ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Slide copying question...

I know the old axim about getting what you pay for, but here is something I have been wondering about for quite a while.

Has anyone ever used one of these lens mounted slide copiers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem

I really want to get back into slide, and negative film, but I can't afford a film scanner. Not even a chep one. However I might be able to swing one of these doohickies. I have about 200 slides that I hung on to after a huge culling I did of my film negs/trans after i switched over to digital. It would be nice to be able to copy them digitaly, and to have the freedom to copy new shots aswell.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Slide copying question...

After posting this I got to looking at my old slides and stuff and I wanted to try jerry-rigging something. Not feeling too creative this morning I decided to go the simple route, so I just simply took an opaque piece of plastic and set it on my laptop monitor. I then lined up my D60 + Sigma 18-50mm DC and snapped a few pics. This was the best of what I got, but it still looked not so great, so I converted it to B&W in photoshop using the channels mixer.

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Hey Almo,

I have never used one, but like you, have wondered how good they are. I wanted to post some images that I had on slides a while back. I put the slides on my light box, then I put my camera on a tripod, and used my 100mm macro lens to copy the slides. It worked OK for posting on the web, but I don't know what prints would look like from them.

Here is a link to the ones I did.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well that is definitely better than what I got with my dumb laptop method. I have plans to try a few more things, some of which I am sure I havn't even thought of yet...

My real goal is just to get some decent dupes' for sharing on the web, but if I could get some nice printable/archival digital images from them, well that would just be the icing, eh?
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information