ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

From Terra Australis.

I like it when it rains here, which isn't that often. I don't have to work when it rains. Can you imagine a sailor not working when it rains because he gets wet? ... well life isn't all bad. The weather here is bad at the moment, it is excellent and the rain is a god send.

Here are some images from when I've travelled to sail boats.

'An Impression of Terra Australis'

Off the Coast of Queensland, beating through Cook's Passage. Some evenings can be very nice when sailing off the coast and made even better by having a well plotted GPS unit.

'The Melbourne Skyline'
    From the Royal Yacht Club of Victoria at Williamstown.

My Skipper and I went to Williamstown near Melbourne at the end of November for a regatta on Port Phillip Bay, to prepare for the coming Flying Fifteen World Championships. We did better than we expected at the regatta, for not knowing the finer points of the wind shifts on the bay. Melbourne is a beautiful city of modern glass and classical buildings. I'm staying in Melbourne over January and hoping to do much architectural photography and street photography.

'Corogoro'
    Corogoro is a New South Wales mid North Coast Aboriginal word for a pregnant woman.
    There is a corogoro on the horizon ... the headland at Arakoon a sacred woman's site. I hope that you can see her.

Taken from the Hat Head sea cliffs. Which are the highest sea cliffs in NSW.

Now an image from my neck of the woods, the Northern uplands of the Australian Alps.

'What? ... No Little Ravens!!!'

The second week into summer when the temp would normally average above 30C ... it is freezing.

The Little Ravens have left the peaks and they are now close to the roads. I'm guessing the Bogong Moths the birds main summer food, haven't moved to the high country yet because it is so cold or the winds have blown the moths out to sea. Every so often the moth numbers are much reduced by bad weather or when the prevailing winds change.

At this time of year, normally, the Little Ravens and Ravens would be congregating on the rocky summits on all the hills and peaks waiting for big juicy moths to start sheltering in the rocks ... but the Little Ravens and Ravens are still eating the road kill or are around town scavenging. I've not ever seen so many Little Ravens and Ravens so close to town at this time of year.

Have you seen the movie 'The Birds'? ... it is most creepy. If you haven't come and visit me. We will not have to drive far.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-11-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Re: From Terra Australis.

Last shot is especially stunning,
    -would like to see some of those ravens,Poe being an ancestor of mine n all...

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Susaan, I'll not sure that I'll be in a position to shoot ravens for a while. I'm back at work tomorrow if the weather clears. If we are not racing the boat tomorrow and the next day, I'll go and see what I can find. I feel like a long walk in the bush.

Two photo-manipulations that I did today.

'Unfolding Landscape'

As time goes on the mistakes caused through falsely attempting to preserve Southeastern Australia's water resources while over allocating water licences just keep unfolding.

Negligently allocated water pumping licences, rising salinity levels through over clearing of the prime forests and open woodlands, inappropriate water storage datum used as the norm for allowing pumping, politicians pandering to city dwellers, and massive die back of mature trees in open woodlands and on grazing lands because of the drought is all happening at the expense of the rivers ... the accumulating problems are now all coming to roost.

'After Cazneaux II'

Still being Cazneauxesque. Influenced by the father of Australian pictorialism, Harold Cazneaux. I like this photo-manipulation because it reminds me of the paint-on photographic emulsions that I played with, when I was a student.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-12-2008 at 10:22 AM.

While I have never experienced the thrill of the darkroom,can appreciate the level of skill involved,and always enjoy your posts.
    -exquisite art calling attention to the plight of your local environment,the treatments fit the mood so well.

Good sailing,or shooting,however the weather turns out !

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa
    Susaan, I'll not sure that I'll be in a position to shoot ravens for a while. I'm back at work tomorrow if the weather clears. If we are not racing the boat tomorrow and the next day, I'll go and see what I can find. I feel like a long walk in the bush.

Warren.
    Warren, I love what you do with your post-processing, really amazing, just wish I could do the same. Ever thought of posting a lesson or 2. Your pictures are really great.

