ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Got a new job...

I found out today that I will be working in my schools photo lab next semester. Not only will I get to hone my skills but I will be paid to do it. Even though the pay isn't great (minimum wage) I at least have access to a full darkroom. Today also ended my photography class, and I have to say if you ever get an oppurtunity to take a photo class from any school do it, you won't regret it. I learned so much in one semester than I ever would have on my own.

The properties of the job include setting up the equipment for other students, mixing chemicals (D-76, fixer, stop bath, Dektol, etc.), Critiquing others work, and troubleshooting. So now with this extra income it looks like I will be able to go full digital by the end of this year or by the time I graduate (this time next year).

I just wanted to share my good news with all-Zack
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Got a new job...

Congratulations Zack! That's a large accomplishment and a nice step on the way to becoming a photographer! Don't be concerned with the fact that this is a minimum wage job. The money you save on developing will help offset that. But, more importantly, the knowledge you are learning is invaluable.

Congats again!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

If I couple this job with my other on campus job (landscaping), and my other off campus job (The GAP), then I guess its not too bad, just a lot of late nights since the lab doesn't close until 12am, and then there is about another hours clean up. Oh well such is the life of a college student.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Very cool! Working for you school is very rewarding, I know it has been for me.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

The greatest boost ever to my photo life was getting a job as a photographer on my college yearbook. We got paid for 15 hours a week but would work 40 hours, it wasn't the money it was the experience that I was after. I also had access to the full darkroom so that was a real boom to the darkroom skills as well. There were several weekends when I would hit the darkroom on Friday night after a ball game and not come out till noon on Saturday. Yeah college life was a little different. If I tried doing that today I would collapse from exhaustion. Congrads on nailing down the job. Now make the very most of it by making your self a better photographer because of it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Just a quick congrats!

It's nice to see the excitement.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

That's great! Although it is only a one hour place, I enjoy working in a lab and it has taught me alot.

With all that work, how will you manage time for photography?! Good luck, and congrats.

Thanks for the congrats guys, and payn I always have my camera ready and with me so I try and least snap a few shots a day, and now I can afford to process them now that I have the means. I was alwyas reluctant to shoot to much film, because it costs too much to process, now I can get film and paper at wholesale cost (Neopan 400 36 ex, $3.25).

Thanks guys-Zack
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Awesome!

I had the same job for a couple of years when I was in college. It's the best for a photographer because, basically, you're getting paid to do your own photo work. And I agree about the value of taking a college-level photo class with darkroom time. There's nothing that teaches the rules of exposure better than time spent in the darkroom making print exposures. Because the priciples of exposure are the same when your printing as when you're taking a picture, darkroom time is the best way to learn. Even if you're going to be an all digital photographer, darkroom experience is invaluable. Plus, every photographer should be initiated with the smell of stop bath and fix, and be baptized by getting their hands wet with developer and wash bath

Congratulations!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

mmm...gotta love the smell of fixer in the morning
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Such memories!
    I remember working in the photo lab back in college..
    At my school, Weber State, we had one paying position all the others worked for credit, but we could come and go in the lab any time we wanted.
    Have fun with it! You'll learn a lot.
    Brian
    It's pronnounced "We-ber" not "web-ber"... ;)
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

My school http://berry.edu is almost the same when it comes to work, but everyone can work on campus if they wish, but lab worker jobs are extremely hard to come by, whether it be computer lab or photo lab. I only wish I had more time I could work in this environment (I graduate next year). After college who knows...I might want to work somewhere in a lab...its not like I will ever actually use my degree anyway (history).
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    My school http://berry.edu is almost the same when it comes to work, but everyone can work on campus if they wish, but lab worker jobs are extremely hard to come by, whether it be computer lab or photo lab. I only wish I had more time I could work in this environment (I graduate next year). After college who knows...I might want to work somewhere in a lab...its not like I will ever actually use my degree anyway (history).
    Time to think about taking some other courses to get a minor in business, accounting, or your teachers certification.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Tried the teacher certification, but too many hoops to jump through at my school. I only have 4 more required courses, and a few electives and I will be done. I go through a summer teaching program when I graduate so I will have something to fall back on. I will probably take some courses wherever my girlfriend decides to go to grad school, or I might work on my masters (just not sure in what). When I went into school I was going to teach, and still want to. I just can't make myself jump through pointless hoops. Every professor that works outside of our education department thinks that our education program is a joke, and I tend to believe them.

Who knows I might take that one magical photo that will be worth millions, and they will call me the next Ansel Adams...... A guy can dream can't he?
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Degree

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    its not like I will ever actually use my degree anyway (history).
    Don't worry about it. It's the process that matters. I've got a philosophy degree. Can't get much more worthless than that

But I guess I'm licensed to BS, huh?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

and you got people like us to spout it off to as well....
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

Thread Information