ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Stitches

Stitches

When I took this shot yesterday along with some others of the flags put out for Veteran's Day in a nearby cemetary, I was thinking of others who've served through the years and my son who is serving now and took no notice of the physical bits of the flags but just accepted the patriotic symbolism intended by the flags.
    When I opened this file the stitches and individual fabric pieces grabbed me and lead my thoughts to how the diverse parts of this country are held together in a strong whole and how the places where the different parts meet are not so smooth but are really what create the strength of the whole.
    I guess my point in all this babbling is that the inherent abstraction of photography can change how we experience something. Freezing a moment and having time for some introspection may be part of it. Do you folks find that your photos sometimes feel entirely different after you take them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stitches-01.jpg  
    ----------------------------

Re: Stitches

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    When I took this shot yesterday along with some others of the flags put out for Veteran's Day in a nearby cemetary, I was thinking of others who've served through the years and my son who is serving now and took no notice of the physical bits of the flags but just accepted the patriotic symbolism intended by the flags.
    When I opened this file the stitches and individual fabric pieces grabbed me and lead my thoughts to how the diverse parts of this country are held together in a strong whole and how the places where the different parts meet are not so smooth but are really what create the strength of the whole.
    I guess my point in all this babbling is that the inherent abstraction of photography can change how we experience something. Freezing a moment and having time for some introspection may be part of it. Do you folks find that your photos sometimes feel entirely different after you take them?
    Really nice photo. Thanks for sharing your reflections on it. I tend to think about the different shots I take of people and how people can look very different from photo to photo -- even when taken within seconds of one another -- and it makes me think of the different ways we perceive others and others perceive us.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hoo Ahh!

The Flag is a subject I like to photograph and this is good Flag photograph Chunk.
    We live in a GREAT country, even if it isn't perfect.
    My wife says, I am the most patriotic person she knows.

I can't think of a recent photograph that has made me feel differently about it when I looked at, but I am sure I have one.

Thanks for sharring your photograph Chunk!
    God Bless the men and women of the United States military! Especially those in Iraq and Afghanistan!
    Brian
    Hoo Ahh!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Chunk, thanks for sharing this image and your thoughts about it. It's certainly not babbling! As photographers, we try to look at the world a little differently than most people (how many people would have seen what you saw here). It's interesting that you noticed this shot, then when you went back to look at it the meaning was different.

I don't know if I have a photo that's worthy here... Gotta think about this for awhile.

Another wonderful image Chunk! You are on a real roll here lately. I agree wiht you statement. I often read much more into a photgraph when Igo back to edit or review it than I saw when I first clicked the shutter. Sometimes a simple crop or edit of the image can give it a much different or more profound meaning or messge than when it was first taken. Keep up the great post.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Wonderful shot, Chunk. Have to agree totally on your thoughts there. I have found a few times that I looked at a pic differently after I had taken it. And as a vet, I can appreciate those thoughts even more. Keep up the good work.

Thread Information