ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

New Printer/Scanner/Copier just came...

...and I thought that I would mention it here in case someone else wants to get the deal I did (which ends March 31).

It's an Epson RX620 from the EspsonStore (get to it from epson.com) and the $299 printer was $149 (free shipping) after mail in rebates. I think it's a discontinued model (RX700 is in their current lineup).

There wasn't a review for it in the review section (yet) but I decided to get it anyway.

It scans film and slides as well as regular text and photos and has a USB input and card reader built in so it can be used as a stand alone photo printer and copier as well as being a scanner and printer controlled from the computer. You can also scan to memory cards or a stand alone USB connected hard drive.

I haven't given it much of a shakedown yet but a quick print using PS and scanning of a slide and some color film seemed to work pretty well. I don't imagine it's up to professional level scanning but it seemed pretty good for a $150 unit.

I'll write a review for it once I get a little more experience with it.
    ----------------------------

Re: New Printer/Scanner/Copier just came...

Wow!! That's what I've been looking at. Hope it works out for you. Please let me know if you think it's going to do the trick. I've got tons of slides and prints i'd like to be able to scan. I don't need something like an Epson 4900, which would be great but to much for me right now. Love to see a scan or two when you get a chance.

PS: I had been looking at the RX700. Didn't know about this deal.
    Last edited by Old Timer; 03-21-2006 at 02:06 PM.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Same here, Chunk. Sounds like it might be a good investment. What size film/slides will it scan? I would love to find out what resolution it will scan them at, too. Will be looking forward to your review.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Chunk,

Sounds like a great deal...getting items right before they discontinue them is a great way to cut costs!

Enjoy the new gear,

Jared

Snail mail a couple slides and I'll scan them. I'm not sure how well my old slides measure up sharpness wise. I just emailed my snailmail addy to you.

Quote Originally Posted by srobb
    Same here, Chunk. Sounds like it might be a good investment. What size film/slides will it scan? I would love to find out what resolution it will scan them at, too. Will be looking forward to your review.
    The film and slides are 35 mm. The resolution in the software goes up to 12800 DPI - that would be 490 MB from a slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    The film and slides are 35 mm. The resolution in the software goes up to 12800 DPI - that would be 490 MB from a slide.

That is friggin' awesome! I would not have thought a scanner for that price would have a resolution that high. Definitely sounds like something I could become very interested in getting. Hmmmmm, my birthday is coming up in about 4 months.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Hey Chunk,

How is this new scanner working out for you? Have you made any prints from scanned film yet? Just wondering as it sounds like a pretty good deal. I have had my eye on the KM Dimage Scan Elite 5400, but at over $500, I'm not sure it's worth it...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

From an email I got yesterday from Epson Australia.

Epson would like to announce that, effective immediately, the Epson STYLUS PHOTO RX510 & Epson STYLUS PHOTO RX700 has been discontinued.

The Epson STYLUS CX5700F multi-function printer – a feature-packed and powerful, yet surprisingly affordable all-in-one printing, copying and faxing solution. It’s the perfect multi-function solution for the home and small office.

Key Features
    • Built-in colour fax functionality
    • Standalone colour and black-and-white photocopy functionality
    • Epson DURABrite Ultra ink for improved print quality and durability
    • Powerful and easy-to-use bundled software
    • Individual Intellidge™ ink cartridges for even greater economy
    • 5760 x 1440 Optimised dpi with Resolution Performance Management Technology
    • Vibrant photos on plain or Genuine Epson specialty papers that last up to 120 years*
    • True BorderFree™ edge-to-edge photo printing and copying on A4, 4” x 6” & 5”x7”
    • Print Directly from memory cards or Pictbridge

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Hey Chunk,

How is this new scanner working out for you? Have you made any prints from scanned film yet? Just wondering as it sounds like a pretty good deal. I have had my eye on the KM Dimage Scan Elite 5400, but at over $500, I'm not sure it's worth it...
    Mike, why don't you send me some negs and I'll do some scans and prints for you. I'll PM my addy to you.
    My impression is that the scans may be a little soft but that might be from my negs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    It's the hardware resolution that counts!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information