Some New Shots

Printable View

• 05-26-2005, 06:01 PM
    Gerry Widen
    4 Attachment(s)
    Some New Shots
    I feel bad I couldn't make it to the gathering last weekend. Real busy with errands Saturday and I enjoyed my oldest daughters graduation from law school on Sunday. Anyway I haven't posted photos in a while. I've started to use my N80 recently. The first 2wo shots were taken with the N80 and 28mm lens and the last 2wo with an old IIIc Leica and Voigtlander 25mm lens. Some of the scanning isn't great.
  • 05-26-2005, 06:19 PM
    Liz
    Re: Some New Shots
    We missed you! Maybe the next time. Wow! Congratulations to your daughter (and her Dad) on her graduation from law school. That's quite an accomplishment.

I love the shots. Digital b&w doesn't always do it for me - so it's good to see some film! ;) My favorite is the 2nd one (I think) - the newspaper girl. :D That's way cool.

All of them are great. I've missed your street photography, Gerry. That's about all I do now because I don't have much time with my camera - and it's my favorite.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Widen
    I feel bad I couldn't make it to the gathering last weekend. Real busy with errands Saturday and I enjoyed my oldest daughters graduation from law school on Sunday. Anyway I haven't posted photos in a while. I've started to use my N80 recently. The first 2wo shots were taken with the N80 and 28mm lens and the last 2wo with an old IIIc Leica and Voigtlander 25mm lens. Some of the scanning isn't great.

• 05-26-2005, 06:31 PM
    Old Timer
    Oh yeah I got to go with the newpaper girl too. Great catch Gerry. Always look forward to your post of street photography.

I would love to do some of this type photography, but opportunities are limited in a town of 3000. I am generally out looking for the right light on barns. In college the the candid on campus shots were always my favorite. Students got use to seeing me with a couple of cameras around my neck and didn't pay much attention to me, so I was able to get some nice candid people pics.
  • 05-26-2005, 06:34 PM
    Photo-John
    When?
    When does your book come out? And where does your daughter get off thinking her graduation is so important?!

Just glad to have you stop by every once in a while and be my street photography inspiration :)

The second one is wonderful. That's a good catch. The trick is to be ready. You get a lot more of those ironic visual tricks than most photographers. Volume and success ratio - that's the difference between a luck and a trained, prepared, expert.
  • 05-27-2005, 06:02 AM
    another view
    The second one is a great catch - did you have something along those lines before once? All of them are great - thanks for posting these. I'm always impressed how you get these shots with lenses that short without people noticing. A lens that wide in these shots really gives it more of a dramatic feel than an 85 or something, but you've got to be really close.
  • 05-27-2005, 06:23 AM
    Speed
    Hey Gerry,
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Widen

I love my N80. I know it like the back of my hand.

Nice shots. I really like the second image.
  • 05-27-2005, 03:33 PM
    jar_e
    Re: Hey Gerry,
    Great shots! Love your photos, and very good eye for composition and good candid shots.

Great shooting,

Jared
  • 05-28-2005, 06:57 AM
    Gerry Widen
    Thanks everyone for taking a look and the kind comments. While I primarily use heavy brass rangefinder cameras I have "discovered" my N80 recently. It is a really versatile camera and has a solid well built feel. I like wide angle lenses because it gets me closer to the subjects. Often people are so engrossed in what they are doing they usually don't even know I have taken their picture.
  • 05-28-2005, 07:05 AM
    another view
    I didn't comment on this earlier, but didn't know you had an N80. The thing I think is interesting is that to get shots like this you're using a wide lens and pretty close to your subject. An N80 isn't exactly Leica-quiet! Makes me think I'm just worrying way too much about it...! :)
  • 05-28-2005, 07:34 AM
    Chunk
    I like the new work, Gerry. Your sensitivity and humor come shining through in these shots. That second one is right up there with the manakin shot of yours. Maybe you need to do a newspaper series. :)
  • 05-28-2005, 07:51 AM
    Gerry Widen
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by another view
    I didn't comment on this earlier, but didn't know you had an N80. The thing I think is interesting is that to get shots like this you're using a wide lens and pretty close to your subject. An N80 isn't exactly Leica-quiet! Makes me think I'm just worrying way too much about it...! :)

You make a good point. Bus as I mentioned some people are so in their own world they don't even know I took their photo. This one is from the same group but I didn't post it because the scan was so bad. Also taken with the N80 and 28mm. From about 4our feet I took one shot and walked away. Now he is on the internet with no idea.
  • 05-28-2005, 06:42 PM
    megan
    Shots
    Wow, the first one is kind of eerie in a way - the disappearing man in the window.
    I love the second - it's very clever. The third is rather sobering.

Megan