ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

SOUTH BEACH GATHERING: let's have a show of hands...

Well, looks like it's time to get serious about the upcoming South Beach Gathering (February 27-29), and to start to get an idea of exactly who's on board...

So far (besides myself) it looks like we have Penny, Gene, Natalie, Loren, Rick, Dennis, Andrew, and maybe Sebastian (you'd better be there, wimp). Don't worry, this list isn't legally binding, but the sooner you can give me a yeah or nay, the easier it will be to plan things. Obviously, if anyone else is interested, just reply to this post and add your name to the list.

Here's the "penciled-in" schedule so far, which means everything is flexible, changable, and even optional. Of course, if you choose not to do ANY of these things, ain't much point in you coming down, now is there? Still, we'll go with the flow...

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27th - "Asylum Steve's Welcome to South Beach Cookout" at my good friend Jeff's house, which is not actually IN South Beach, but close enough. We'll make it an afternoon start, and folks can drift in whenever...

Plus, he's five minutes from the ocean, so we can catch the great late afternoon light. After that maybe a short stroll to Lincoln Road for drinks and people watching...

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 28th - If you're interested, The Miami Design Preservation League sponsors a 1 1/2 hour guided walking tour of the Art Deco Historic District on Saturday mornings. We'll have lunch (and great photo ops) in Little Havana...

Dinner Saturday night at Smith & Wollensky in South Pointe Park (at the very southern tip of Miami Beach). It's a large, medium priced steak and seafood house with a great view of the ocean, ships (large and small) heading to the Port of Miami, and the downtown Miami skyline.

Saturday evening checking out Ocean Drive (and the 10,000 other tourists who'll be there). Late night is optional, but if there's enough interest, I'm sure we can find a few places to go.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 29th - Again, the morning will be free, but this would be the time for anyone interested in checking out Everglades National Park. It's a good car ride from South Beach, but may be worth it to you for the photo opportunities.

That's about it. I'm going on the assumption that you'll be leaving sometime on Sunday. I'll be in town both before and after the weekend dates, so if your stay is extended as well, I'd be happy to hang out longer and do more things.

BTW, I'll have my car with me, a small station wagon that seats five comfortably (EIGHT uncomfortably). Airport runs shouldn't be a problem, just let me know as soon as possible...

I also had mentioned a fashion shoot originally. I'm not counting it out completely, but I have to say it's very tentative as of now. There's still a chance I can throw something together. If so, it will probably be late Saturday afternoon.. It'd be a big help to know if there really is interest in this.

Anything else? If you still haven't booked a room for the weekend, check out my suggestions on the original Gathering thread: http://forums.consumerreview.com/crf...Ss9.2@.efddf40

If you need help with any of this, or have ANY questions, let me know. BTW, Penny had mentioned a print exchange like the NYC one. Sounds good to me.

It goes without saying that I am EXTREMELY psyched for this Gathering. Besides the chance to meet some of you for the first time, I also get to hang out for a few days in the place I still consider my home. Can't wait!!!
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

IXNAY on the ATALIE-NAY

despite much trying I will not be able to go to south beach. Money is there, time is there and even sitters are available. Unfortunately my husband was not comfortable with my choice of accomodations(long story) and travel plans...

so maybe some other weekend when I can travel with him

would have LOVED to go...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

But we need YOUR CAR!

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    despite much trying I will not be able to go to south beach. Money is there, time is there and even sitters are available. Unfortunately my husband was not comfortable with my choice of accomodations(long story) and travel plans...

so maybe some other weekend when I can travel with him

would have LOVED to go...
    Seriously, that's a big ummer-BAY...

Anyway, remember that all roads lead to Disney World eventually, so if you and hub find yourself over this way, let me know..

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

If my hubby was in charge

of the U.S. highway system he would have design them all to end at Disney-lol

I'm sure we'll meet somewhere down the line...have a great time-be careful with those Bowhays they can get pretty rowdy!!!

especially the blond one (grin)

have fun and post quickly
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Sounds good. Its the weekend before spring break and i'll be in town. Just realized that my dad may have an interest in going as well. He's not much for internet forums and whatnot, but loves his Nikon N2020 to death when he finds free time. I didnt think of him much as a photographer but I know he's always had an interest. So we're having dinner (he's in town for a seminar) and we start talking cameras, and possibility of going up to the 10D by the end of the year, or selling the canon glass too and going with the D70, depending on a lot of things, and the subject of film comes up. I was mentioning different black and white films I wanted to try out if I can get my 50mm working, and he knew them all, granted its been several years and he mixed up the names, but he was telling me the characteristics of the different Ilford's and whatnot, up untill then, I never realized that he had as much of an interest as I did in this stuff, he just ran outta time after becoming a lawyer and having 5 kids.. lol

~Andrew
    Last edited by philic1013; 02-06-2004 at 02:10 PM.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Unhappy sounds like SO much fun

And unfortunately I won't be able to make it - I know I wasn't on the list, but I had been seriously considering it. Reg popped the question last week: [ no not THAT question...] "I'm going to New Orleans the end of March for a flooring conference. Would you like to come with me?" I've been WAITING for him to ask me along on one of his many trips. So I have to save the $$ that I would have used for Florida for NO. such a dilemma!

ENJOY!!!

And SOMEONE had better bring a Holga.

Megan

Sorry Dude

Steve,

So frickin sorry but can't make it. Just got back from a week long trip to Orlando. Plus going to Korea in mid-March so I am saving the pennies.

But I will make it down there sometime to hang even if it's not for a gathering.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I will be there...in spirit

Well, now that I am officially NOT going, I would at least like to remotely participate in the print exchange. Any requests for any of my shots? They'll be either 5x7s or 8x10s.

Bummed cause I can't go...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sorry to say, but plans have changed here as well, Turns out, the calendar I have been planning things on is outdated, wrong spring break listed. Which means, in addition to several things i need to rearrange and plan again, I wont be in town at all for the weekend of the gathering! Sorry guys, maybe the next time around..

~Andrew

No problem, Andrew...

Quote Originally Posted by philic1013
    Sorry to say, but plans have changed here as well, Turns out, the calendar I have been planning things on is outdated, wrong spring break listed. Which means, in addition to several things i need to rearrange and plan again, I wont be in town at all for the weekend of the gathering! Sorry guys, maybe the next time around..

~Andrew
    As they used to say, "maybe we'll catch you on the flip side". BTW, an archaic reference to those old music things called records...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Who sets these meetings up? And what all do you do at them?

I'm new to the site and just kind of curious.

One thing's for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    Who sets these meetings up?
    It ain't ever gonna be ME again. Let's just leave it at that...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Awww... you sound like you need a hug...
    It seems as though this gathering should be fun, despite the non attendees...
    *hopefull smiles*

Thread Information