ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Solar Filters

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar

Solar Filters

I have a friend... no really, this actually is for a photographer friend who seems to think that I have all the answers to his photo questions... *smile* He is obviously mistaken...but he wants to photograph venus as it passes over the sun and he does not now have the time to order a solar filter for his camera. He uses the same equipment as me... Nikon D100, F100...
    Does anyone have any suggestions for my friend in his attempt to photograph the sun?

Thanks to all in advance.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    I have a friend... no really, this actually is for a photographer friend who seems to think that I have all the answers to his photo questions... *smile* He is obviously mistaken...but he wants to photograph venus as it passes over the sun and he does not now have the time to order a solar filter for his camera. He uses the same equipment as me... Nikon D100, F100...
    Does anyone have any suggestions for my friend in his attempt to photograph the sun?.
    Obviously, the solar filter is the way to go. However, you could try the pinhole trick: cover the lens completely and poke a tiny pinhole through it. This sometimes works. I am not responsible for destroyed equipment or eyes!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

A Solar Filter...

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    Does anyone have any suggestions for my friend in his attempt to photograph the sun?

Thanks to all in advance.
    Is the safest, and most enjoyable way to go. There are other options though.

The pinhole trick Michael suggested is one. I would avoid it if possible. He warned you. Another is to use projection. Some folks use a piece of cardboard with a pinhole and then let the sun's image shine through onto a sheet of white or black paper. Try both and see which gives the better image. You can then photograph the image on the paper.

Another method is to project the image with a telescope or spotting scope. Same principle, but you have to be careful. Some telescopes (Schmitt-Cassegrains) will build up internal temperatures that can ruin your scope. A basic refractor should be fine.

Hoya makes a Neutral Density Filter (ND400) that is safe for photographing the sun. Check your local camera shop. It reduces the light by nine stops.

You can also stack ND filters to achieve the nine stops you need to reduce the light by. More glass means less detail, but it can be done. And if you don't have enough ND filters, you can add your CPL on top of them. At full polarization, a CPL reduces the light by two stops.

Also, you can check your local hobby stores that carry telescopes. They may have mylar filters, or even mylar sheets that he can place over his lens and rubber band into place.

You can try Orion Telescopes (www.telescope.com) and have a filter sent to you by next day air. It'll cost him, but it'll save his eyes.

Hope this helps. And by all means, if he can't safely photograph the sun, then he shouldn't try! It's not worth damaging your eyes over. Besides, Venus transits the sun again in eight years. Here's a good source of info and ideas:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...cle_1258_1.asp
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Solar Filters

Mohr Power Solar, Inc., is an established design, service, sales and installation solar contractor, specializing in solar electricity, solar pool / SPA heating, solar hot water heating systems for residential, commercial and industrial applications.

Mohr power Solar, Inc., was founded in 1982 to promote the public awareness and supply a “ Clean Environmentally Safe Energy ” to the Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. In addition, our company offers products, information and expertise to our customers nationwide.

Mohr Power Solar, Inc., has performed more services and has one of the largest customer base of satisfied solar energy installation customers. Mohr Power is the first solar service and repair company to service 165,000 systems for all manufacturers.

Mohr Power is the first to have a customer base of over 35,000 solar energy installation customers.

n8

spam spam spam spam spam
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Mohr Power Solar, Inc., is an established design, service, sales and installation solar contractor, specializing in solar electricity, solar pool / SPA heating, solar hot water heating systems for residential, commercial and industrial applications.

Mohr power Solar, Inc., was founded in 1982 to promote the public awareness and supply a “ Clean Environmentally Safe Energy ” to the Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. In addition, our company offers products, information and expertise to our customers nationwide.

Mohr Power Solar, Inc., has performed more services and has one of the largest customer base of satisfied solar energy installation customers. Mohr Power is the first solar service and repair company to service 165,000 systems for all manufacturers.

Mohr Power is the first to have a customer base of over 35,000 solar energy installation customers.

http://mohrpower.com

Thread Information