• 03-02-2004, 02:12 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Some snaps from South Beach...
    Well, by now many of you have seen the great shots Gene and Penny have posted from their weekend in Miami Beach. I want to thank them both again for making the trip and especially for being such good company over the weekend (not to mention the photos I got!).

I have to admit, I'm a bit embarrased by all the nice comments they've posted about my showing them around the area, but the truth is, being a "tour guide" and host would be NO fun at all if I didn't have people with me that were genuinely interested in what I was saying and where we were going...

As both Gene and Penny quickly discovered, Miami and especially Miami Beach (and ESPECIALLY South Beach) are communities of incredible contrasts from both a visual and human point of view.

And as much as I would love to show proof that women as beautiful as a Cindy Crawford walk by about every SIXTY SECONDS, I think I'll leave the people shots for another time.

What follows are some fun and facinating architectual shots that I grabbed in about an hour of wandering around South Beach on Sunday. Keep in mind these images were all taken in an area roughly a square mile...
  • 03-02-2004, 02:31 PM
    Asylum Steve
    4 Attachment(s)
    The past...
    Miami Beach is primarily known for its stunning Tropical Art Deco architecture. While many gems, both small and large, have been thoughtlessly demolished for new construction over the years, enough people had the wisdom and vision to finally form strong legal protection for many of the remaining structures. There is now an official Historical Art Deco District with strict zoning laws regarding maintaining and renovating these treasures. The district consists of approximately 400 buildings...

The first shot is the Century Hotel on Ocean Drive (designed by Henry Hohauser 1939). It is a classic example of the Tropical (or Moderne) Deco style that is used again and again on the beach.

The second shot is a little further up on Ocean Drive. I thought the symmetry and pattern of the windows and ledges on this hotel corner made a good subject for my new Canon EF 15mm fisheye lens.

Next is a much larger Deco Hotel, the Park Central, also on Ocean Drive. And finally, the (currently) abandoned Paris Theatre on nearby Washington Avenue. I'm actually dumbfounded by this, as the Paris is an amazing building, both inside and out. It has served as a nightclub in several incarnations. Perhaps someone has plans for it soon. I hope so...
  • 03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
    Asylum Steve
    4 Attachment(s)
    ...meets the future.
    What makes the Deco District even more interesting is that many of the buildings sit side by side with much more modern buildings...

This first pic is at the corner of Washington Avenue and Fifth street. It is a super modern design which includes a tall glass tower. The building is the home of the renown China Grill restaurant as well as Ocean Drive Magazine.

Next is a funky office building about half a block away. This entrance is tucked into a small alcove off the street. I love the combination of the dots of the walkway and the grid of the windows.

After that, a great play of balcony shapes and colors on a brand new condo building nearby.

Finally, the recently built Lincoln Road movie theatre and shopping complex. This is a good example of a "futuristic yet retro" style. Almost a Buck Rogers look. I was lucky enough to get that perfect late afternoon light which created quite the dramatic effect...
  • 03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
    Asylum Steve
    2 Attachment(s)
    And BEYOND...
    These final shots deserve a post of their own. They are of the "out of this world" new (few years old) South Beach Publix Supermarket. While the tight framing of my pics don't really give a good idea of the overall size, shape, and design of the building, trust me when I say most people's jaws drop the first time they see it. What is pictured here is one side, the main entrance and glass facade.

If ever there was a single microcosm of South Beach, it would have to be this store. On any given day at any given time, you're likely to rub shoulders with little old Jewish ladies, stunning six foot glamazon models, Rastas with dreads tucked into knit caps the size of small children, drag queens, street people, yuppies, and yucas (young urban cuban americans). Basically humans of nearly every size, shape, and color...

BTW, of the many languages spoken, English may well be the one you hear the least... :-)
  • 03-02-2004, 03:31 PM
    another view
    Blue - the sky is actually still blue! I was there a couple of years ago - very fun area. Thanks for sharing.
  • 03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
    Liz
    Welcome back!
    Hi Steve -
    Thanks for the report on your weekend. It sounds like you guys really had a good time. By the looks of your sky, the weather was good too.

Nice lens! I enjoyed viewing your photos. I love those wide angle fisheyes. The colors are great, and you did a great job showing us around Miami. I was there about 25 years ago, and forgot more than I knew. I'm amazed at the beauty of the buildings. And, enjoyed all the information and history you provided. I almost felt like I had been there.

