ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Star Trails

Star Trails

Heya all...

Just got back from visiting my grandma in Arkansas. On the way down we stopped and camped a night at the Buffalo National River. We were completely alone in the campground, so I decided to attempt star trails.

Aside from having to stop one picture because there were things moving around us and freaking my mom out and she wanted to turn the flash light on them (turned out there were about five armidillos running around us, couldn't get a picture of them, unfortunately), it went pretty well. This was my second attempt at doing star trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Star Trails-startrails.jpg  

Re: Star Trails

Very nice. I love star trail photos and this is a fine good one. Did you use digital or film? If it was digital, then extra kudos, since they can be tricky on some digital cameras.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Cool shot. This is one item or study that I have never tried. How long are did you leave the shutter open for?
    Andrew Osterberg
    Going Beyond Digital Photography

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I'm a big fan of star trail shots as well. You did a good job on this one. I like how you seem to be able to see the stars through the trees.

If you want, you can learn how to locate the North Star and incorporate it into your shots. That way, all the stars make a circle around the North Star

Good one!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Heya all...

Just got back from visiting my grandma in Arkansas. On the way down we stopped and camped a night at the Buffalo National River. We were completely alone in the campground, so I decided to attempt star trails.

Aside from having to stop one picture because there were things moving around us and freaking my mom out and she wanted to turn the flash light on them (turned out there were about five armidillos running around us, couldn't get a picture of them, unfortunately), it went pretty well. This was my second attempt at doing star trails.
    I agree with the others. This is a nice shot. From how bright some of those stars are, I'm guessing you got part of the Big Dipper in your shot.

So please tell us what gear you used. Camera, lens, film, apeture and shutter speed.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I've got to learn how to do that
    Love how the color shows faintly in the trails.
    Canon T-50
    Canon AE-1
    Canon 50mm F:1.8
    Access P-MC 70~210mm Macro 3.5~4.5
    Soligar Zoom Macro 85~300mm F:5
    Canon Speedlite 188A
    Vivitar Auto Thyristor 2800-D

Thanks everybody I always loved star trail effects. Its too bright in the city to even try to do them, so I only get to play around with it when we're out camping someplace. I tried it for the first time in Rocky Mountain NP last year, and haven't had a change to do it again till now.

I used my digital rebel and a canon ef-s 18-55mm lense. I took the polarizer I normally have on my lense off for it. Apeture was at 3.5 and I had the shutter on bulb and left it open for 15 minutes using the remote trigger. My tripod sucks (cheap little $25 sunbeam that's already falling apart) but worked well enough for this.

We're going to Pictured Rocks in Michigan next week. If the weathers good and there isn't too much light around in the campground, I may try again there and leave the shutter open longer. I also want to try and take a picture of the moon, which I've never done before.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Cara,

I have a star trail shot to post which I took about a month ago. Keep your eyes open, I'll get around to posting it one of these days!

Capturing the moon can be tough. Don't rely on your camera's meter because it will be fooled. The moon is reflecting sunlight so you have to expose for it as if it were a fully-lit, daytime scene. Which means, use the Sunny-16 as a jumping off point, and bracket around that. If it's less than a full moon, you'll need to open up a bit more but never let your shutter speed drop below 1/60 because the moon will blur due to the rotation of the earth!

You can also play with exposing landscapes by moonlight. Under a full moon, set your lens to f4 and expose for 15 minutes at iso 100. The resulting picture will look like daylight

Got all that?! Hope to see your next round of shots!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Nice job Cara. Star trails have always fascinated me but I've never gotten around to trying to capture them.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information