, I know the feelings that emerge when you're confronted with these kinds of situations...

When I worked as a photojournalist, I had to have street cred, and so spent time with much of what would be considered the "fringe" of society. And in South Florida, when I say fringe, I mean out there...

It was one of the best things that could have happened to me, as it forced me out of my comfort zone, and taught me that most of these people are simply that: real people with feelings. To a person, they all had previous lives where they were much better off, and more impotantly, hopes and dreams of a future life as well.

Sure, their presence often makes us uncomfortable, but I've never felt ignoring them is the answer...

Like you Charles, I too came perilously close to losing my home at one point. Now, I've always had a family as a safety net, but it scared me enough to make me realize that it is something that can happen to almost any of us.

Thanks for sharing...

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Thank you Charles. I don't really know what else to say - the laughing, etc that you spoke of makes me sick -- I just don't understand people sometimes. These are very powerful images and, again, I thank you for sharing them with us.

I am truly sorry I didn't get to meet you this past week and that I didn't even get a chance to call -- there were some "changes" at work. Good for me, but hectic.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

It has to be said...

When it comes down to it, feeling sorry for someone and snapping his picture hasn't made the slightest difference in this man's life. This is what bothers me about photography of the homeless: it makes photographers feel good without doing anything more substantial than those who avoided him in the first place. This is not a personally-directed observation Charles, just a sad feeling I get whenever I see photographs such as these.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    While I can understand your POV Michael, I have to say that I believe it does make a difference -- perhaps not in the life of the subject, but maybe for someone else. Every photo like this puts one more face to the situation. While the subjects themselves may not benefit directly, photographs such as these certainly help to remind people of the plight of others -- and perhaps they will think twice the next time they are confronted with a similar situation. Now of course you can say that everyone should already be well aware of the homeless situation in our country, but there are many people who have never even been to a large city or a poor rural area, let alone lived in one, and sometimes people need to see to understand.

This is what bothers me about photography of the homeless: it makes photographers feel good without doing anything more substantial than those who avoided him in the first place.
    I can't imagine why you would automatically say that it makes the photographer feel good to take photos such as these. Even if they're taking them for the reason I stated, which I do see as a good cause, I certainly don't think actually taking the picture makes anyone feel good. Unfortunately I have seen people (and I'm sure we all have) who take these photos just because they think they "look cool," but I would have to say that the number of photographers who take them out of genuine concern for what is going on in our world far outnumbers those who are looking for a "cool homeless shot."

I know you weren't directly addressing Charles with this, but I will (please forgive me Charles ). While I'm not sure about this particular man, I know in other instances Charles has commented about the time he has spent chatting with some of his subjects. To me that's made a difference right there. Would money and a home help a lot more? Of course, but being treated as a fellow human being is certainly a start. Steve has also mentioned in this thread the amount of time that he spent interacting with people on the streets while he was a photojournalist. I think for me what's important is the motive behind the shots, and I don't think blanket statements about this type of photography are fair.

Just my two cents of course.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I understand your feelings, Michael, and for me, it certainly does not make me feel good. Rather, I feel that it does more good to get the plight known to as many as possible than it would be if I were just another of the faceless hoard who look, shake their head, sneer, laugh, whatever.

I know your thoughts weren't directed at me personally, but if you look at photojournalism as a whole, this really is no different. Does a photojournalist feel good publishing an image of a limbless child injured in a war zone? I hope not. But, images like that stir the emotions of many who may react in a way that could bring about changes. Others could care less and go about their everyday lives as if images like this aren't real.

Bottom line for me is, if 1 person sees these images and decides to donate $$ or time to a shelter, or work to improve the plight of the homeless, or try to improve the mental health agencies, then posting them was worth it, I did make a difference, and I could care less what others think. Posting images like this, for me, has always been a very personal, painful, yet necessary part of my life. Opinions will vary, and while I respect yours, Michael, I feel that unless one knows the true motives behind taking these kinds of images, rather than sit back and react behind a computer, go out and help make a difference. Thanks.

Thread Information