Liz :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    These final shots deserve a post of their own. They are of the "out of this world" new (few years old) South Beach Publix Supermarket. While the tight framing of my pics don't really give a good idea of the overall size, shape, and design of the building, trust me when I say most people's jaws drop the first time they see it. What is pictured here is one side, the main entrance and glass facade.

If ever there was a single microcosm of South Beach, it would have to be this store. On any given day at any given time, you're likely to rub shoulders with little old Jewish ladies, stunning six foot glamazon models, Rastas with dreads tucked into knit caps the size of small children, drag queens, street people, yuppies, and yucas (young urban cuban americans). Basically humans of nearly every size, shape, and color...

BTW, of the many languages spoken, English may well be the one you hear the least... :-)

• 03-03-2004, 02:12 PM
    dsl712
    Awesome
    Really good stuff Steve. Just wished I was there. Seb and I got together this weekend and were talking about taking a trip down to see you to do some studio work. Not a photo gathering but just to hang out and work.

Sorry, I couldn't make it but I am going to Korea later this month. I hope I can bring back some stuff that is even remotely like your China portfolio.

Dennis
  • 03-03-2004, 02:17 PM
    Sebastian
    Steve,

INteresting progression, the first few shots don't really speak to me, but as the list goes down they get more and more interesting. Is that a reflection of your won feelings towards these landmarks? Or were you just warming up with the lens and camera? :)

I have always enjoyed your view on architecture. Every time we hung out in Chcago you took notice of things that I never would have.

Take care Superman. ;)
  • 03-04-2004, 11:05 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Actually...
    Thanks, Seb. I know we talked about this a bit, but what I forgot to mention is that the order I posted these images here is NOT the order I shot them in, so your warming up theory, while interesting, isn't true.

It's more that, for the purposes of these shots, I tried to capture the Art Deco buildings in a very symmetrical manner. That is really the nature of their design, and the logical way you would view and perceive them if you were there looking at them in person. It may not, however, be the most interesting way to present them visually in a photo...

When I shot the more modern structures, I had no desire to capture any kind of symmetry in my composition (aside from the "dots and grids" pic). Besides the fact that they were not symmetrical buildings, I think the fun was going with and maybe exaggerating the free form design. Shapes and angles...

Perhaps subconsiously, this was a way of emphasizing the contrast of the visuals between the old and the new...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Steve,

INteresting progression, the first few shots don't really speak to me, but as the list goes down they get more and more interesting. Is that a reflection of your won feelings towards these landmarks? Or were you just warming up with the lens and camera? :)

I have always enjoyed your view on architecture. Every time we hung out in Chcago you took notice of things that I never would have.

Take care Superman. ;)

• 03-04-2004, 11:07 AM
    Sebastian
    Makes sense...
  • 03-04-2004, 11:12 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Thanks Dennis...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dsl712
    Seb and I got together this weekend and were talking about taking a trip down to see you to do some studio work. Dennis

Well, you guys know you are welcome anytime. Just give me some notice. BTW, if Seb is coming with you, I have to notify the local authorities, uh, because of what he did LAST TIME he was here... :D :D :D
  • 03-04-2004, 11:22 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Well, you guys know you are welcome anytime. Just give me some notice. BTW, if Seb is coming with you, I have to notify the local authorities, uh, because of what he did LAST TIME he was here... :D :D :D

Damn, I forgot about that. Well, they only said we had to do that for three years, better than the jail time I guess...

I still stand by my statement that the sea lion was asking for it. Zoo or no zoo, he had a bad attitude.
  • 03-04-2004, 11:24 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Thanks Liz...
    Twenty five years, eh? That would put you there not too long before the "Miami Vice" era. :D

The early 80's was when the first huge wave of change hit Miami Beach. Besides the hit TV show, It included Bruce Weber shooting memorable Calvin Klein ads using sculpted models on the rooftops of the Art Deco hotels. This rediscovery of the striking "Urban Tropical" visuals of the area opened the floodgates of both the tourist and fashion industries.

Since then, South Beach has continually evolved, morphed, and reinvented itself many times over.

The way things are now, with a renewed passion for aggressive development using extremely inovative and visonary architectual designs, if you go away for even six months (or in my case, a year), you'll come back to find many changes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    Hi Steve -
    Thanks for the report on your weekend. It sounds like you guys really had a good time. By the looks of your sky, the weather was good too.

Nice lens! I enjoyed viewing your photos. I love those wide angle fisheyes. The colors are great, and you did a great job showing us around Miami. I was there about 25 years ago, and forgot more than I knew. I'm amazed at the beauty of the buildings. And, enjoyed all the information and history you provided. I almost felt like I had been there.

Liz :cool: