• 02-22-2009, 02:17 AM
    zen
    3 Attachment(s)
    Still Life: twig, moss, ball of dirt...
    A friend recently told me of a man he knows who is into this thing called dorodango. It's an old playground pastime in Japan, sort of like our mud-pies here in the U.S.
    Except instead of a heaping pile of mud with maybe some oak leaf garnish, you end up with a beautiful glass like shining orb. The only ingredients are dirt and water, and no tools are required to produce them.

I figured I'd give it a go, these are some pics of my first attempt.
    The first was lit by the on camera flash (don't laugh, and go easy on me, I'm still shooting w/ a 4 MP Kodak Easyshare) the second was shot using a shutter speed of 4 seconds, and a flashlight, the third was shot using only available light ( at about half an hour after dusk, so dark that even with the flashlight the camera wouldn't AF,...it was really just photo-roulette) and then posted the begeezus out of.
  • 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
    zen
    Re: Still Life: twig, moss, ball of dirt...
    I guess, maybe, I should have put this in the critique section...?
  • 02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
    I guess, maybe, I should have put this in the critique section...?

You could do that - and maybe get more responses. However, I just saw the images as I've been out quite a bit today.

Now for the comments! I have to say I really like this image. I like the creativity, the subject matter - and especially what you did with a few "elements."

My favorite is No. 2. I think you did well on the composition and the "lighting." The blending color is also nice.

Good job! :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
    zen
    Thanks Liz , that's my fav. also.
  • 02-24-2009, 05:50 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
    Thanks Liz , that's my fav. also.

I would post it in the Critique forum too in view of what you're looking for......I think you will get more comments. :thumbsup:

Liz
  • 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM
    Frog
    The second seems the best to me, also.
    I'd do some rather serious cropping from the left almost to the branch fork.
  • 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM
    Ultra Magnus
    That's awesome. I've been wanting to try it ever since I watched the Mythbusters episode where they were attempting to polish poop.

Nice shots btw, w/ modest equipment.

A little fyi for those not in the know- http://www.dorodango.com/

BM
  • 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
    adina
    love love love the last one!!!

my only comment would be that if you selective focused/blurred in photoshop, feather the edge a little more.

can you explain the mudpie process a little more? I'm a little confused....
  • 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
    adina
    durrr...missed the link posted.
  • 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
    zen
    Thank you Adina,...it was all I could do to Shadow/Highlight some image out of that capture. LOL
  • 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
    opus
    the middle one ends up looking like some ancient native game. Way cool!

I'm very intrigued by the process of making these things. Was it frustrating?