Slide copying question...

Printable View

• 01-22-2006, 05:19 AM
    almo
    Slide copying question...
    I know the old axim about getting what you pay for, but here is something I have been wondering about for quite a while.

Has anyone ever used one of these lens mounted slide copiers?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem

I really want to get back into slide, and negative film, but I can't afford a film scanner. Not even a chep one. However I might be able to swing one of these doohickies. I have about 200 slides that I hung on to after a huge culling I did of my film negs/trans after i switched over to digital. It would be nice to be able to copy them digitaly, and to have the freedom to copy new shots aswell.
  • 01-22-2006, 06:06 AM
    almo
    Re: Slide copying question...
    After posting this I got to looking at my old slides and stuff and I wanted to try jerry-rigging something. Not feeling too creative this morning I decided to go the simple route, so I just simply took an opaque piece of plastic and set it on my laptop monitor. I then lined up my D60 + Sigma 18-50mm DC and snapped a few pics. This was the best of what I got, but it still looked not so great, so I converted it to B&W in photoshop using the channels mixer.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...m/IMG_6078.jpg
  • 01-22-2006, 06:27 AM
    mjs1973
    Hey Almo,

I have never used one, but like you, have wondered how good they are. I wanted to post some images that I had on slides a while back. I put the slides on my light box, then I put my camera on a tripod, and used my 100mm macro lens to copy the slides. It worked OK for posting on the web, but I don't know what prints would look like from them.

Here is a link to the ones I did.
  • 01-22-2006, 07:01 AM
    almo
    Well that is definitely better than what I got with my dumb laptop method. I have plans to try a few more things, some of which I am sure I havn't even thought of yet... :p

My real goal is just to get some decent dupes' for sharing on the web, but if I could get some nice printable/archival digital images from them, well that would just be the icing, eh?