I'm actually headed your way next week with the wife & son, I'll be in Melbourne for a week (Christmas) and then Sydney for 4-5 days for New Year, then off to Singapore for 5 days, so I hope to have at least 1 or 2 excursions in the bush to get some nice shots. I've heard it's been raining around Melbourne non-stop 24 hours with 4 cm in the water basins, nice stuff glad it's raining, but hope for nice weather when we're there. Cheers, S.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

These are really beautiful, in spite of (or because of?) the story behind them.

Susaan, Shootme and Megan, thankyou for your kind words. I'm glad that you like the work. My works are not stand alone images, the story is the reason for the works.

Susaan, the weather remains terrible. The wind here is fierce at the moment ... yesterday it blew the spots of Dalmatian dogs.

Shootme, have a good time in Oz. I'm sure that you will like Melbourne, Melbourne is an excellent city, with first class public transport.

Shootme, if I can give you one tip about Melbourne, if you are not used to tramways that is? Fast moving electric trams with rubber wheels, all silent but deadly. A tip for Sydney, there are 1000 photographs to be taken per kilometre in Sydney.

I'm moving camp to Melbourne over January, I'm very happy to look at photo manipluation when I return home to the Territory in early February.

Talking about the Capital Territory, here is a photo-manipulation that I did this morning. Being a relatively new country, just over 200 years old, there is precious little history.

I travelled through Albury a fortnight ago when returning from Melbourne, and I shot the burnt National Capital sign yesterday. The sign was burnt in a fire storm that raised 450 houses and levelled 150 businesses and two hospitals in my town. We are aproaching the 5th anniversary of the Canberra fire storm, this has prompted the shot ... Albury, well Albury is always a furnace. It was a toss-up between Albury and here in the Territory for the Nation's Capital back at the time of Federation.

'Albury ... Capital City 2'

At the turn of the last century, when the separate British Colonies were united to form the Commonwealth of Australia, it was proposed that the twin cities of Albury and Wodonga on the New South Wales/Victorian border would become the new Capital of Australia.

There was much rivalry between the States, so a neutral zone was formed called The Australian Capital Territory which became the Capital of Australia.

I like the history of the town of Albury on the Murray River. With its Bush Rangering heritage and paddle boats. A monstrously long railway station platform where four different gauges of railway lines terminated (now fixed) and which caused many problems between the states transportation systems and customs houses. The bizarre stories of the exploration of the region blow me away as well.

This image above portrays thoughts of the politicians back then being jealous of each other and totally perochial ... creating a political fire storm.

Maybe, I'd be living in Albury now and sailing on Hume Weir if Albury had have been chosen, rather than living in the now National Capital Territory because my family moved to the Capital when my dad was a Commonwealth public servant.

I'm glad my family didn't move to Albury. Albury is like a furnace in summer ... all of which enhances the colours of the image.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-14-2008 at 01:09 AM.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Thanks for sharing, much appriciated. S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

" ... would like to see some of those ravens, ... "

Susaan, I didn't score the Ravens or Little Ravens, ... do you like Currawongs?

I'm not good at self portraits. I was out of focus and rebuilt myself this afternoon ... but the birds look good.

Warren.

PRB

The birds DO look good and I am always impressed with ALL your photography and the dialog that you include with your pictures.

Thank you so much for sharing your country, your talent and most especially "you!"

My Best to You,
    Penny
    My love for others is NOT conditional on their meeting my standards.

Penny, thankyou. It is my pleasure.

I wish I had spare time to setup landscape shots, rather than just find subjects and scenes, as I do. I have lots of hit and miss occassions especially with the spontaneous portraits.

Warren.

I'd like to echo what Penny said, I always get a twinge of anticipation and excitement when I return to the forum to see you've posted something new, this thread being no exception. I really appreciate you sharing, not just the photos, but the stories, and the odd tidbit of wisdom that comes from your experience. Thanks :thumbsup:

Great images. The final one is definitely my favorite.

Jetrim. Thankyou. A most rewarding comment. Thankyou for your support Mate.

