• 10-03-2004, 10:51 PM
    racingpinarello
    4 Attachment(s)
    Some fashion shots from today
    I was contacted a week ago from a model who wanted to some new lifestyle and fashion shots for her portfolio. I've always wanted to try a ring flash, so I rented a battery pack and a Broncolor ring flash for the shoot.

I didn't use it for all of the shots, but I was impressed by how this light just makes people pop out of the scene. It was very cool.

You can tell which ones had flash, the others had just a reflector and natural light. It was foggy so I had mother nature's softbox working for me. Taken in or around Stanford University, and a park near my day time job in Menlo Park.

Loren
  • 10-03-2004, 10:55 PM
    racingpinarello
    3 Attachment(s)
    Some fashion shots from today - Natural Light
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    I was contacted a week ago from a model who wanted to some new lifestyle and fashion shots for her portfolio. I've always wanted to try a ring flash, so I rented a battery pack and a Broncolor ring flash for the shoot.

I didn't use it for all of the shots, but I was impressed by how this light just makes people pop out of the scene. It was very cool.

You can tell which ones had flash, the others had just a reflector and natural light. It was foggy so I had mother nature's softbox working for me. Taken in or around Stanford University, and a park near my day time job in Menlo Park.

Loren

These are some of the natural light shots. Very very little done in photoshop, and mostly straight from the camera and PhaseOne.

Loren
  • 10-04-2004, 12:06 AM
    schrackman
    Re: Some fashion shots from today
    These are absolutely wonderful, Loren. I'm very impressed. Cute model and great poses. She should be very pleased with your work. Great job!

The first and third one on the second set are my favorite. For the first set, I like the chain link fence behind the model but for some reason I feel like she should interact with it, like place one hand back and grab some of the links. But that's just a nitpick, no big deal.

BTW, can you explain the "ring flash" to me? I probably know what you're talking about but I'm drawing a complete blank right now. It's late and I guess I should hit the sack. :(

Ray
  • 10-04-2004, 05:10 AM
    Speed
    Very Nice!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    These are some of the natural light shots. Very very little done in photoshop, and mostly straight from the camera and PhaseOne.

Loren

I'm with Ray. The first one in the second set is my favorite, followed by the third one in the second set.

I also agree, cute model, and great poses.

I'm guessing you used your Canon thingy for these? ;-)
  • 10-04-2004, 10:15 AM
    mtbbrian
    Like Them!
    Good Stuff Loren.
    I like the ring light stuff especially.
    I have always liked the look it gives.
    Brian
  • 10-04-2004, 05:22 PM
    racingpinarello
    Re: Some fashion shots from today
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    These are absolutely wonderful, Loren. I'm very impressed. Cute model and great poses. She should be very pleased with your work. Great job!

The first and third one on the second set are my favorite. For the first set, I like the chain link fence behind the model but for some reason I feel like she should interact with it, like place one hand back and grab some of the links. But that's just a nitpick, no big deal.

BTW, can you explain the "ring flash" to me? I probably know what you're talking about but I'm drawing a complete blank right now. It's late and I guess I should hit the sack. :(

Ray

Hey Ray,

Thanks for the comments. Thank you for telling me which one you liked, because it helps to know what image makes the biggest impact.

As for the ring flash, the flash mounts to your camera and your lens goes in the middle. I never knew how it worked, but I found out that it envelops your subject similar to an umbrella. It's a very cool effect and will probably rent the flash again.

Loren
  • 10-04-2004, 05:24 PM
    racingpinarello
    Re: Very Nice!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    I'm with Ray. The first one in the second set is my favorite, followed by the third one in the second set.

I also agree, cute model, and great poses.

I'm guessing you used your Canon thingy for these? ;-)

Thanks Speed..I did use my Canon 1Dmk2 and my Canon 10D for these shots. The ones posted are from the 1D, and I used my flash meter and set the white balance manually on the lifestyle shots, and used the flash setting for the ring flash.

Those Canon thingys' work :p

Loren
  • 10-04-2004, 05:26 PM
    racingpinarello
    Thanks Brian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Good Stuff Loren.
    I like the ring light stuff especially.
    I have always liked the look it gives.
    Brian

It was my first time using a ring flash, and it was a blast to see the effects from the monitor.

Hope you are doing well!!

Loren
  • 10-04-2004, 06:07 PM
    I_Fly
    Three stand out to me...
    Hi Loren,

I agree with Ray and Speed, the first and third shots of the natural lights shots stand out but I also like the last shot of the first series. I wish there were someplace around here that rented photo equipment. I've toyed with the thought of starting a rental business but not sure there's enough demand for the effort that would be required, not to mention, I don't have a lot of extra time! :)

Don't let Speed give you any crap about using a Canon. Some people just don't recognize quality equipment when it hits them upside the head! :D