As to the "odd tidbit of wisdom", I don't comment on the work of others very often, but I'm certainly getting my share of tidbits of wisdom from the Members of this forum. I gain as much from other here, as hopefully some might gain from me.

Sprichmal, cool. The real plan is to photograph Ravens and Little Ravens. I've seen some good possible shots in the last two days but have missed them because the birds have been scared off by traffic or by me. I need the right evil symbolism to go with the birds too, not just more stealth from me. Not any old Raven shot will do, you know. Where as any old Currawang shot did do.

Images from The Great Escarpment which parallels The Great Dividing Range. The Great Escarpment is on the coastal side of the ranges and is nearly as long as the Great Dividing Range.

'Never Truly Lost' The Colo Wilderness. The first photo below.

Paddy Pallin, Frank Austin Pallin (1901-1991) one of the pioneers of bush walking in SE Oz, once replied to a question about, when being in untracked country if it intimidated him? He replied, "I'm not ever truly lost." Paddy Pallin was the founder of the Bush Search and Rescue Teams which eventually became the Police Search and Rescue Units here in SE Oz.

In the deep gorge country of the southern Blue Mountains and Western Blue Mountains where I just delight in the labryinths and the fact that I see no one else when I've been doing photography ... the more lost I get, the better. The GPS units have made tricky trecking far too easy, I always carry a GPS. I walk alone. If you saw the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks? ... my GPS unit is called Wilson.

'Kanangra Deep' in the Kanangra Wilderness.

Good wild country ... with the spurs straight out of hell. A good place to get fit.

'Mystery Bay Blues' The coastal side of the wilderness regions of Brogo, Deua, Woila and Wadbilliga.

This is the closest point in Eastern Australia where The Great Dividing Range is nearest the sea and where the The Great Escarpment totally complicates things. This isn't a large wilderness region by North America scales, no Australian wilderness is apart from the Central Desert, but the mountains in the Brogo are so rugged, many areas are still to be explored and if you can do five kilometres as the Raven flies, in a week of walking ... you're a superman or woman. We don't have Crows here in SE Oz only the Ravens. I can't even find a way into the Brogo no matter how often I've tried. I've tried 3 or 4 times. One time I spent 2 weeks in the Brogo and did only 3 kilometres ... 1.5 kilometres in and 1.5 kilometres out.

As you are no doubt noticing not all Oz is flat waterless desert? ... only about 7/8th of the continent is.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Stunning shots of your tramping ground-miss the mountains,now I live by the sea...
    I had no idea how green the country was,you have educated us all-thanks !

Currawongs well I'd not heard of them before,but my husband spent some time in Aus,tells me they have a cry like a babies',and crash thro' the trees,rather than fly..a bit comic ?
    They all look quite intelligent,here,love the shot of you in your element-OK,one of them.

Seems to me your talents with both photography and writing would combine amazingly well in a book,perhaps about the changes you see in the environment,and its impact on the people-forgive me if I've missed a post on this -will look forward to your ravens !

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

PRB

Susaan is right! After reading about your waterfall adventure, I know there is a fascinating book inside you. No doubt you keep a journal of some sort -- please, have it published!
    My love for others is NOT conditional on their meeting my standards.

Penny ... it is all in the immediate doing for me nowadays, that is why I like this site. I have archival boxes at the National Gallery of Australia, where thoughts on art and the technique of photography get drizzled into from time to time and the odd artwork gets put. I've already done a book, a thesis on the conservation of photographs to museum standards. I have vowed not ever to do another book.

Susaan, in my ongoing search for Ravens and Little Ravens, I have found ... nine Intermediate Egrets. This is the first time that I have photographed rainbows in black and white. They sure are strange looking rainbows in black and white ... using a deep yellow filter didn't help. Funny that ...

I'm going shooting Ravens today. Fingers crossed.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-17-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Like a dream,this has my inner Google searching out meanings..and the no. nine has a lot of significance for me...a lesson in moods.
    Thank you ,Warren.

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

'Looming Storm Caves Creek' (Alternative title: 'Time to Bolt').

The grunge texture makes this ancient land look even older.

Warren.

Thread Information